Bought a splitting axe on Thursday.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The handle grip and color are the only differences. Performance wise they are identical. To my knowledge the Super Split 36 has been discontinued for several months but stock hasn't been sold out (yet).

So the yellow paint on the handle makes it cost more? Boy buyers have got to be stupid to fall for that!!!! glad I didn't get the yellow paint on my handle.

:D Al

I'd pay the few extra $ to get the yellow handle. Te grip on the all black ones sucks IMO.

Philbert mentioned hockey tape would be a good fix.
Yeah but, seems silly to have to compensate for it by adding tape. The orange rubber ha plenty of grip and doesn't seem to be coming off. I just felt like they were trying to cheap out with the all black handles. Maybe trying to sell to a different price point I guess.

That makes it more of a "traditional" tool!!!:baaa:

You got me....I raffed. Lol

Actually my x27 was more expensive than than the all black one I bought for my dad in May.

I like the orange rubber grip but had no issues using the all black one grip wise.

I'll add one more bit from my experience.

I only hand split fresh bucked or bucked yesterday wood.

Some seasoned log ends of the rounds just go nope.

Lop a cookie off and good to go.

This is on the 100" lengths I primarily cut. I've had this issue with all types of wood, even the historically peach splitters.

I know what your saying. I had logs sit for 1.5 years and the ends are well dried. The damn stuff didn't want to split from the dry end but if I turned the round over and hit it from the fresh cut side no problem.

I know what your saying. I had logs sit for 1.5 years and the eds are well dried. The damn stuff didn't want to split from the try end but if I turned the round over and hit it from the fresh cut side no problem.
Must be the manner in which it dries. Sort of like how really dry standing dead wood seems to be a little more dense than split dried wood.

I know what your saying. I had logs sit for 1.5 years and the ends are well dried. The damn stuff didn't want to split from the dry end but if I turned the round over and hit it from the fresh cut side no problem.

Ding ding!!!!!

My experiences EXACTLY!!!!:cheers:

If the fresh end gives a hint of splitting but still a stinker, the old end gets lopped off and I try that.

I won't even attempt these ends. This is black ash in the log yard that was cut this past winter and delivered late winter/real early spring.

Yeah but, seems silly to have to compensate for it by adding tape. The orange rubber ha plenty of grip and doesn't seem to be coming off. I just felt like they were trying to cheap out with the all black handles. Maybe trying to sell to a different price point I guess.

Just curious... Am I the only one that actually prefers not having a tacky/grippy handle? My hands get sore if I use something with too much grip. I love the lack of orange rubber on my all black X27. I feel the same about grips on shovels, hammers, pliers, etc... I'm a big fan of "you do your thing, I'll do mine," but it seems like a lot of you guys have a gripe with the grip. Just seeing if you have a particular reason why.

I don't consider the orange handle too tacky or grippy, just right IMO. But I did think that the all black handle offered any grip. I though the plastic was too smooth and if wet could be slippery, more than a wood handle even. I've never put the all black one through wood but those were my first impressions.

Call BS all you want but I do and have split a lot of elm by hand and there are plenty of other who do as well. However, not ALL elm can be split by hand but you'd be surprised how much can be after noodled in half and let seasoned for 8-9 months. It still comes down to technique.

Indeed! Elm and black locust are the two I've had that put up a good fight. Osage orange too! But by hand is the way to go. I find it more efficient and much faster and im kind of picky... I like some six inch thick piece's and some smaller ones.But i think the 5 and 8lbs mauls are where its at personally. Hate polymer or plastic handles. Just saying though

Indeed! Elm and black locust are the two I've had that put up a good fight. Osage orange too! But by hand is the way to go. I find it more efficient and much faster and im kind of picky... I like some six inch thick piece's and some smaller ones.But i think the 5 and 8lbs mauls are where its at personally. Hate polymer or plastic handles. Just saying though

Black locust must come in more than one species. Out here BL splits like a dream and the drier it gets the easier it splits. A few years ago I had 80 cords in my stash 90-95% all done manually, a lot of it with a fiskars; I already had a good stash before Idropped the dime on the X27.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back