Bought a stumo grinder today after demo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mowingman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
After getting some good input here on this forum, and after demoing a couple of machines, I purchased a stump grinder today.
The local dealer for Rayco, is also a dealer for Bandit. He brought me three machines to demo. A buddy of mine who has a tree trimming service had two, 36" diameter stumps ready for me to test the machines on.
Machine #1: Used 2000 Rayco model RG1625A. New 25hp Kohler engine with warranty, new hydraulic control valves, new paint, was a former rental unit traded in. Priced at $6300.00. This machine looked good from a distance, but on close inspection, it needed work. All the pins and bushings in the various pivot points were sloppy and loose. Machine had manual steer, not the newer hydraulic steering. After looking it over, I decided not to even demo it.
Machine #2: Brand new Rayco1625A with 25hp Kohler engine. This machine was very easy to operate for a novice like me. I really liked the way you can operate two functions with the one hand finger-tip control. It had a fast travel speed, was very easy to maneuver, and finished off the stump in about 15 minutes. Priced at $12,650.00
Machine #3: Bandit SC252 with a 31hp B&S Vanguard engine. Brand new machine. This machine is heavier than the Rayco by about 300 lbs. And, you could tell it. It was a little cumbersome to move around, and even the fast travel speed was slow. I did really like the manual clutch, as it is less likely to have a problem than the electric clutch used on most machines. It has more power of course, but I actually took nearly 25 minutes to grind a stump the same size the Rayco did in 15 minutes. The problem for me was the control valves. There is no way to rest your hand on anything, and the levers are too long to work 2 at the same time with your fingertips. It was just plain awkward to control what with having to use 2 hands if you want to control 2 functions at once. I suppose I could get used to it, but the Rayco was more user friendly for a novice. Price, with a 27hp Kohler, was exactly the same as
the Rayco.
I bought the Rayco on the spot. Well, actually, they are not bringing my machine out until Monday. I can't wait to get it. Already have a backlog of over 100 stumps to grind for my friend.
Thanks to tose here who offered comments about the various machines they have used.

Good luck with your machine, I have the same one. When it gets delivered check the electric clutch and make sure it has the updated fan attachment. I burned 2 clutches in mine before Rayco added this update to the unit. There was also a recent recall on the hydro drive motor, be sure you have the updated version. Get the extra wheel setup also, you do not need them every day as the machine is very stable but when you get to a very slopped area or a soft wet spot they work very well. Have fun and be careful. :)

Thanks, I will see if it has those upgrades. It is a brand new one off the assembly line, so, hopefully those items have been updated on it.
I will consider the extra tires, but, if we do not get some rain, we will not have to worry about soft spots. In fact, this drought we are in, has killed trees that are probably over 50 years old. Last year was the worst drought year here, since the near dust bowl drought of the early 50's.

Have you ever tried the Carlton huricain?
That monster is really productive, yet it has its down sides.
It's a tracked unit and it is sort of top heavy.
Its best on flat groung.
Good luck with your new Machine.

Latest posts

Back