Bought me a new trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go look and see if it has the screen in the muffler. If it does, take it out and retune it and see what happens. If it doesn't have the screen then take the muffler off and take a look at the piston. Let us know what you find.

Go look and see if it has the screen in the muffler. If it does, take it out and retune it and see what happens. If it doesn't have the screen then take the muffler off and take a look at the piston. Let us know what you find.

Sounds like you're running lean and overheating.

Sounds like you're running lean and overheating.

It looks like there is only an idle setting instead of the hi lo compared to other pics I've I've seen of 250s.

How does the muffler come off? I took the only screw I see holding it on off and it feels like its being held somewhere else?

It looks like there is only an idle setting instead of the hi lo compared to other pics I've I've seen of 250s.
Something is wrong here....!!!!!

I just called my dealer and asked about the whether the FS-250 comes with a "fixed carb" or an fully adjustable carb

with not only idle adjustment but also a high and low adjustment. He went and actually looked at two of them and said

that both DID have a fully adjustable carb with screws for BOTH high and low adjustment.

If yours does NOT have an adjustable carb...you need to change carbs to an adjustable..that's what I would do..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Mine has a H L and Idle adjustment. Dont know if it makes a difference but mine is a 250R.

Mine has a H L and Idle adjustment. Dont know if it makes a difference but mine is a 250R.
My dealer has BOTH and is why he checked BOTH (R model and handlebar model) BOTH were fully adjustable.

The OP sure has a like new FS-250..!!

I'd sure be changing carbs out to a fully adjustable one before he fries that piston by running lean..!!
J2F

A little of topic but has anyone compared the different types of shredder/mulcher blades where the ends are bent downwards?

The three tip 45°, the 4 tip 90°, the two tip 90° models? I have read that some complain of "build up" under the 90° models leading to a imbalanced rotation/strong vibration.

Sorry to derail your thread but I assume it is also interesting for you.

Last edited:
My dealer has BOTH and is why he checked BOTH (R model and handlebar model) BOTH were fully adjustable.

The OP sure has a like new FS-250..!!

I'd sure be changing carbs out to a fully adjustable one before he fries that piston by running lean..!!
J2F

This one looks brand new but is around 8 years old according to the guy I got it from. Found this thread the OP had no adjustments like me. Post 3 by Icso 10 leads me to believe older units didn't have them. Regardless,I'm leaving on vacation for a week so I took it to the shop. I relayed the info here as far as possibly running lean and how to fix that without a carb adjustment. Tech said it could be an ignition coil too which I also wondered about.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/154517.htm

A little of topic but has anyone compared the different types of shredder blades?

The three tip 45°, the 4 tip 90°, the two tip 90° models? I have read that some complain of "build up" under the 90° models leading to a imbalanced rotation.

Sorry to derail your thread but I assume it is also interesting for you.

Don't know about build up but definitely flip it upside down completely to mount it. That little washer barely snugs it on. At first I mounted it while on its side so it slipped off slightly when I put the cup and nut on. I didn't realize til I cranked it and the vibration was unreal. It didn't look or feel off but the vibration literally hurt. I thought this isn't right so I flipped it on its back completely and remounted it. Could run wide open then. It's easy to not get completely centered and not know it. At least for me it was but I'm also a noob at it. Besides that's what the directions say to do.

When I say mount let me add I bought the ninja looking 3 blade unit. That's what I used yesterday.

Last edited:
This one looks brand new but is around 8 years old according to the guy I got it from. Found this thread the OP had no adjustments like me. Post 3 by Icso 10 leads me to believe older units didn't have them. Regardless,I'm leaving on vacation for a week so I took it to the shop. I relayed the info here as far as possibly running lean and how to fix that without a carb adjustment. Tech said it could be an ignition coil too which I also wondered about.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/154517.htm

Keep us in the loop when you get it back from the shop.

My used fs 250 didn't have an adjustable carb. It was stalling out and needed a coil. Did the carb at the same time as the coil. WHAT a difference. It has a limiting coil so it took longer to get the carb adjusted, but worth it.

Wow that's a good offer. I would have kept it too though.

Back