bought some chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Quachito

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I ordered some chaps from Bailey's not too long ago. Let me tell you this, I bumped my knee with a cutter tooth last year and I had 7 stitches:

The cost of Labonville chaps shipped from Bailey's with Calif. sales tax is less then half the price of one stitch. I have always had a safety first mind set, but I am the first in my family to own a pair of chaps.

I wondered why I had not got them sooner. They are light and I don't even know they are on. I probably sweat more through my pants now but that's ok with me. I had no expectations except the safety gains, but it is a great great USA made product, in my opinion.

Like my granddad's hard hat said, "Think Safety First."

Funny you should mention that. I'm just about to order the Labonville Full-Wrap Chainsaw Safety Chaps from Bailey's. I was gonna get the Woodland Pro, but decided to spend a few extra dollars and get the full wrap.

Got Full-wrap Labonvilles a couple of years ago. When a bud saw them he seemed to sense how his current chaps left his lower extremities a bit nekkid. Then he asked Santa for some full-wraps. Santa obliged.

Good for you man, but sorry it took getting gouged to induce the investment.

but, better late than never.

I went whole hog when I decided I had pushed my luck enough, got full cutting pants, the forestry helmet, and the kevlar/rubber boots.

I ordered some chaps from Bailey's not too long ago. Let me tell you this, I bumped my knee with a cutter tooth last year and I had 7 stitches:

The cost of Labonville chaps shipped from Bailey's with Calif. sales tax is less then half the price of one stitch. I have always had a safety first mind set, but I am the first in my family to own a pair of chaps.

I wondered why I had not got them sooner. They are light and I don't even know they are on. I probably sweat more through my pants now but that's ok with me. I had no expectations except the safety gains, but it is a great great USA made product, in my opinion.

Like my granddad's hard hat said, "Think Safety First."

We have a tendency to wait until disaster strikes before we spend money on a safety item. Yep; those chaps get mighty hot. A nasty fall from chaps tangled in brush will turn a person to full wraps.

7 stitches isn't bad considering. Good for you for getting some chaps ordered. I think back to times when I didn't use them and it kind of makes me sick. Now they get loaded in the truck any time a chainsaw does. Just not worth it to not have them on.

I wanted to order from Bailey's but the shipping charges killed the deal for me.

Instead, I found a set of "pro" Husqvarna chaps on Amazon and bought them - free shipping. I like them but... The folks in Mexico that make them have no concept of Left and Right. The two legs are made the same, and the quick-connect buckles are on the wrong side on one leg, as well as being inside-out. The straps can't be easily adjusted when fastened, as the loose end of the strap is inside, next to my leg. The two legs aren't identical, as there's a left/right in the crotch area but the flap for the calf is the same - inside on one leg, outside on the other. Weird. Buckles are odd, too.

Jon

I wanted to order from Bailey's but the shipping charges killed the deal for me.

Instead, I found a set of "pro" Husqvarna chaps on Amazon and bought them - free shipping. I like them but... The folks in Mexico that make them have no concept of Left and Right. The two legs are made the same, and the quick-connect buckles are on the wrong side on one leg, as well as being inside-out. The straps can't be easily adjusted when fastened, as the loose end of the strap is inside, next to my leg. The two legs aren't identical, as there's a left/right in the crotch area but the flap for the calf is the same - inside on one leg, outside on the other. Weird. Buckles are odd, too.

Jon

man, that's weird....

I use these. I figured I am wearing pants *anyway* when out cutting, so why not? They are very comfortable and have decent pockets, including a wedge pocket. (well, a thigh pocket, I use it for wedges)

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accesso...s/clothes/pro-forest-protective-pants-summer/

That one is listed as summer weight, mine was a winter weight and actually around ten bucks cheaper. They must just alternate on their website for season.

I bought some chaps too. I forgot to put them on the other day and felt naked without them.
Chad

I use the Labonville's as well. I ordered mine direct from the manufacturer. Good service and fast shipping at a reasonable cost.
Chaps are warm but the protection they provide is worth the discomfort.
When the weather is warm, I wear the full wraps over shorts.

. . I found a set of "pro" Husqvarna chaps . . . The two legs are made the same, and the quick-connect buckles are on the wrong side on one leg, as well as being inside-out . . . .

I had to 'mod' my Husqvarna wrap chaps (bought in 2010, so not sure if the current ones are the same):
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husky-wrap-chaps-mod.126733/

Other than that they have been fine.

Philbert

Been wearing chaps and helmet for nearly 10 years now. While I have never had to test the Stihl pro mark? Chaps the helmet has save me a bump or two on the head and love the face shield while handling brush. Any ways read that helmets are only good for 5 years due to deterioration from uv light so I replaced that. My chaps are getting pretty grimy to so I am thinking of replacing them soon. One thing I hate on the stihl chaps is how saw chips get stuck in the mesh on the back side of the legs.

Do the labonville chaps do this to??

Are the full wraps ALOT hotter that the strap and buckle chaps? I'm getting tired of the straps catching on the brush!!!

Yes, full wrap chaps are hotter than apron chaps. Both styles have straps and buckles.

They can also be bought in different weights. Thinner chaps are lighter, and cooler, but less protective, so don't overbuy, if that will keep you from wearing them.

Philbert

I've been using my green Bailey's chaps since the late '80s. had to sew them back together and replace a few buckles over the years as they've been abused. These are not the 'full wrap' and frankly I've never had cause for that style all these years. with the leg straps/buckles adjusted properly the material nearly wraps my legs anyway. I've never had to 'test' them out with a spinning chain. Most cutting I've done is when its hot so 'full wraps' really would have sucked.

Chaps are also a good protection against snakebite. We were working on "snakey" ground last year and three fallers had rattler strikes on the first day. Over the course of the week there were a half dozen more. We were going to start a pool to see who had the most actual strikes...with beer and an anti-venom kit for the winner... but we figured that it might encourage snake baiting.
The guys had always worn their chaps grudgingly...now they're a little more enthusiastic.

Order you Labonville chaps from Tree Stuff to avoid high shipping

Thanks, buddy!

I never heard of Tree Stuff, but I went right there from this thread and just ordered myself Labonville chaps (along with a few other goodies).

Between the free shipping because my order was over $100 and the 5% off coupon code, I'm really pleased. Everything should be here in 2 days, just in time for my next project: felling and bucking a Black Walnut in my backyard on Friday, if the 99% chance of rain predictions turn out to be wrong...

Latest posts

Back