Bow saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the Christmas tree farms around here use bows on 026's, never seen them work up close just seen them at the Stihl shop getting fixed.
Asked my old man about ever seeing bows besides them 026's, he said he seen one on a film strip when in high school. He had the idea that bows don't have quite the advantage that they once had due to modern bars being narrower than early conventional bars.
IF YOU NEED TO BE ASKING ABOUT WHAT POWERHEAD TO RUN A BOW WITH YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T MESS WITH ONE.

I need help with a bow too... I cannot figure out what size chain i need. I am pretty sure its a .063, but the length is throwing me off, aside from sitting in the shop test fitting chains there has to be an easier way to figure this out.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I haven't used a bow since i was a kid before they were put on the naughty list.

Attachments

• Stihl Bow 1.jpg
    Stihl Bow 1.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Stihl Bow 2.jpg
    Stihl Bow 2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Stihl Bow 3.jpg
    Stihl Bow 3.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 12
So what size power head to run one.

I know with the stihl bows the part number is relevant to the powerhead size. the 3002 is for smaller ones, the 3003 is for midsize ones and the 3004 is for the larger ones. or at least that is the gist of it... (if im off on the first four of the part numbers I apologize, im pretty shot out at the moment, cannot find the link where i read that and just had surgery on my stomach).

I had a 3003 series that ran on my 041AV perfectly well, i bought the saw with the bow and chain on it and when i split up my ex decided to liberate it from me without my knowledge and sell it.

I have since replaced my 041 with a new (old) one and have acquired a NOS bow for it, and im trying to figure out what chain i need for it.

I know with the stihl bows the part number is relevant to the powerhead size. the 3002 is for smaller ones, the 3003 is for midsize ones and the 3004 is for the larger ones. or at least that is the gist of it... (if im off on the first four of the part numbers I apologize, im pretty shot out at the moment, cannot find the link where i read that and just had surgery on my stomach).

I had a 3003 series that ran on my 041AV perfectly well, i bought the saw with the bow and chain on it and when i split up my ex decided to liberate it from me without my knowledge and sell it.

I have since replaced my 041 with a new (old) one and have acquired a NOS bow for it, and im trying to figure out what chain i need for it.
Take it to a shop have them make you a chain from a roll. once you ahve that yu can measure and count the thing for future refference.

Back