bowline on a bight, grabbing just one loop?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Say I want to install a 5/8" block on a bull rope using a bowline-on-a-bight. Only one of the two loops formed will fit into the attachment pin pulley. Is it acceptable to do this? Otherwise, what's a recommended knot for this application that will actually come out after she's loaded to several thousand pounds? This is a snatch block w/ come-along application by the way.

Use a steel karabiner to join the BOAB and the block. Then you can use both legs. Love BOAB's for the ease of breaking after loading.

it is perfectly safe to use only one loop of the BOAB. It is used in rock climbing to attach to 2 seperate anchors. You could also use a figure 8 on a bite although it is harder to untie after being weighted. Butterfly is the way to go IMO.

Hey Plas consider one of these to go between the block and the rope. Picture taken from Sherrill catalog. Get the biggest one that will fit. There are also whopping large steel biners that would work well.

attachment.php

Also, consider these (Sherrill, too):
media.nl

Or, this (ISC Big Dan 50kN - old pic from Sherrill's site, current models look different):
media.nl

And then there's this (AUSTRIALPIN 111kN) for heavier rigging:
AG_LBD3853_L_1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey speaking of 'biners, any idea where you can get the little rubber stopper things, like the little wide rubber bands?

Drawing a blank - Help me out here ... "the little rubber stopper things, like the little wide rubber bands?" ...
Come on, gimme some tech talk ... need more words ...

"little wide rubber bands"?
media.nl

Corner traps?
media.nl
media.nl
media.nl

"little rubber stopper things"?
BC_Bands_lg.jpg

OUCH!!! NOT LOL

Drawing a blank - Help me out here ... "the little rubber stopper things, like the little wide rubber bands?" ...

media.nl

Corner traps?
media.nl
media.nl
media.nl

BC_Bands_lg.jpg

OUCH!!! NOT LOL
that's gota hurt like hell at first...

Corner caps not Jimmy caps!

media.nl

Corner traps?
media.nl
media.nl
media.nl

BC_Bands_lg.jpg

OUCH!!! NOT LOL

All these Corner Traps are from Sherrill

media.nl
media.nl
media.nl

But, if you like the leather ones, you can make your own out of an old leather belt in less than a minute. You can also use a Velcro cable wrap (below), which works pretty good and is reusable. Or, for a more permanent trap use a nylon wire tie.

P6522a.jpg

Say I want to install a 5/8" block on a bull rope using a bowline-on-a-bight. Only one of the two loops formed will fit into the attachment pin pulley. Is it acceptable to do this? Otherwise, what's a recommended knot for this application that will actually come out after she's loaded to several thousand pounds? This is a snatch block w/ come-along application by the way.

I was thinking about your OP. If you like "using a bowline-on-a-bight", you can cinch up one of the loops (when you 'dress' the knot) so it's tight to the knot - then use the other loop for your block. Tried it last night ... it sets and unties well but I didn't load it with thousands of pounds.

I've read that one of the known problems with the BOAB is that if you heavily load only one loop it will 'steal' from the other loop. By cinching the un-used loop tight, you will eliminate that as a problem.

... just a thought ...

But, if you like the leather ones, you can make your own out of an old leather belt in less than a minute. You can also use a Velcro cable wrap (below), which works pretty good and is reusable. Or, for a more permanent trap use a nylon wire tie.

P6522a.jpg
Just in case your thread hasn't fallen off your radar ... I thought I'd post a pic ...
a Velcro cable wrap does make a really good corner trap:
4109804417_599f143aa5.jpg

that's gota hurt like hell at first...

They put them on little pigs, sometimes other farm critters. After about a week, certain parts just start falling off. They don't squeal nearly as much as when you get a knife and just have at 'em.

Naturally, they make a special tool for installing them, too.

They put them on little pigs, sometimes other farm critters. After about a week, certain parts just start falling off. They don't squeal nearly as much as when you get a knife and just have at 'em.

Naturally, they make a special tool for installing them, too.

That special tool is in fact Sherrill's "Blue Band-It". You can buy the EXACT same tool at Tractor Supply

Sherrill: "... this product is actually a castrating tool for livestock" - $13
media.nl

TSC: SKU 2221505 Economy Band Castrator - $17.49
2221505.jpg

YEA! SHERRILL!!!

Yet more trivia ...

:arg:

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread:

Single loop BOAB or ... whatever ...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back