brace rods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arboromega

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
need some ideas for brace rods in this pecan tree. in the pic the base is 6-7 feet wide. there is a cable in the canopy and i do plan to thin some weight out. a verticle fracture has occurred where the included bark is between the two stems. if the one lead fails it will damage two other pecans in a grove used for nut production. other pics available if required for clearity.

How about putting one rod on each side of the base about a foot or so above grade level. It looks like you may be able to drill near the root flares and get a relatively flat spot on each end of the drill hole. It looks to be about 4 feet wide there. Not sure what the other side looks like.

The other alternative is to drill just at or slightly above the separation, but then you're dealing with a 6 foot or more rod.

the 2 stems that are already cabled are cracking?

how much do they sprawl?

maybe pruning will be enough to stop any more cracking.

closer, brighter pic of the crack, and one of the whole tree, would help.

pecans being so brittle it would nice to run the cobra system on that as a backup.i really hate drilling in trees, but you have do what you got to do.

I would go with the brace above the union, there may be deacy in the basal area with that crack.

Also the Best Practice recomends that cables allways be used with bracing. In this case I would strongly agree.

heres the close up of the fracture guy, should have posted last night. i pulled a pice of bark off after the pic(already loose and falling off) and here is some internal decay and some compartmentalization. sorry i dont have a whole tree pic...80' tall each lead, big lead is about 24-28"dbh
bushman you have worked in these trees with me - the big pecan grove in glocester.
im leaning toward JPS's response, but very open minded to some other plans or combonations as such.

I wonder how long that crack has been there,must be from isabel.that place is windy with out a hurricane.it would be interesting to see how much decay is in those trunks.omega make sure you grab the tanaka!

Latest posts

Back