Braces?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you guys climb with braces? I am not talking about cables or rods here. I am referring to knee / wrist / ankle / elbow / etc braces. For the past few years when I kneel down, I hear and feel my knees pop. I talked with my orthopedic surgeon a while back and he told me that this was nothing to worry about. I do think though that once i get up into the years that I will be climbing with a knee brace. Just wondering if that is a common thing. Sorry to have digressed so much :(

i would go to a better doc to find out what is wrong with your knees. i also have knee problems but its more from years of skiing abuse. i wore away the cushion behind the knee cap. so a brace would not help me.
a big problem i had was heel spurs from the gaffs. i had to get a pair of custom orthotics made for my boots and they helped alot, along with getting shots into my heels.
but unless you know exactly what is wrong with your knee's a brace may not be the answer.

spike,

Do you DH, CC, teli, Back country, all or...???

Fabulous skiing out here still, huge winter snowpack is finally dwindling fast.

But I've been too busy. I want to ski Rainier from the top, failed in two attempts years ago.

Heard of all the tragedy lately on Hood and Rainier? well, yesterday, another chopper crashed attempting a rescue on Rainier. No one badly hurt this time. But close to 10 dead already this season.

My best snow/ice climb was Liberty Ridge on Rainier back in '80. 5000 foot knife edged ridge 40-55 degrees, splits the north face of the mt perfectly. Willis Wall and Ptarmigan Ridge either side even knarlier.

I sometimes work in an elbow/tendonitus brace. I also worked in a flexible knee brace for a few weeks after a strain. 15 years ago or so I worked for a year with an ankle taped after a severe sprain. The ol' bod ain't what it used to be.:(

Hey Matt,

I agree with spike_it, get a second opinion. Some ortho guys think everything is fine until it't time to operate. I had one tell me knee was swelling up like a grapefruit because of soft tissue inflammation. Next guy actually ordered an MRI and low and behold the pain, noise and swelling was because of major cartilage damage. (d@mn hockey & lacrosse). Good luck, because bad knees suck. A brace won't help worn cartilage but would work if you have any sort of joint stability issues.

I don't climb with my braces anymore.

After the orthodontist took them off, I've just been wearing my retainer. My smile has benefited tremendously.

Nickrosis

rb
i used to ski patrol in vt. i was in alaska last may doing some smaller peaks off the kahiltna glacier. i ice climb alot in NH. i will try a few route's on monte blanc in aug. bolivia or denali are my plans for next spring.
it was pretty tragic what happened out west this year. mostly because the accidents could have been avoided.

I've been taking gleucosamine for the past few years and swear by it. Got the custom orthotic arch suports tlast year and wish I'd gone for them years ago. legs don't bother me as much end of the day any more.

Two summers ago the bursa in my left knee inflated so they had to remove it. Since then, when I'm doing a large pruning job or a removal I wear knee pads. I bought some Rollerblade kinee pads and cut off the plastic cups. They conver more of my knee and aren't as bulky as the pads sold for construction workers. Having the pads on is nice when I need to to a knee-brace. Another benefit, at least during the winter, is that my feet and legs stay warmer because the pads insulate my knees and the blood doesn't loose heat when it goes through the knee joint.

Tom

Latest posts

Back