Bradford pear is it a hardwood ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STUMP SHARK

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
DUE TO RECENT STORMS IN THE AREA WE HAVE BRADFORD AND CLEAVLAND PEAR TRESS DOWN ALL OVER , HOMEOWNERS ARE CUTTING THEM UP AND PLACING THEM AT CURBSIDE FOR THE CITY TO REMOVE. IS PEAR CONSIDERED A HARDWOOD AND WILL IT MAKE GOOD FIREWOOD FOR THE FURNACE ? thanks. Free wood is always good but I do not want to burn a wood that can cause problems in the flu ect.

Hello!!

Good having ya posting!!
Even if your Caps lock seems to be sticking.;)

Yep! Pear burns pretty good. If it's free, snag it, stack it, season it, and burn it!
Free burns best.:D

Try the Firewood section, as there are a bunch of guys that are hooked on the "Sport" of heating with wood.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

technically any deciduous tree is a hard wood and coniferous trees are soft wood, some trees are known a soft hard wood like poplar
pine actually burns hotter then any wood, but burning too much of it puts you at high risk for chiney fires
mix a little in with hard woods and youre fine
if you have an outdoor boiler you can burn almost anything
only wood i can think off off hand you shouldnt pick up thinking itll make good heat is locust
its hard like a rock when its green but it gets very punky very fast

thanks troy

cool site lots of knowledge here . I am glad I am glad I found it ,Thanks for sharing !

seriously, you`re teling him locust won't produce good heat. It has a higher heat content than any off the common eastern hardwoods, with a heat conent close to coal. It is also known tobe quite rot resistant. It seems to be the favorite firewood of many east of the mississippi

technically any deciduous tree is a hard wood and coniferous trees are soft wood, some trees are known a soft hard wood like poplar
pine actually burns hotter then any wood, but burning too much of it puts you at high risk for chiney fires
only wood i can think off off hand you shouldnt pick up thinking itll make good heat is locust

HUH???

Pine burns according to species as far as BTU output goes, and none of it tops the better hardwoods.

Chimney fires bieng caused by pine is an old lie. Creosote causes chimney fires, not Pine. Burning green wood of any species results in Creosote build up. If burning lots of pine creates high risk of chimney fires, then 90% of folks in the PNW and eastern Canada would be in trouble..they burn Pine and lots of it exclusively.

Locust is one of the best period. Burning Black Locust splitter scraps and crotch right now. Extremely high heat output(Because of density) and long burn times. Folks make fence posts out of it because it takes so long to rot.
Folks around here will fight over locust by throwing splits of Oak. You must have some other crap confused with Black and Honey Locust. LOL!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I've read it has about the same btu rating as gum and that is 18 million btu's per cord. I would burn it in October and save your dense wood like oak,black locust and hickory for January and February.

If its wood, you can burn it. Creosote fires are caused by laziness (clean ur pipes!). Pear gives a slight aroma in the fire place, but burns pretty quick. Locust is awesome wood. Free wood is good wood.

See you learn something everyday on this site. I burn plenty of pine in my outdoor burner...a lot of it but I was under the impression that people couldn't burn it in their indoor fireplaces. Thanks for educating!

interesting, im only quoting what ive always been told about pine
as for the locust, im only saying what ive seen with my own eyes, throw some rounds in a wood pile and its punky before you get around to splitting it
perhaps the key is to split it quickly like birch, perhaps we have a different type of locust in minn

Pine is fine!

If you split it and let it dry until it is feather light. Like all wood,it needs to dry. I used it for starting the fire. Gets the stove hot quick.

Guy that cleaned my chimney in CT said I had the cleanest chimney he's ever seen.

I like the smell of a pine fire.

There's not a chance in hell i'd want a bradford pear tree planted on my property, but i'm very happy other people have them on theirs. Because they snap in half every time a 15mph wind blows and i get the firewood.:D
I grab it every time i see it. It burns really well.

Locust actually pumps out the most BTU's FYI

DUE TO RECENT STORMS IN THE AREA WE HAVE BRADFORD AND CLEAVLAND PEAR TRESS DOWN ALL OVER , HOMEOWNERS ARE CUTTING THEM UP AND PLACING THEM AT CURBSIDE FOR THE CITY TO REMOVE. IS PEAR CONSIDERED A HARDWOOD AND WILL IT MAKE GOOD FIREWOOD FOR THE FURNACE ? thanks. Free wood is always good but I do not want to burn a wood that can cause problems in the flu ect.

Don't know nuthin' about wood furnaces, but a bradford pear is plenty hard an makes fine firewood. Git it.

On locusts: Both black an honey locust make fine firewood in my opinion. Excepting having to deal with the thorns, honey locust is super - hard, decent BTU's, easy to split. Pretty, too. The thornless shademaster locust cultivar you find in subdivisions is similar and you don't get flat tires around it. Black locust is also a good burner but you really need to split it green, unless you have a splitter. Let it dry and you've got a job splitting with a maul. Split & dry it burns well but is stinky in a stove or fireplace; probably no problem with an outdoor furnace.

Last edited:
It would be a shame to use that locust for firewood instead of fence post. They make the best fence post because they dont rot easy. Ive seen some around these parts that were planted years ago and are still strong. Just saying you might be able to turn a buck with some locust to some farmer wanting some good fence post.

Latest posts

Back