Brand new 550xp stumbles & dies after idling for few seconds between cuts. What the..??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info! Would the serial number tell me when in 2015 my saw was made? 2015 is on the plate so I do know that.

Also, can I tell which carb I have without taking it off?
Yup, ser# has the year then the first 2 numbers is the week in the year it was made. If it is in 15 it is the AT7 carb. The AT12 just went into production.

post up your serial tag.
@hamish posted up lots of service bulletins in another thread.
AT-12, s/n 2016 10 00481 or newer.

My interpretation from reading these IPL updates from Hamish & SawTroll & my own experience as a consumer with three new 550xp saws is that from s/n 2013 19 00517 to s/n 2016 10 00480 your chance of getting a turd is pretty good. The 2012 550xp with the AT-1 carb my friend has is a great saw and is why I've been patient with this issue. I'm trying to get an action plan together for a new unfueled 2015 week 18 replacement saw. It has the AT-7A carb. My new dealer has been busy and is trying to work with me even though I purchased the saw from another local dealer.

My interpretation from reading these IPL updates from Hamish & SawTroll & my own experience as a consumer with three new 550xp saws is that from s/n 2013 19 00517 to s/n 2016 10 00480 your chance of getting a turd is pretty good. The 2012 550xp with the AT-1 carb my friend has is a great saw and is why I've been patient with this issue. I'm trying to get an action plan together for a new unfueled 2015 week 18 replacement saw. It has the AT-7A carb. My new dealer has been busy and is trying to work with me even though I purchased the saw from another local dealer.
You don't want one with a 7A carb on it, and if you are one that is on top of the updates I would try to get a late 15 so that it has the updated piston and cylinder.

I just looked at my SN: 2015 4300005

Can someone tell me what that means?

Not sure if it matters but there are two lines of numbers below that as well.

My JRed 2253WH year 12 has worked flawless from day one. I probleby super lucky now since both my old 550XPG projects has AT-1 carb :)
I learn from what you go through though, didnt knew at all about those 7 carb issues, now I know what I dont want to have myself

I just looked at my SN: 2015 4300005

Can someone tell me what that means?

Not sure if it matters but there are two lines of numbers below that as well.

2015 week 43
C&P kit was updated in 2015 week 42 according Huskies service bulletin

Get your dealer to replace the AT-7A carb with an AT-12 and hopefully you'll be able to cut wood without a rubber band around the throttle. Looks like you have the updated P&C.

Has anyone measured the new version cylinder and piston? Was the old piston to tight or loose in the cylinder, I put a new piston in mine and it has the exact same markings as the first one it still runs great but gets on my nerves o well.

Has anyone measured the new version cylinder and piston? Was the old piston to tight or loose in the cylinder, I put a new piston in mine and it has the exact same markings as the first one it still runs great but gets on my nerves o well.
The new piston has a different part #, ends in 06 instead of 02, plus the piston has date codes stamped on top. It isn't really a measurable difference to most. It is a different overall shape at the top of the piston.

Just found this thread after having huge restart issues with mine yesterday. Once restarted it ran fine I don't remember an idle issue. Just a huge restart prob, it would pop and then idle and not take off. I am figuring I am in the same boat. Drat at least I know what route to go now.

The stihl does not have any oil! The oil that sells stihl is Castrol oil.
The synthetic stihl oil is Castrol TTS oil and mineral oil which is red, is Castrol mineral oil.

UPDATE

Well, after more than 4 months, two 550's (Husky gave me a replacement), and a new carb kit for the replacement saw..........I just found out that Husqvarna told the dealer who is doing the warranty work to give me a full refund. No fix. No new saw. No offer to make any sort of amends what so ever. Though the 562 is bigger than I wanted, I thought.......that just maybe, Husqvarna might work with me to get one of those in my hands given that model hasn't had the number of issues the 550 has had. So, I was mentally prepared to go that route. When I inquired about it, I was told $300 on top of the refund!

With out going in to details and such, I will say that I am extremely disappointed and let down. I'm way behind on my firewood cutting, have trees blocking access to some of my ranch, etc, etc. In other words, due to my patience with this, I'm 4 months behind schedule and still don't have a saw in my possession.

Don't know what to do now. I'm not a hobbyist or cookie cutter. I'm a landowner who requires a saw....now more so than ever.

I have a budget too...and can't afford or justify $300 extra for a 562. So, I either take a chance with another 550 or get a Stihl 261. I so wanted Husqvarna to work with me on the 550.

Honestly, I'm in a state of disbelief right now. Soooo bummed.........

UPDATE

Well, after more than 4 months, two 550's (Husky gave me a replacement), and a new carb kit for the replacement saw..........I just found out that Husqvarna told the dealer who is doing the warranty work to give me a full refund. No fix. No new saw. No offer to make any sort of amends what so ever. Though the 562 is bigger than I wanted, I thought.......that just maybe, Husqvarna might work with me to get one of those in my hands given that model hasn't had the number of issues the 550 has had. So, I was mentally prepared to go that route. When I inquired about it, I was told $300 on top of the refund!

With out going in to details and such, I will say that I am extremely disappointed and let down. I'm way behind on my firewood cutting, have trees blocking access to some of my ranch, etc, etc. In other words, due to my patience with this, I'm 4 months behind schedule and still don't have a saw in my possession.

Don't know what to do now. I'm not a hobbyist or cookie cutter. I'm a landowner who requires a saw....now more so than ever.

I have a budget too...and can't afford or justify $300 extra for a 562. So, I either take a chance with another 550 or get a Stihl 261. I so wanted Husqvarna to work with me on the 550.

Honestly, I'm in a state of disbelief right now. Soooo bummed.........

$300 on top of the refund!! What the heck dealer you go to. The 550 is a $600 saw and the 562 is a $740 saw. Did you get a full refund for the 550? I feel bad for you man, if you have the 600 from the 550 that got refunded I'll hook you up with a new 562. Just PM me

Latest posts

Back