Brand New Log Splitter Crashed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is this loverjoy coupling thing #47 here?

logsplit.jpg

logsplit2.jpg

The Lovejoy coupling is 2 halves. One for the motor shaft and one for the pump shaft. With an insert between them. The motor and pump shafts should have keyways. The keys go in the keyways and lock the couplings to the shafts . The set screws hold the keys in place. Here is a picture of one type of Lovejoy coupling.
http://www.ohiobelting.com/lovelo99.htm

Yes you are correct #47 is the Lovejoy. They call it flexible coupling. Same thing. I know your pissed, but you should calm down and take it one step at a time. You started out good with checking easy stuff like oil level. Now you need to look a little deeper. I would try to fix it myself and save the aggrivation and time taking it back. If it wasnt too hard or complicated.:cheers:

Like someone mentioned earlier, pull the engine starter cord real slowly and see if the shaft on the hydraulic pump is turning too. The set screws should be Allen heads (hex) and tightened with an Allen wrench of the correct size.

If this is your problem you're in luck!

Hate ta be a wet blanket, but the set screws just keep the coupling from walking off the Key.

If the screws were loose enough for the coupling to spin, odds are the keyway is boogered on the shaft and collar too.

Maybe he got lucky and somebody just forgot the key... I hope so.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

You are getting all hot and bothered for nothing...ok, you have a reason but you are not handling it well.

What you should have done:

1. go split wood - thing don't work.
2. Call Lowes
3. Lowes either comes and exchanges it (they did mine) or arranges for it to get to the service center.

Any Nut-n-Bolting you do to it may cause warranty problems.

My problem was one clip on the airfilter housing broken. they not only came and picked it up with a 2 man crew, they supplied an entirely new machine. that was a 120 mile roundtrip for them. No charge.

Harry K

not sure where you are in Connecticut.

i'm near Hartford. i can come and look at it or possibly haul it back for you.

my cell is 860-916-3290 Steve

I know there have been some real good deals from splitters wrongly assembled at the box the stores and the LJ couplings not properly installed. After they are returned they firesale them out. Neighbor got one some yrs back real right with a defective LJ assembly. He just installed correctly and all was good forever.

::::UPDATE::::

Called Lowes 8:00am this morning. Spoke to manager very calmly. It was almost too easy. LOL He first said bring it in. I can't.

He then said their independent drivers couldn't come today but they will come tommorrow with a brand new one and take this one back.

Now time to kick myself in the rear for not calling yesterday. I could of been splitting today. Oh Well.

He did claim that he had 2 of them and that they do last years before something going wrong but then you get some where the oil line breaks or something breaks.

Whatever. This is all just a small time slot in my life. Can't wait to split again.

Thank you guys for helping and offering. It's nice to know there are people like that out there.

Lovejoy coupling

If it did let go, why?

If the pump and motor were misaligned at the factory to the point where the coupling let go or wore out prematurely, they do allow for some but not a lot of play, if you just replace the coupling or the spider, you're still in the same boat.

Take Care

I would think there was some problem with the coupling, keys or set screws. But the final cause may have had to do with the 33 degree temp. Cold hyd fluid makes it real hard for the pump to operate and with no slippage in the coupling you may have sheared one of the keys. Just take the coupling cover off, mark the pump shaft (so you can see if it is turning) and start it up. It may be the motor key and the coupling will not be turning. But this will get you closer to solving your problem.

I would think there was some problem with the coupling, keys or set screws. But the final cause may have had to do with the 33 degree temp. Cold hyd fluid makes it real hard for the pump to operate and with no slippage in the coupling you may have sheared one of the keys. SNIP

Let's hope it's something like that. I hate it when the guy shows up and says, "Well, HERE'S your problem."

Jack

At the risk of beating the obvious, I think has illustrated it: Step #1 in any conflict resolution is to immediately go the the source/other person/seller/borrower and lay out the problem calmly and clearly. Usually end of problem.

I would have been a 'fix it myself' or at least diagnose it myself depending on problem and warranty, but beyond that, just contact the vendor first thing.

Sounds like a good dealer and glad you will be going again.

kcj

I would think there was some problem with the coupling, keys or set screws. But the final cause may have had to do with the 33 degree temp. Cold hyd fluid makes it real hard for the pump to operate and with no slippage in the coupling you may have sheared one of the keys. Just take the coupling cover off, mark the pump shaft (so you can see if it is turning) and start it up. It may be the motor key and the coupling will not be turning. But this will get you closer to solving your problem.

33degrees isn't near cold enough to cause problems with pumping fluid. 10 and below will make engine hard to start and after starting ram might not move till fluid becomes fluid again heheh.

This is just plain silly. Lowe's will be happy to pick up the old one at the same time they drop off your replacement. Call them. And if anyone tells you this is going to cost you a dime call Lowe's headquarters - I can guarantee you the manager of your local store will take care of the delivery and pickup personally if you have to go that far.

cambium,

see....... listen to the guys here they know what there talkin about. good luck wth your new splitter & let us know how it all turns out>>>

kracker

Manual does say do not operate 20 degrees and below. Maybe different models can take that temp and this can't?

I doubt the driver knows about splitters so I'll be getting a brand new one. :) Hmmm half cord split for free. lol

I would however love to know what it was. Maybe I'll follow up with it.

I should add, while splitting there was an extra noise coming from machine. Loud, annoying but bearable. After investigating a little it seemed to be just a vibration. So I thought maybe a bolt was loose.... Maybe that was part of then bigger issue at hand?

Whatever.

P.S - I took half the log cradle off since a log got wedged in it and bent one of the bolts holding the wedge back.

it's not the machine that can't handle it.

it's the fluid they put in it.you could change it out to a lighter weight fluid.

Manual does say do not operate 20 degrees and below. Maybe different models can take that temp and this can't?

I doubt the driver knows about splitters so I'll be getting a brand new one. :) Hmmm half cord split for free. lol

I would however love to know what it was. Maybe I'll follow up with it.

I should add, while splitting there was an extra noise coming from machine. Loud, annoying but bearable. After investigating a little it seemed to be just a vibration. So I thought maybe a bolt was loose.... Maybe that was part of then bigger issue at hand?

Whatever.

P.S - I took half the log cradle off since a log got wedged in it and bent one of the bolts holding the wedge back.

Re: the noise. Mine has a high frequency sorta 'scream' to it, not loud but annoying. Doesn't bother while runnit it as I wear muffs when running saws, mowers, splitter trying to save what hearing i have left anyhow. Firing it up for just a minute or two to do something _is_ annoying without themuffs.

Harry K

Re: the noise. Mine has a high frequency sorta 'scream' to it, not loud but annoying. Doesn't bother while runnit it as I wear muffs when running saws, mowers, splitter trying to save what hearing i have left anyhow. Firing it up for just a minute or two to do something _is_ annoying without themuffs.

Harry K

wasn't high pitched. More like a rumble vibratring noise. When I pressed down on the motor cover it kinda got better.

wasn't high pitched. More like a rumble vibratring noise. When I pressed down on the motor cover it kinda got better.

is it a briggs, them cover are known to breaking the screw tabs and rattling like hell. I bolted mine on and the irritation stooped.

Latest posts

Back