Brand New Log Splitter Crashed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you just wire it in series with the On/Off switch? The last time I messed with one of those was when I repowered my boat. In that case it was simply wired to the ignition switch and then grounded. I've been meaning to put one on my new splitter (about 8 ours use on it so far) but wasn't sure how to wire it. Fabricating a bracket and mounting it is not big deal.

Do you just wire it in series with the On/Off switch? The last time I messed with one of those was when I repowered my boat. In that case it was simply wired to the ignition switch and then grounded. I've been meaning to put one on my new splitter (about 8 ours use on it so far) but wasn't sure how to wire it. Fabricating a bracket and mounting it is not big deal.

didn't need to fab anything - there is a ton of room in the air filter cover of the honda engine on my troy splitter - two small holes and the meter is mounted - i'll post some pics sunday

as for wiring there is just one wire from the meter all you need to do is wrap it around the spark plug wire

I found the hydro on my 27 didn't come full. It was on minimum. I also notice I need to refill the hydro every 2 hrs of use. There are no visible leak. Is that normal?

As far as the wedge, maybe we can call TroyBilt or Lowes to special order the wedge. There might be a universal one with the bolt and setup.

I bought a 27 ton Craftsman splitter in the summer. Identical to your Troybuilt, exact copy....I wonder who really makes them???

Only problem I had...was dropping a huge round on the filter. And it broke the hydraulic filter's fitting right off.

Drove to Salt lake city about sixty miles...and paid less than $25 for the parts. Sears wanted two weeks and about eighty dollars.

I bought a 27 ton Craftsman splitter in the summer. Identical to your Troybuilt, exact copy....I wonder who really makes them???

Only problem I had...was dropping a huge round on the filter. And it broke the hydraulic filter's fitting right off.

Drove to Salt lake city about sixty miles...and paid less than $25 for the parts. Sears wanted two weeks and about eighty dollars.

I suspect the company is MTD. I is badged under White and some others. I wasn't aware of the Craftsman badge.

Harry K

I should add, while splitting there was an extra noise coming from machine. Loud, annoying but bearable. After investigating a little it seemed to be just a vibration. So I thought maybe a bolt was loose.... Maybe that was part of then bigger issue at hand?

[/COLOR]

My guess - The coupler loosened up, one end was never tightened, the rubber spider got spit out or chewed up, hence the loud noise. Finally the two metal halves either slipped apart further or wore each other off until the pump no longer turned. The Chinese have a very poor grade of rubber in the couplers. To call it a Lovejoy is a shame.

and a few pics

meter

stevespictures001Medium.jpg

wire

stevespictures002Medium.jpg

and a few hours of work

stevespictures003Medium.jpg

Lowes is 45 minutes away by highway. The service center is 10 minutes away backroads. It's still under warranty. Its 6 days old for crying out loud. Man I'm ticked.

I have two of those splitters one with a briggs and one with a honda,never had a problem, one is almost 4 yrs old and one is two yrs old and i work them hard,my son constantly trys to find a log it wont split, i would think it would be the coupling between the engine shaft and pump,they are a pretty good design.:chainsawguy:

Back