Brand New MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullbore

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After a few years of influence from AS, I finally took the plunge and bought a brand new Stihl MS660. I absolutely didn't need it; but, I couldn't resist the $900.00 deal with a 36" bar, two chains, and a few other accessories. Does anyone think the DP cover is sufficient or is gutting the muffler baffle needed.
Also, does a 25" bar seem to balance better than the nose heavy 36" bar.

Shorter bars do balance better, and they're easier to use. Not to mention, they're lest apt to throw a chain prematurely. :cheers:

Shorter bars do balance better, and they're easier to use. Not to mention, they're lest apt to throw a chain prematurely. :cheers:

:monkey:

Balance? for what? the saw is supposed to cut wood (pressure in the cut..), not be carried around by a fairy! :greenchainsaw:

and "premature what"? groan.... amateurs...;)

gut that muffler!! open up the stock port..put on the dual port....install ear plugs and let it rip!!! the 660 baffles are pretty easy to remove...and i'd have to say that it is worth it..atleast to me it is

You need this,

attachment.php

As far as the bar goes, match the bar length to the wood you're cutting. 18" wood doesn't need a 36" bar.

Thanks, Does anyone know the part# for the complete muffler(no baffles). I have the p/n for the cover but swapping the entire unit maybe safer than gutting if I have a warranty issue.

:monkey:

Balance? for what? the saw is supposed to cut wood (pressure in the cut..), not be carried around by a fairy! :greenchainsaw:

and "premature what"? groan.... amateurs...;)

Thay what, you brute?

And where did you get a deal like that? (if you're allowed to say) My local dealers all want a couple hundred more than that...

I agree that balance is irrelevant in the cut, but shorter bars offer a definite advantage if you file your own chains. Just finished touching up a 32" chain that I really didn't need to be running. Sure looked neat on the saw, though...:greenchainsaw:

Hmmmm.... Unless you cut rocks, wear on the chain is proportional to the the number of cutters.... more cutters means more time between sharpenings... :popcorn:

in your u need this pic, u forgot to put in the tach

What you need much more than a tach is the ability to tell by ear the 2-4 stroke break in the exhaust note. That, and timed cuts, tell you more about the tuning than a tach ever could.

Latest posts

Back