Brand New Stihl 270

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, my 270 doesn't cut that slow, but my high RPM's don't sound any better than that.

Just curious, but with a good firewood saw (maybe 270, 361 or even 441), how long should that cut have taken?

Well now you've gone and done it...

You see if that was done with a 361, things would be different. The log would've moved itself into position to be cut. Then, from the rear handle, these really long arms come out and rub your shoulders as you cut to keep you relaxed, yet nimble at the same time. Not to mention, if you have ANY medical problems, simply take the 361 out of its protective wrapping, place it under your pillow, and sleep normally, and you will find yourself cured from whatever ails you.

Proper chain and proper technique (stance, handle pressure, etc) are all the big factors, along with chain speed and HP... The video was great though...

If you are doing a lot of firewood, and it's going to be like the log in the video from Wanabe, then just get a bigger saw. Otherwise, you will probably be disappointed.

And yes, I actually do like the 361, and the 441 as well... I was just having a little fun...

Jason

270 vs 180 test

Ok, I have been cutting wood fairly steady over the last couple of days and I am on my 8th tank of fuel with my new 270. I decided to run the saw head to head with my 180 (after filing both chains), b/c I still do not feel I am getting the power out of this 270 that I think I should.

I cut a 15" log of pin oak and 11" hackberry with both saws. The 270 took 14 sec and 9 sec respectively, and the 180 took 15 sec and 9 sec. Just by my ear, the 180 was running higher RPM's. The 270 seemed to lose more RPM's once it got into the wood than the 180 did (relative to what it sounds like WOT w/o cutting.)

I realize that I am not into 12-15 tanks, but I still feel like by now this 270 should be cutting considerably faster than it is. Is this another trip to Stihl to have it looked at, or did I just buy an underpowered saw?

Ok, I have been cutting wood fairly steady over the last couple of days and I am on my 8th tank of fuel with my new 270. I decided to run the saw head to head with my 180 (after filing both chains), b/c I still do not feel I am getting the power out of this 270 that I think I should.

I cut a 15" log of pin oak and 11" hackberry with both saws. The 270 took 14 sec and 9 sec respectively, and the 180 took 15 sec and 9 sec. Just by my ear, the 180 was running higher RPM's. The 270 seemed to lose more RPM's once it got into the wood than the 180 did (relative to what it sounds like WOT w/o cutting.)

I realize that I am not into 12-15 tanks, but I still feel like by now this 270 should be cutting considerably faster than it is. Is this another trip to Stihl to have it looked at, or did I just buy an underpowered saw?

As mentioned: Sounds like a tach wouldn't hurt.

:jawdrop: That isn't normal at all - bring that 270 back to the dealer!

Just got the saw back from the dealer; they adjusted the carb (again) and told me it was running 12,700 RPM's. Still no difference in how it cuts wood.

Last edited:
Does the new 270 have that funky IntelliCarb system? It is supposed to "compensate" for air cleaner being clogged, etc, and "tune" the carburetor. I thought you could not adjust the high speed setting on these new carbs. Only the low speed mix.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm sticking with my ol' 361 for firewood and de limbing.

I'll lend you the BB 066/064 (O66 BigBore piston on a crankcase for an 064 with dual port muffler, etc etc....runs like a champ with the 36" bar)

;-)

Does the new 270 have that funky IntelliCarb system? It is supposed to "compensate" for air cleaner being clogged, etc, and "tune" the carburetor. I thought you could not adjust the high speed setting on these new carbs. Only the low speed mix.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm sticking with my ol' 361 for firewood and de limbing.

I'll lend you the BB 066/064 (O66 BigBore piston on a crankcase for an 064 with dual port muffler, etc etc....runs like a champ with the 36" bar)

;-)

What, you mean the intellicarb that your 361 has..........

I have a ms280 and that video was very painful to watch. There is certainly something wrong with that saw. It seemed to be going fast enough, but the chain was dull or something. I would have zipped through that log so fast with my 280. If that was my saw, I'd say the chain was extremely dull, though definitely not on backwards.

I have a 280 and like it. It pretty much hits the sweet spot for firewood cutting in this area and mine sure cuts a heck of a lot faster than the saw in the video, but I keep my chains sharp and almost all of the stuff that i cut is under 2' and primarily spruce. It's been a long while since I lived on the East Coast but aren't you cutting a bunch of pretty good sized hardwoods in your area? I assume that is the case given the size of the trees that I recall and a 280 or even a 361 sounds small to me for good sized Eastern hardwoods.

~~Snip~~ It's been a long while since I lived on the East Coast but aren't you cutting a bunch of pretty good sized hardwoods in your area? I assume that is the case given the size of the trees that I recall and a 280 or even a 361 sounds small to me for good sized Eastern hardwoods.

Yep, but before I knew my 026 was "too small," I thought it was the ticket and considered it my "big" saw. My "little saw was/is an Echo CS-346.

At 80+ cc as my largest saw, I still don't have a "big" saw yet.

Update

I took the saw into the Stihl dealer again (3rd trip) and they maxed out the rpm's at 13,600. I had them go out in test it into a piece of real wood (instead of sitting there revving it) and the darn thing dropped down to 8,500 rpm's on a 8" piece of maple. They couldn't figure out why it wasn't holding its rpm's, but now they saw for themselves what I meant when I said it wasn't producing the power I thought it should.

I am now a proud owner of yet another Stihl 270. They switched my bar and cover over to another saw, tuned the carb and sent me on my way. I had the tech put the tach on it and it is holding between 10,500 and 11,000 when cutting into that same piece of maple. So, I took it home to play...

Man, this thing eats up the wood! I am only 2 tanks of gas into, so I know it will only get better from here. This is definitely the firewood saw I though it would be.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

I took the saw into the Stihl dealer again (3rd trip) and they maxed out the rpm's at 13,600. I had them go out in test it into a piece of real wood (instead of sitting there revving it) and the darn thing dropped down to 8,500 rpm's on a 8" piece of maple. They couldn't figure out why it wasn't holding its rpm's, but now they saw for themselves what I meant when I said it wasn't producing the power I thought it should.

I am now a proud owner of yet another Stihl 270. They switched my bar and cover over to another saw, tuned the carb and sent me on my way. I had the tech put the tach on it and it is holding between 10,500 and 11,000 when cutting into that same piece of maple. So, I took it home to play...

Man, this thing eats up the wood! I am only 2 tanks of gas into, so I know it will only get better from here. This is definitely the firewood saw I though it would be.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Awesome!! Good ending to the story. It's a really good firewood saw.

Something just aint right...

ya, that 270 is a real powerhouse!

LMAO!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HgGQA8nI0bo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HgGQA8nI0bo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

My 260pro cuts a heck of alot faster than that,,,:censored: ,,I think my 210 would out cut it!!! Alot depends on the owner,,and maint....When you have to ride a saw like he did,,something bad wrong!!!!

Back