Brand New Stihl 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a new 460 (yes, life is good). Any suggestions or any special care instructions while it is being broken in?

Hey Greener: Congratulation on the new MS 460. Youve got yourself a great saw, now go show them trees you mean business. Only thing special to do is enjoy it all you can. It loves to work for ya. Oh yeah, one more thing, it come with bragging rights.:hmm3grin2orange:

That's ridiculous, wait till are actually getting paid to cut, you don't have time for that crap. I've personally never had a problem, I think there's another problem besides the chain shrinking, it should not stretch that much.

A couple of heat cycles before running it hard is not unheard of... All my new saws get that treatment.
Bike guys I know been doin' this for years... :msp_wink:
And yes, dino will break a new saw in quicker... That's just a testament to the effectiveness of the synthetics. :rock:

A couple of heat cycles before running it hard is not unheard of... All my new saws get that treatment.
And yes, dino will break a new saw in quicker... That's just a testament to the effectiveness of the synthetics. :rock:

I heard that heat cycles -in that where you just run them half throttle is actually bad for a saw. Reason being that runnin it half throttle can make the saw run lean......I heard that it was much better just to put it in the wood and let her rip.

But I heck, I always rev mine a few times before runnin them. Warm em up a little. If that makes any sense?

Last edited:
I heard that heat cycles -in that where you just blip them half throttle is actually bad for a saw. Reason being that runnin it half throttle can make the saw run lean......I heard that it was much better just to put it in the wood and let her rip.

When they refer to "blipping", that's not cutting at half throttle. It's letting the saw warm completely at idle, then literally blipping the throttle for a few minutes, then idle, then off... Cutting at half throttle is not a good policy...:msp_wink:

I was referring to the his chain stretching theory:confused:

Hey Greener: Congratulation on the new MS 460. Youve got yourself a great saw, now go show them trees you mean business. Only thing special to do is enjoy it all you can. It loves to work for ya. Oh yeah, one more thing, it come with bragging rights.:hmm3grin2orange:

In that case, I'll make sure to knock down a couple 30 plus inch dbh tall firs up here asap. And they'll go exactly where I tell em to. How's that?:msp_biggrin:

Good looking saw. I wish I knew about the "R" models when I bought mine.

I've heard of others breaking cranks from over tightening chains. I like to run regular dino oil and a little rich for a 2.5 gallon can of fuel and then go to synthetic. It seems like they break in faster that way to me any way. Some of the saws I had seemed to peak after 6-8 tanks of dino and the ones on synthetic seem like 20 tanks.

Yup. No sense ####in' around.

Latest posts

Back