Brave spiltter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chugbug

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to look at a used 22 ton brave splitter this weekend , where would you guys rate them , are they as good or better made than a huskee , no splitter wars now !! I just need an idea of the quality , decent splitter or not.I don't know what kind of engine it has . I'm familiar with the huskee so a comparison with it would let me know where they stand.

I have a brave 22 ton splitter that I bought last summer. I have split a bunch of wood with it and it has worked flawlessly. I would think it would very comparable to the tsc splitters but I have not used one .

Last edited:
I've never heard anything bad about them. From what I've seen close up, they are built a bit better than the Speeco/Huskee.

But frankly, I don't think they are enough better to justify the big price jump. Better, yes, but not $THAT$ much better. It's mostly fit & finish issues, not actual strength.

One thing I like about the Huskee (I have the 35 ton) is the built-in log cradle. Instead of having to balance a round on a flat piece of iron, the Speeco design cradles the wood. You can toss a round on there and not have to hold it in place. I really like that feature.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Brave, though, from all I hear. :cheers:

Thanks for the quick replies guys , I'll check it out Sat. , I did find out its 24 ton , 8hp Briggs , vertical / horizontal .

I've never heard anything bad about them. From what I've seen close up, they are built a bit better than the Speeco/Huskee.

But frankly, I don't think they are enough better to justify the big price jump. Better, yes, but not $THAT$ much better. It's mostly fit & finish issues, not actual strength.

One thing I like about the Huskee (I have the 35 ton) is the built-in log cradle. Instead of having to balance a round on a flat piece of iron, the Speeco design cradles the wood. You can toss a round on there and not have to hold it in place. I really like that feature.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Brave, though, from all I hear. :cheers:

:agree2:

Another thing I did like about the I&O 22- and 26-ton models I've seen is that they have less tongue weight, which makes them easier to maneuver by hand. The Huskee built-in log cradle is a nice feature and I didn't have to pay extra for a log dislodger (as I&O/Brave does).

I've got a Brave 34T, haven't used it that much, but I love it.
- Just make sure you take the hardest wood you have with you and split it on site.
- Also raise it to vertical position, make sure it detents properly...you'll see what I mean when you do it ;)
- Check the welds on the axle to hyd fluid tank - if any splitters' been towed around alot, I've seen a few cracked there.

They really are good splitters, jsut like any used piece of equip, just go over it thoroughly.

Another thing I did like about the I&O 22- and 26-ton models I've seen is that they have less tongue weight, which makes them easier to maneuver by hand.

I didn't know about that. But I have a solution for that problem, anyway.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200312193_200312193

194685_lg.gif

I got this Northern Tool trailer dolly on special for $50, shipped. Sweet! And it works great. :clap:

The Huskee built-in log cradle is a nice feature and I didn't have to pay extra for a log dislodger (as I&O/Brave does).

You have to pay extra for the log dislodger? :dizzy: Oooh, that's ugly! Well, at least you get something made of solid steel, unlike the TB and other box store machines with their stamped 10 gauge decorations. :monkey:

I didn't know about that. But I have a solution for that problem, anyway.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200312193_200312193

194685_lg.gif

I got this Northern Tool trailer dolly on special for $50, shipped. Sweet! And it works great. :clap:

Hmmm, that looks really handy. Thanks for the tip!

You have to pay extra for the log dislodger? :dizzy: Oooh, that's ugly! Well, at least you get something made of solid steel, unlike the TB and other box store machines with their stamped 10 gauge decorations. :monkey:

Yeah, I&O/Brave make you pay extra for the log dislodger, log catcher, and they also offer a safety flag kit for towing. Depending on what model you get, each extra feature will cost a minimum of $75 per. With Huskee (as you already know), the beam holds the log and the dislodger and reflective tape for towing are already installed. This made my Huskee 35-ton purchase that much more of a bargain.

I would also look at the beam design. The brave splitter weighs less than the Huskee, hence your probably getting less steel. I notice that the clevis end of the beam where the Huskee cylinder attaches is one solid piece of steel running the length of the beam where as the brave has an eyelet that is just welded to the flat plate on top of the beam. Also the built in log cradle is safer and you don't have to worry about those wedge bolts coming loose all the time.

Hmmm, that looks really handy. Thanks for the tip!

It's more than handy! I have a slightly sloped lot, and it's hard manual labor to get the splitter from the driveway back to where it usually lives and works. With the trailer dolly, my boys can handle it with no problem. Downhill, it's a one boy job. :cheers:

I use my splitter only at home. I bring the wood home and then split it. What I did was take the trailer hitch off and I use a long pipe inserted in the tongue when I want to move it. The pipe gives me enough leverage to move the splitter in and out of my shop when I use it.

Nosmo

It's more than handy! I have a slightly sloped lot, and it's hard manual labor to get the splitter from the driveway back to where it usually lives and works. With the trailer dolly, my boys can handle it with no problem. Downhill, it's a one boy job. :cheers:

Tips like this are why I read this site!!!

How does that cart work on rough ground?? I bought a Timberwolf splitter last winter and the one thing that I don't like about it is that its heavy to move by hand unless I'm on concrete in my shed. I drive as close as possible with my pickup but then I unhitch it and pull by hand, thats hard on my back, and any small rut or hump makes it tough to pull.

This cart looks cheaper than a 4 wheeler!!!

I use my splitter only at home. I bring the wood home and then split it. What I did was take the trailer hitch off and I use a long pipe inserted in the tongue when I want to move it. The pipe gives me enough leverage to move the splitter in and out of my shop when I use it.

Nosmo

Nosmo, not sure I understand your pipe idea?? I can see where the pipe would give you the leverage to easily lift it and swing it, but when you start pulling I would think that the pipe would come out....

Nosmo

I only use mine at home also, took the hitch off and put a "crank wheel" like you see on boat trailers on and it works great; just crank it up and roll it around, then raise the wheel off the ground when it's in storage.

Nosmo, not sure I understand your pipe idea?? I can see where the pipe would give you the leverage to easily lift it and swing it, but when you start pulling I would think that the pipe would come out....

It does not slip, the weight on the pipe keeps it in place. There is no problem either pulling it or pushing it. I only have to roll mine about 10 feet or so to exit the shop and it is still under a roof. Then back in when I'm finished splitting.

I had thought about putting a wheel at the base of the jack but this method works OK for me.

Nosmo

Back