**Break In Ms 361**

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbiet87

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just got a Ms 361 today. The saw has less than 1 hour of run time on it, and it's in really good condition. Is the saw broke in already? If not, how do I properly break in the saw? I plan on keeping this saw forever!!!!! Thank You for any help You can give me.

I'd say it took 15 to 20 tanks of mix before my saw was what I would call broke in.
Broke in to me is when the saw is running in it's optimum condition, has all the power it is going to make.

Opinions will vary on how to "break them" in. Personally I do nothing special, just run'em like I stole them. Others will say let them warm up 3or 4 minutes and avoid prolonged periods of wide open throttle. I've never had one fail just running it like you would any other saw.

Got yourself a great saw, one of the best firewood/farm saws ever. 361 rep sent!

I've got a couple of the 361s. Couple of "easier" tanks and then have at it. You picked a fine chainsaw. It will be your go to saw I bet.

Nice two saw plan would be a 660 and a 361....

Chainsaws arent designed to be ran half throttle. Keep it WFO and cut wood! I've rebuilt saws and bought new ones and never babied them. Still running stronger than the day I got em.

I've been looking at 440's and 660's as well. But I haven't found any for a good price that haven't been through He!! and back!!!!! Some look good on the outside, but only because the plastics have been replaced!!!! I picked up the 361 because I knew the guy who bought it, and I know he takes care of his stuff. I got very lucky!!! Thanks for all the info guys

Chainsaws arent designed to be ran half throttle. Keep it WFO and cut wood! I've rebuilt saws and bought new ones and never babied them. Still running stronger than the day I got em.

Right! :cool2:

Just avoid prolonged cuts and prolonged WOT out of wood. I like to set new saws a bit rich, but don't really know if it is needed.

One thing you might watch for is fasteners loosening up in the first hour or so. Run it for awhile and then take your T-27 and check everything you can reach.

Stihls are usually pretty good about not having anything loose but it doesn't hurt to look.

One thing you might watch for is fasteners loosening up in the first hour or so. Run it for awhile and then take your T-27 and check everything you can reach.

Stihls are usually pretty good about not having anything loose but it doesn't hurt to look.

Stihl tells us to check the cylinder bolts after a while (don't remember the details) on the 361 and larger here, and Husky tell us to check every bolt regularly (again I don't remember the details) - it surely is good advice! :msp_cool:

Back