Briging home the bacon!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
Reaction score
Started my wood cutting season last week. I cut for 2 days and at the end of each day hauled a pick up load home. yesterday I broke out the quad and hauled all the rest home.
It was time to test out the "new" wood trailer.
I filled up the truck and trailer once and left the trailer on site and brought home anothe pick up load at the end of the day. Got a nice pile going so far. The first pick up load I split by hand and started stacking it already. It's good exercise and i was getting fat anyways. This is 99% hard maple.

View attachment 271178
View attachment 271179

Hello,
Did you make that wood trailer out of an old pop-up camping trailer????????

Henry and Wanda

Yes, yes he did! :laugh: The original definition of "Hill Billy" was "Michigan dirt farmer". Thats a grand display of ingenuity there. I have to admit, I fashioned one myself the same way, took it down to the flat bed and made it into a min-bike and quad hauler for my sister inlaw.

We have just about if not less snow here. Makes for great wood gathering, hard ground and not much slipping around.

We have just about if not less snow here. Makes for great wood gathering, hard ground and not much slipping around.

Same here. I am going to start cutting and splitting for year 3 this weekend. At least it is a bit cold here, (high of 22 today) so it makes for good cutting weather. Prefer this weather to cut rather than June thru August cutting.. That is a cool trailer too.

Good start on next years heat, Bushmans. :msp_thumbsup:

Thanks mac but that is the year after. I have enough already for next year.
Grabbed another load today with my 16 year old. She loaded it in the sled and hauled it out of the woods. I only had to help her with the big 'uns. (over 14 inches) These were way back in and she had about a 150 yard haul. She said it's a good work out for her soccer legs. I just nodded in agreement!:heart:

I used that pop up for many years as deer camp but the mice finally got the better of it. So got a newer one and retired this one. Sort of! The tires are class C and rated at 1100 lbs each. I try to keep it under that though. Hard to guesstimate sometimes.
I plan on removing the sides and building removable racks but it works pretty good right now. The side with the plywood is for loading the tractor or quad. Eventually it will have a ramp on the back.

It holds about two face cord of splits.
View attachment 271235

Thanks mac but that is the year after. I have enough already for next year.
Grabbed another load today with my 16 year old. She loaded it in the sled and hauled it out of the woods. I only had to help her with the big 'uns. (over 14 inches) These were way back in and she had about a 150 yard haul. She said it's a good work out for her soccer legs. I just nodded in agreement!:heart:

I used that pop up for many years as deer camp but the mice finally got the better of it. So got a newer one and retired this one. Sort of! The tires are class C and rated at 1100 lbs each. I try to keep it under that though. Hard to guesstimate sometimes.
I plan on removing the sides and building removable racks but it works pretty good right now. The side with the plywood is for loading the tractor or quad. Eventually it will have a ramp on the back.

It holds about two face cord of splits.
View attachment 271235

Gotcha. We're a few years ahead here too. My compliments to your daughter for helping out with the dirty work.

With 2 face cords you're probably about at the limit for those tires.
When you get done hauling wood in that thing, you can always build a splitter on the frame.

Gotcha. We're a few years ahead here too. My compliments to your daughter for helping out with the dirty work.

When you get done hauling wood in that thing, you can always build a splitter on the frame.

I dont think I would trust the axle much past a 1/2 cord of hard maple myself... atleast not for a road trip.

I dont think I would trust the axle much past a 1/2 cord of hard maple myself... atleast not for a road trip.

That was my thoughts. Tire might be good for the load but I don't think the axle/bearings/springs would be....not to say that I wouldn't dothe same thing on the "if it breaks, so what" basis.

Harry K

Good idea Mac! A splitter with a suspension, with a tool box and saw holders and oh crap you just got me started thinking......and it hurts!

The hard maple tops are on their third year sitting in the woods so it is really dry and about half weight.
I try to estimate the weight of each larger round and then do the math up to about 1500. The trailer itself empty weighs next to nothing.

I made the mistake of loading a yard of topsoil this summer. It was kinda wet and the loader guy gave me a monster bucket full. Yep blew a tire on the way home. I figured it weighed around 2500 lbs.
The kicker was I had a yard in the back of the truck too. Man did I learn a lesson that day. Of course it (trailer) had the old checked tires on it. Should have expected it. New tires now!

Here is what my little lady hauled today. All by herself on a sled.
View attachment 271245

I had to have her pose with the 029. She hauled all those rounds but when she picked up my 044 she says,"holy cow I didn't realize how heavy these are!"
Most of those rounds were way heavier!

Hey! I resemble that remark.

Good job. I started my firewood activities when the temps got cool enough that I didn't sweat like a pig when doing some work.

You got that right! Yesterday and today it never got over 26 and for me it was perfect cutting weather. At least until you stopped. I still am soaked in sweat so when I'm done I have to pop right in the truck cuz it gets cold quick. It's a real good way to pass the winter months. Last winter I lost 18 pounds just firewooding.
I just wish I was better at handfiling so Icould stay in the woods longer. That sure is an art from. I'm thinking about getting a jig so I can sharpen in the woods. Whole nother thread (already posted a million times):deadhorse:

Good idea Mac! A splitter with a suspension, with a tool box and saw holders and oh crap you just got me started thinking......and it hurts!

Here's mine. One of these days I'm gonna narrow it up a bit. It tows really well on the highway, but I don't take it off the property any longer.

attachment.php

I just wish I was better at handfiling so Icould stay in the woods longer. That sure is an art from. I'm thinking about getting a jig so I can sharpen in the woods. Whole nother thread (already posted a million times):deadhorse:

The Oregon ones are cheap and easy to use.

That was my thoughts. Tire might be good for the load but I don't think the axle/bearings/springs would be....not to say that I wouldn't dothe same thing on the "if it breaks, so what" basis.

Harry K

thats all fine as long as you're not that guy doing 70 down the highway in front of me.
Or your not that guy that I follow around town loading my truck from the wood that falls off his overloaded trailer everytime he hits a bump in the road.
and please dont be that guy running around town with a two tires on opposite axles of a tandem trailer for four ZTR riding mowers on it... that really bothers me....

Latest posts

Back