Bringing back my Homey

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blubyu

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I posted earlier that my Homelite Super XL bit the big one. I pulled the muffler off and saw a scarred piston and rings. The local homelite guy wants $300 to rebuild... I want to do it myself. I'll probably grab a parts saw and take it from there. I already have a new set of rings...I'll try swapping the piston and jug from the parts saw to my saw and put new rings in it. I never took a chain saw apart ( I do my own work on my motorcycles though)

Any pointers for me?

How about a good way to get the cylinder back over the piston and rings?

Any one have a good schematic or manual for a homelite super XL.

Will I have to worry about jetting again?

Can anyone jot down a quick "how to " or what to do list for me.

swapping a cylinder an piston is pretty easy take one apart and then take the parts saw apart and keep seprate trays for the parts also those cheap ring compressors found at harbor freight or on ebay are great to have
i am sure there is someone on here that has a IPL for that saw
also replace the cylinder bas gasket of use a make a-gasket by loctite ot permatex

blubyu said:
I posted earlier that my Homelite Super XL bit the big one. I pulled the muffler off and saw a scarred piston and rings. The local homelite guy wants $300 to rebuild... I want to do it myself. I'll probably grab a parts saw and take it from there. I already have a new set of rings...I'll try swapping the piston and jug from the parts saw to my saw and put new rings in it. I never took a chain saw apart ( I do my own work on my motorcycles though)

Any pointers for me?

How about a good way to get the cylinder back over the piston and rings?

Any one have a good schematic or manual for a homelite super XL.

Will I have to worry about jetting again?

Can anyone jot down a quick "how to " or what to do list for me.

Make sure you don't loose anything while you have it apart. Keep things clean. Don't forget to replace or make a gasket. You should be all set, it isn't that hard the SXLs are especially easy and forgiving to work on. :)

Homey

Thanks,

I'll check for the ring compressors. Will I have to dial in the carb again?

blubyu said:
Thanks,

I'll check for the ring compressors. Will I have to dial in the carb again?

Probably. Start them each at one turn out from lightly seated.

Bringing back the Homey

No luck with finding the web site with he cheap ring compressor. Anyone have the URL?

Also, still look for copies of a manual for Homelite Super XL. A schematic of the engine is all I really need.

A wide zip tie or a hose clamp will work as a ring compressor. Most 2 stroke engines are designed with a bevelled edge to the cylinder at the bottom, such that you can normally compress the rings with your fingers to get them started and then simply push on the cylinder.

For the link though, if you do want to get the one mentioned, try this

Harbor Freight

Timberpig, Superman..thanks for the info ring compressors. I'll try to win the one on ebay..if that doesn't pan out, I'll try the zip ties.

Ray, thanks for the schematic. The serial number and UT# have rubbed off the plate. Is there another place on the saw I can get the number? The schematic looks about right.

Anything else to look out for with the swap? How hard is it to find pistons for this saw? Is it worth getting the cylinder refinished?

Homey

Thanks Ray..

Question..

What's the difference between the XL 12, Super XL, and the Super XL automatic? Are they all the same size engine? Are the parts interchangable?

Back