Bringing two Old Poulans Back to Life

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunnyRunnerton

Reaction score
Hey Guys! I'm new on this forum but not new in the DIY / forum world. I have a few threads on other forums and have found them invaluable, figured Id post this project here since the Toyota heads might not appreciate it :) I was recently given two saws, A Poulan 3000 and a Poulan Wood Shark Model 1975, along with a weed eater with a boatload of attachments and a blower. Buddy owns a pile of commercial units and people leave crap all the time, i usually buy up all his old tool finds the tenants leave behind. I can keep it all for the simple cost of fixing one chainsaw and returning it in working order, or send back the blower running and were even. I want the saws to get up and running and so does he.

The 3000 is missing the carburetor and air filter and the 1975 is just not running. I am planning on cleaning them both up and replacing basics (fuel lines, filters, plugs etc.) I probably wont give them a tug until I check, re wrap the pulls and have new gas in it. (stupid or smart? Nervous about engines sitting without lubricant for years)New non ethanol gas and a liberal amount of WD 40 and wipe down. My goal is not to tear them down to their nuts and bolts unless I have to. I have a feeling the 3000 is going to require some work but don't intend to let that scare me. Just swapped out the front clam shell, gears and rear axle in my 4runner so I need a break in the action. A LIGHTWEIGHT bench top project.

I have never worked on a saw before in my life. If you were me, where would you start? Please don't say the repair shop, or throw them out. I'm in it for the fun of fixing something someone discarded as worthless and showing it off when it hangs with a newer saw.

Hey Guys! I'm new on this forum but not new in the DIY / forum world. I have a few threads on other forums and have found them invaluable, figured Id post this project here since the Toyota heads might not appreciate it :) I was recently given two saws, A Poulan 3000 and a Poulan Wood Shark Model 1975, along with a weed eater with a boatload of attachments and a blower. Buddy owns a pile of commercial units and people leave crap all the time, i usually buy up all his old tool finds the tenants leave behind. I can keep it all for the simple cost of fixing one chainsaw and returning it in working order, or send back the blower running and were even. I want the saws to get up and running and so does he.

The 3000 is missing the carburetor and air filter and the 1975 is just not running. I am planning on cleaning them both up and replacing basics (fuel lines, filters, plugs etc.) I probably wont give them a tug until I check, re wrap the pulls and have new gas in it. (stupid or smart? Nervous about engines sitting without lubricant for years)New non ethanol gas and a liberal amount of WD 40 and wipe down. My goal is not to tear them down to their nuts and bolts unless I have to. I have a feeling the 3000 is going to require some work but don't intend to let that scare me. Just swapped out the front clam shell, gears and rear axle in my 4runner so I need a break in the action. A LIGHTWEIGHT bench top project.

I have never worked on a saw before in my life. If you were me, where would you start? Please don't say the repair shop, or throw them out. I'm in it for the fun of fixing something someone discarded as worthless and showing it off when it hangs with a newer saw.

Hi,and welcome aboard.First thing first,take the plugs out,hold them against the head,crank the saw and make sure you have spark.A bad coil can sometimes cost more than the saw.Second,pull the mufflers off,make sure the pistons and cylinders aint scored or gouged.If you have good top ends and spark,usually a saw is worth fixing.Those 3000s are some nice little saws

A tablespoon of Marvel Mystery Oil in the spark plug hole (with piston oriented up) - provides lube and solvent action can free stickiness around ring(s).

Had unexpected visitors drop in last night so just had time to snap a pick and do some quick checks. Here is what I have so far.
Slapped some marvel mystery oil in each cylinder head, Exactly one short "that should do it" pour each.
Poulan 3000: Has compression about 30-45 PSI really hard to tell, Spark is good, spooky good.
The fuel system is toast, fresh gas and carb cleaner and about 5 minutes of cranking yielded nothing.Note when I got it it was missing a carb cover and filter so I need to source one. (Any Ideas?)
Shot it full of starting fluid and ripped on the cord a few turns and she fired up for a brief moment. Life!

The Woodshark: Compression there consistently hit 30 psi. Good not great spark, will probably re gap and clean the plug and hope for the best.
The fuel system is trashed, bulb would not draw any new fuel in. and I swear I could hear it hissing a bit but was surprised it didn't crack under my finger.
Sprayed started fluid into the breach, she fired right up. Life!

In my opinion I have two good saws! If I missed a critical diagnostic let me know. I figure I will re tube and filter the fuel systems of each and buy a carb rebuild kit for each. Anyone have a favorite source?

The saws are both covered and caked in crap, more than PB Blaster and brushing can clean up. I was thinking of hosing them down with engine degrease r. If this is a mistake let me know.

The 3000 is in much worse shape cosmetically and the parts are more brittle. The crank rope and spring are shot, Ill fix these up tonight. It needs a deep clean as there is crap everywhere in the saw. Is fully disassembling and reassembling a saw that sputtered to life a bad idea? If not its happening tonight! I'm not going crazy with the dis assembly, just separating all the major components, nothing coming apart that would require new gaskets besides the carb.

The saws.

If the Woodshark is like newer "purge bulb" Poulans I've worked on...one fuel line is tiny. Look for .080" ID x .140" OD. We're talking tiny here. Couldn't find locally and had to order.

Welcome, I'm a Toyota guy also. My buggy isn't done yet seems like chainsaws are consuming all my time. Couple things, don't use starting fluid to check if 2strokes run. Just use a shot of mix down the carb. Also, I would imagine your comp tester is not for a small 2 stroke. I have had saws like that that won't run with 90 psi using a correct gauge.

If the cylinder and pistons look good in both, I would at least clean carbs very well replace fuel lines and go from there.

Back