Brits talkin about Brit stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of stuff to get back on.

1. Yellow Fox, I don't think that the cap fits.

2. Big A you're right should things go wrong the proverbial should not just land on you. The job is part of the building contractors undertaking, they have a responsibility to ensure that it is done safely. Ask to speak to the planning supervisor, they are the person who under the Consutruction, (Design and Management) Regulations 1994 (CDM) who is in charge of putting together the site safety plan, appointing a competent principal contractor and then making sure that they appoint competent contractors. Most importantly try to get things in writing, put down your concerns, write your favoured method date it and then give it to them (with witnesses) try to get them to sign for receiving it (maybe post by registered post). I do realise that this will mark you out as a trouble maker, but may scare them into spending the money to do the job right in the first place. And if all else fails shop them to the local HSE office quoting suspected breaches of Work At Height regs and possibly CDM.

3. Acer, My first question would be 'Can you cut the stakes to a better length before you put them in the ground using a rear handled saw?' When you no doubt give me sensible reasons why that isn't possible I would have to serve a Prohibition Notice prohibiting the use of the 020T on the ground. There are some things that HSE centrally has a fixed policy on and this is one, as such I would have to stick to that policy. I would also give you an appeal form telling you that if you think I am wrong then you can appeal to a tribunal where the evidence would be heard and a ruling made. It is the only way to actually challenge and test such a national policy line.

4. Mijolnir HSE does know how many RTA's there are, which is why it has produced information and guidance for employers on management of work related car use. HSE still maintains though that in the majority of cases the police have the more appropriate experience to investigate and The Road Traffic Act is the most appropriate legistation, though they may and can consult us on management systems and issues.

5. Highpoint construction does get inspected, more than you do. Every HSE office has a team of inspectors who only do construction. (Mind you that still doesn't amount to much, in my office we have 6 construction inspectors for the whole of West and North Yorkshire). Interventions by construction inspectors with the large principal contractors are the reason that now on big jobs contractors are asked for proof of competance (ie CSCS or NPTC cards). Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

6. Stumpy66 We can't insist on tickets to buy rear handle chainsaws as the law we enforce is health and safety AT WORK and there are a lot of domestic users out there. Purchasers are supposed to provide a ticket before they can buy top handled saws as this is counted as a proffesional use only saw. THe law Does say that only people with suitable training can work on or in a tree with a chainsaw. One way of proving this is to have your NPTC ticket. As an inspector that is what I and my colleagues work to, if someone is not competant they shouldn't be doing the job. THe only way to catch up with more of those that are not competant is to have more inspectors and tell them to focus on arb work (inspector numbers and what we concentrate on are policy decisions made by the politicians and the Health and Safety Commision).

I think that will do for now, I'll now wait for more flack.:givebeer:

pastures new

Hi i know i havnt been on here for a while as i have been busy sorting my life out,as some of you know from other sites me & my partner of 5 years split up just after new year.
I have left SAS & am starting a new job & life in jersey moving there on friday 10th march.
Will b able to keep intouch as now own a lap top.

Sooo! I make a report out, mark myself as a trouble-maker, get a bad name as someone who can't be trusted and end up having to change trades as no-one in my vicinity will want to use me. Or I comply with the company's wishes, get caught out sooner or later, they need a scape-goat for the sake of "compliance" make an example of me. I dont get to work no more. Seems like heads they win, tails I lose! Or I could leave the company, get in with someone else, till the next time. Glad your getting sorted, R/T.

I was wondering about the use of quick draw karabiners in an areial resuce. They're two snap gate biners locked together with webbing sling. I thought these would make a very quick and simple way of connecting to someone in a rescue. However the lack of a locking mechanism worrys me about using them, but its hardly a life load bearing a bit of equipment. There only about a tenner all CE marked and i've found they speed up process.

Thoughts on this?

work.....remind me.....oh yer...a bit of it about......and Rolla...it's up here...not down.....i'm down here, you are up there....its in the detail....:clap:

I thought you were "over there" !! Bloomin' wet today eh Rolla, I suppose you had your feet up in front of the fire!!!!

B/c

I think you may have almost answered your own question.

Quote: "However the lack of a locking mechanism worrys me about using them"

Don't use them if you have concerns, try double locking snaps or conventional three ways.

If i remember you have recently done your Cs38? You will have been taught two points of attatchment to the casualty, whether coming down on single or double line, keep an open mind as to what might actually happen during a rescue and how critical speed may well become, those two attatchment points if any at all may pale into slight insignificance.

A quick draw sling with two three way biners on your harness should take care of 99.9% of situations, if the casualtys' line is ok, clip them to you if required and out of the tree, if there line is cut/snagged/not long enough, clip them to you and cut them away from there system.

There are many ways to undertake rescues and Cs38 only generally covers two or three and it still surprises me the amount of trainers who don't teach spike/pole rescue! The rescues taught serve a purpose, but they are not the best.

Emeregency procedures and planning and dealing with these situtaions is addressed directly in the working at height regs 2005 - have a read.

puwer said:
B/c

I think you may have almost answered your own question.

Quote: "However the lack of a locking mechanism worrys me about using them"

Don't use them if you have concerns, try double locking snaps or conventional three ways.

If i remember you have recently done your Cs38? You will have been taught two points of attatchment to the casualty, whether coming down on single or double line, keep an open mind as to what might actually happen during a rescue and how critical speed may well become, those two attatchment points if any at all may pale into slight insignificance.

A quick draw sling with two three way biners on your harness should take care of 99.9% of situations, if the casualtys' line is ok, clip them to you if required and out of the tree, if there line is cut/snagged/not long enough, clip them to you and cut them away from there system.

There are many ways to undertake rescues and Cs38 only generally covers two or three and it still surprises me the amount of trainers who don't teach spike/pole rescue! The rescues taught serve a purpose, but they are not the best.

Emeregency procedures and planning and dealing with these situtaions is addressed directly in the working at height regs 2005 - have a read.

Did my 38 nearly a year ago now i think i'll use double locking snaps, i was wondering more from a best practice kind of view. If i did one using non locking snaps would i get bined for it? On my course at Caple Mannor we did 4 rescue methods including spikes/pole rescue.

From a best practice point of view then yes they should be three way action biners, the double attatchment to the casualty came from NPTC insurers, they got very twitchy during training when candidates using live casualties would unclip someone completely from there system, so we began to utilise double attatchment in case of failure.

Not sure what you mean when you say if i did one, would i get bined for it?

I presume if it was capel a year or so ago, then Nick Oburn probably trained you and maybe even Alex Laver assessed you. Nick is a good trainer and knows what shoudl be taught and when.

Good trainers, who maintain the standards yet also understand the constraints and pressures of commercial contracting are hard come by.

nohope said:
3. Acer, My first question would be 'Can you cut the stakes to a better length before you put them in the ground using a rear handled saw?'

They are cut to a sensible length of 5 ft with a rear handled saw before use. How far I can drive them into the ground depends on what's in the ground - roots, rubble etc. The main issue is that, as part of the style, stakes tops are normally cut to match the angles of the pleachers, at around 30 degrees. If I cut the stake ends at 30 degrees and then tried to hit them in, that would be very difficult and a lot more dangerous, as the maul is more likely to take a deflection and hit me somehow (or just a mis???? can hurt sometimes). To hit a stake into the ground, it is best that the end is sawn square. We've discussed what sort of saw would be best to trim them with.

Are there any costs involved in appealing against a prohibition notice- eg do I have to pay HSE's costs or something like that if I lose, appeal fees, or gawd knows what else?)

The girls are stunning,just a shame carlie wants me back & is on about moving over here.As for the beer gut remark you cheeky welsh scotchman living in england,all that means is you arnt working hard enough.lol

If me & carlie do give it another go & she dont like overhere i will be moving back to the mainland as i miss her & the kids.But thats life.

beer guts and girls are ok...but money is another......anyone here about to purchase a 352 from b trac...secondhand....
let me know what you pay cos they just bought one at auction for about £7500..2004 model 230 hours.....i was (kind of) gutted.....what would i do with two.....there is only one of me!! (mines is all paid for, but that really was was cheap.....)

Update,She has got back with him so i wont be getting back with her at all,yippee cant wait for the summer as the boss says its full of lovely babes on the beachs & bars etc.
Nearly finnished my first week & have really enjoyed it,Looking forward to settling down on the island as i really like it here & every body is so friendly.
Been talking to a few stunners & am waiting to see how it goes.
Will keep updated.

ROLLACOSTA said:
That was cheap ,stumpy66 how did you find out about that machine going for so cheap??..

ever heard of three counties tree care....the owner dropped a tree on himself......his widow autioned all the stuff off at the weekend.....sad really.....but not for b trac, gareth was there and snapped it up..he already had it sold....nice few quid profit..fair play.....

stumpy66 said:
ever heard of three counties tree care....the owner dropped a tree on himself......his widow autioned all the stuff off at the weekend.....sad really.....but not for b trac, gareth was there and snapped it up..he already had it sold....nice few quid profit..fair play.....

Man thats a real shame about the tree service owner,sad also the widow never got the fair price she deserved..

Back