Broke down and bought a 346XP...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoroilmccall

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Yep... Decided I needed a real limbing saw, the 340 was a great little saw, but it didn't like bucking hardwoods much. Plus all you guys rave about the saw, so I went in to GKS where my buddy works, and he gave me a smoking deal on on with a 16" Oregon PM bar and LPX chain in .325x.050... Out the door for $430. Thank you George Kahler Sales!

Soon as I got it back to the landing I started limbing and bucking some red pine... First tank of gas I could tell this thing was gonna be my new favorite saw (well at least a small saw). Its a hot rod and a half... Went to hardwoods and still couldn't believe the speed, and how nicely it rolls from one position to the next. Its just fluid motion. So far its got 4 tanks through it, and a touch more power with each fresh tank.

I'll snap some pics this weekend with it, along with the 7901. If I had a way to take video I'd show it off. Like the 7901, I think I'll leave it stock. Its already got some scratches, and its dirty... Just the way a work saw should be.:chainsaw:

Congratulations.
This site is probably the best advertising that Husqvarna has for the 346xp.
Great price also.What a deal.:clap::clap::clap:

Congratulations.
This site is probably the best advertising that Husqvarna has for the 346xp.
Great price also.What a deal.:clap::clap::clap:

Husqvarna should donate some money to this site just for the 346xp saws that it sells for them.

Congrats on the new saw. That was a good price.

Screw the Swine Flu!

WE here Got us a regular Husqvarna 346NE PANDEMIC goin on and there ain't no creepy Obama innoculation program!
:hmm3grin2orange:

Motoroil Ya done good!:cheers:

I paid a couple bucks over 400 for just the powerhead on mine.

You're gonna giggle like a madman when that 346 wakes up, if ya think she's fun now! ;)

As for leaving it stock, Let's see how long that lasts.:D
Sooner or later you're gonna figure out, that the little snot has almost as much grunt in the bigger stuff as a 60cc saw, and all it needs is a tweak so ya don't have to dink around with a middleweight.;)

LOL!!!
Congrats on the new affliction!
It's goin 'round.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

You can't/won't go wrong with that Husqvarna saw. I have both Husqvarna and a Stihl saws. I love em BOTH but there is just something about the Husky!

Husqvarna 346xp New Edition: 50cc/ 3.7HP@11lbs!

Wow another new proud owner of a 346xp!

I'm still confused (once i test ran mine for the first time last week) why so many people keep calling them a "limbing saw".They're so much more.Great all around little saw/Firewood saw to boot.(And in my case,a nice light,powerful climbing saw for removals and or large leads/branches.)

Great saw!Congrats!:chainsaw:

Last edited:
I'm still confused (once i test ran mine for the first time last week) why so many people keep calling them a "limbing saw".They're so much more.Great all around little saw/Firewood saw to boot.(And in my case,a nice light,powerful climbing saw for removals and or large leads/branches.)

+1. And OP, please don't take this wrong. This is nothing more than a myth. I think this video can say it a LOT better than I can. No, this isn't some softwood, it's Ash.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zOy-j_rmhVY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zOy-j_rmhVY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Still not convinced? This is with 3/8 full chisel chain.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iMRPgHxaVzo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iMRPgHxaVzo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If I could have got the 346 for that price I probably would have, because of what I read here, but it was almost $100 more. After watching Brad's videos it seemed that my saw might be as fast, or faster.
His .325 took @ 17 seconds. His 3/8 took 23 seconds.
I checked my vid. from Sun. & my 3/8 took 17 seconds.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Husky but...I'm just sayin'. LOL !

http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/oo329/BrianVT16/trees/?action=view&current=DSCN3177.flv

Congrats on your new saw, mccall. Sorry for the hijack.
I just had to throw that in due to some of the Dolmar bashing that goes on here. :spam:

Last edited:
Wow another new proud owner of a 346xp!

Great saw!Congrats!:chainsaw:

:agree2: Exactly! :clap::clap::clap:

Like I said, I love the thing for bucking timber, it does it in a hurry. Its just such a nice saw for limbing it is worth the investment for that job alone! Through in the fact that it bucks wood as well as a much heavier saw and its just a phenom!

Nice!! I'm planning on adding one to my pack here very shortly, great little saws!! :cheers:

I just got one from George too.Mine was 469.00 Pt,But he didn't know me from Adam.Nice saw.I hope to play with mine this Sunday looks like it gunna be a nice day for cutting and a stroll in the woods.

BTW I got an 18" .325 21LP.
Good luck with your new toy....err saw.
DON

You might remember that mystery tree I asked about. It was an ash. About 28/30" at four foot off the ground. I cut it into fire wood with the 346XP with an 18" bar. I did what you guys suggested and cut completely through on one side, put a wedge in the top and went over to the other side and finished the cut: worked great! I can see why they make baseball bats out of ash. That is some tough wood across the grain, but with the grain it splits OK. Now I can see why they told us to keep the brand up on the bat.

When I first got the 346 it would bog down pretty easy: not anymore. I can see now that a modded muffler might turn it into a beast :chainsaw:, but I doubt I will ever do that. One beast around here is enough. :)

If I could have got the 346 for that price I probably would have, because of what I read here, but it was almost $100 more. After watching Brad's videos it seemed that my saw might be as fast, or faster.
His .325 took @ 17 seconds. His 3/8 took 23 seconds.
I checked my vid. from Sun. & my 3/8 took 17 seconds.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Husky but...I'm just sayin'. LOL !
Yeah, well you didn't factor in that I have to wait for more than 5 freakin' minutes for photobucket to try and pull it's wanger out of it's ear, and in the meantime my browser is unresponsive at all with a freakin' black box on my screen...finally it brings up your flash file and gets half way through it and is "buffering". At least it will let me type, but it's still bufferin' photobucket.

Brads starts playing immediately!

To quote you, "I'm just sayin'. LOL"

Why not just say NO to photobucket, I'm just sayin' to that also...:ices_rofl:

Back to what you were saying, you have a different log in different climate, and the log is substantially smaller than Brad's log which is ash. Your log looks like pine, maybe I'm wrong.

At least what Brad was comparing was honest, same log, but chain was probably different, and the pitch most certainly...I got 16s/18s on the .325, and I think it was 23s on the .375 single run.

There's more than watching a video and seeing your saw be fast, I could show you a video of a Ryobi cutting a log faster than your 5100 which Brad also posted...doesn't mean it's a good comparison, but it cut the log in under 10 seconds. "I'm just sayin'. LOL"

My parents always told me that just because the other kids are doing it, it doesn't mean you have to. Darn peer pressure. :)

HusqNE346XP-small.jpg

It came home with me today. The rain finally stopped and I should be able to put a couple tanks through it this weekend. :blob4:

My parents always told me that just because the other kids are doing it, it doesn't mean you have to. Darn peer pressure. :)

HusqNE346XP-small.jpg

It came home with me today. The rain finally stopped and I should be able to put a couple tanks through it this weekend. :blob4:
Peer pressure can be a good thing.
:clap:

Back