Broke down and did it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

513yj

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Decided to purchase an electric chainsaw sharpener instead of paying 6 bucks every time I wanted em touched up. I wanted the Oregon 511 but it was a little more than I had so I went with a Northern Tool+Equipment Item# 193020 and with an online coupon it was only 123.00 shipped. Sharpened one chain and so far so good. Picture isn't the greatest but I put the chain into some hard maple and it made some nice spaghetti. I'll test it out tomorrow afternoon for holding an edge when I go to get a load of some beech. I'll be interested to see if it holds up over time even though I might not use it a ton, although I might take out an ad for chain sharpening if I get really good at it :msp_ohmy:

View attachment 315207

I am not able,,to get to search to work. but if you can,,there was a looong thread on that very one longer ago. they told of a few mods,,to make it a excellent grinder for the price. it was on sale,,at the time of that thread, for 89.00!!! I have two,,with one in reserve. works just FINE!!! the tooth length,,wont be always exactly the same, but that's what a caliper is for........the only thing I still need to do,,is burr the threads,,on the chain stop adjustment, as the knob, now keeps backing off from the vibration of the grinder..

I am not able,,to get to search to work. but if you can,,there was a looong thread on that very one longer ago. they told of a few mods,,to make it a excellent grinder for the price. it was on sale,,at the time of that thread, for 89.00!!! I have two,,with one in reserve. works just FINE!!! the tooth length,,wont be always exactly the same, but that's what a caliper is for........the only thing I still need to do,,is burr the threads,,on the chain stop adjustment, as the knob, now keeps backing off from the vibration of the grinder..

I noticed the search is not working either. I paid 99.00 plus shipping which didn't seem to be a bad price with a bigger motor that looks rebuildable. I'll look at the mods later when the search works.

I have used one of the $29 harborfreight ones for years. I have found the key to good results is to not try and grind to much at one time. I keep a few extra chains laying around and will replace as soon as they show signs of becoming dull. This way, it only takes a lite touchup with the grinder to restore it back to like new cutting. If you try to grind to much in one pass, it will overheat the teeth where they wont hold and edge. I still have to file the drags by hand, but a good flat file and a guide takes care of this fairly easily.

which didn't seem to be a bad price with a bigger motor that looks rebuildable. [/QUOTE] in that thread. someone checked to see if that motor was reversible..they said it wasn't!! now if you say that one is rebuildable.........wellllllllll..that may shine some other light on the situation........:hmm3grin2orange:

I have used one of the $29 harborfreight ones for years. I have found the key to good results is to not try and grind to much at one time. I keep a few extra chains laying around and will replace as soon as they show signs of becoming dull. This way, it only takes a lite touchup with the grinder to restore it back to like new cutting. If you try to grind to much in one pass, it will overheat the teeth where they wont hold and edge. I still have to file the drags by hand, but a good flat file and a guide takes care of this fairly easily.

Look at this vid then you know how to take down the rakers with an el cheapo.
My Chainsaw Sharpener - YouTube

Hands down best mod for them is to ditch the el cheapo wheels that come with em and buy a couple Oregon brand wheels. 1 of my 3 was cracked when I got it (Google grinding wheel ring test if you don't know how to check) and not safe to mount, the other 2 were useable, but the 3/16" had a bad wobble, and the 1/4" I didn't have a use for. Pure junk IMO.

I've probably done 250 chains on my NT, and it's had a couple little minor problems but overall it's more than paid for itself. I just recently got a CBN wheel for it, but haven't used it yet, so I can't report whether or not it's "all that".

nothing wrong with that. I did the same not too long ago. i only use mine every 8-10 hand sharpening to get everything back to spec or to clean up a rocked chain

there was a bit of a learning curve for me. i sharpened my chains and they cut to the left. well the grinder wasn't centered and all the left hand cutters were .2-3 mm shorter than the right hand. get your calipers out the first time you sharpen

Last edited:
which didn't seem to be a bad price with a bigger motor that looks rebuildable.
in that thread. someone checked to see if that motor was reversible..they said it wasn't!! now if you say that one is rebuildable.........wellllllllll..that may shine some other light on the situation........:hmm3grin2orange:[/QUOTE]

Not sure that it is but it sure looks like it. The back plate is removable to where someone could take it to a starter rebuilder to replace the brushes.. I did a lot of video watching and only sharpened 2 chains with the supplied disks. I do know how to check them for tuning fork effect and it was ok so I used one for now but I want to get a better one later from Baileys or something. The guy that usually does my chain grinding says he has a diamond wheel and it's done a boat load of chains so I'm going to look into it. I also saw in a video to make small cuts up and down so I did about 6-8 times as to not heat up the chain. I emailed Stihl today about the side plate angle since the manual with the grinder says 10* but the recommendations that come with a new chain says 90* (or essentially 0* for the grinder) with a hand file as per the instructions. Pretty pleased so far with how quiet it is and basically no vibration.

I just recently got a CBN wheel for it, but haven't used it yet, so I can't report whether or not it's "all that".

What kind did you get and where did you get it? I was looking at Bailey's so far since I haven't had time but I want to get a better wheel anyhow.

tsc?

my nephew just bought his pappy a somewhat of a chain grinder from tsc for his budget(Kroger bagger)..and it was ok..I suppose..but he brought it to me after calling me and asking me about it..not much adjustable on his model..I looked at tsc and they have a knockoff of the 511a that I have used for years. My BIL took his back and bought the knock off..I haven't been to see or use it..but it looks identical to the Oregon 511a..NON reversible worklight. 3 wheels. top plate angle. tooth angle..and for those willing to chew up a chain..bevel too. just an FYI

Not sure that it is but it sure looks like it. The back plate is removable to where someone could take it to a starter rebuilder to replace the brushes...

No brushes in that motor to wear out. It's a capacitor start induction motor, and it more than likely will out live us all! Read through the thread that was posted above, and with just a little very minor work you have a really nice grinder. I have one of them and also an Oregon 511AX, and for the average guy, the Northern one seems to be just about as solid as the 511AX.

I bought a couple files for something around a buck each...

That is pretty funny and I have a couple of them too. I'm good at hand filing but when you lay your wood on a log skid to keep it out of the dirt for cutting purposes, go to work, resume the duty the next day, put the bar into the wood, hit a brick that the kid put under it, remove the wood and cuss when you find said brick, a hand file just don't cut it unless you want to spend about 7 beers doing so. Plus it's nice to start with a fresh edge every now and again or at least I like to.

What kind did you get and where did you get it? I was looking at Bailey's so far since I haven't had time but I want to get a better wheel anyhow.

Got the Bailey's one. I looked around, didn't find anything a lot cheaper, and had a couple other things I wanted to order anyhow.

Latest posts

Back