Broken cylinder fins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes JC, I don't think I'd even run that one. Maybe a winter firewood saw, but not so much if you get a summer gig falling 5 days a week. Hope all's well pard - Sam

Modify the top plastic cover to keep the remaining fins exposed to max fresh air and run it till it drops, the drop a fresh p&c in there.

Bet it runs longer than most would think.

I guess I forget that everyone does not live in Georgia. I think that saw would get plenty hot here in the middle of summer. Maybe not too. The other thing to consider is:

You have to understand about Tim, he's kind of OCD about saws...

Which is a very true statement. Probably not just limited to saws either.

trade ya them cylinders for one of them 064 basket cases:msp_wink:

Lol, I've searched long and hard for a 064. Hard to part with a free saw :msp_biggrin:

But, I could still use a cylinder, gotta have spare parts.

I picked up a saw with a couple clipped fins on top. Not as bad as yours, but. I did grind a taper back into the broken edges and created a little more symmetry. Based completely on ignorance and what seemed right.

I picked up a saw with a couple clipped fins on top. Not as bad as yours, but. I did grind a taper back into the broken edges and created a little more symmetry. Based completely on ignorance and what seemed right.

Smoothing out a broken cooling fin is about the best thing you can do for it.

What a lot of people (especially on this forum) seem to forget is that there's a lot of 'over-engineering' in modern saws
like anything else. A modern stock saw isn't running on the ragged edge of absolute performance. The engineers have
taken into account the farmer that cuts stumps habitually with a dull chain, or the firewood guy that runs gas on the verge
of going stale, or the homeowner that never blows the air filter out. So yeah, you can run a cylinder that's missing part of
a few cooling fins or even totally missing two-three.

Where's the redneck cobjob spirit??

Dang, you guys let me down...I was thinking drill some little holes in the stubbie parts that are left, fold over some cut to fit beer can metal, and pop rivet it in! Home made fins! Added bonus, smooth it out make it look purty with some jb weld!

hahahahaha *snort* hey, there's at least a 1% chance it might work!

Back