Broken Grinder Teeth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbusta

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone charges extra for broken teeth?

I allow for teeth or inform the customer there could be additional charges when I can see a problem, but still get caught from time to time like today hit a steel pipe and shattered 6 teeth.

No, I never charge extra for broken teeth. I try to dig around the stump and be careful but consider it just part of the business. That's why I have a minimum charge for grinding.
What brand of teeth were you running? I shattered so many Greenteeth I switched back to Raycos. I'm going to try a rock tooth in the lead tooth positions and see what happens.

Totally Stumped said:
No, I never charge extra for broken teeth. I try to dig around the stump and be careful but consider it just part of the business. That's why I have a minimum charge for grinding..

Same as the above

We have a new clown on the block in my town he's doing just about anysize stump with a Rayco mini work force 20hp ,for £40 roughly $75 ANYSIZE STUMP,this fool will learn when he damages his machine..RANT OVER ..:D

you have to be doing something wrong if you bust 6 teeth in one go.......or hit something so bloody solid that a little exploration should have found it......or just be damned unlucky.........what teeth where you using?

i use $5 chinese teeth on my leaders,im thinking of adding a $15 surcharge for hitting steel etc when the tooth is unable to be sharpened.i dont think many people will be bothered by it.

i think that might be your answer, chinese teeth.....as for a surcharge, nice thought but can you really see a customer going for that, i think the resulting conversation might take the fun out of the job.. How do you find the chinese teeth for wear....?

stumpy66 said:
i think that might be your answer, chinese teeth.....as for a surcharge, nice thought but can you really see a customer going for that, i think the resulting conversation might take the fun out of the job.. How do you find the chinese teeth for wear....?

I guess its not a given the customer will be happy with a surcharge but if its legitimate and there told at bid time it should be ok,i hit a large rock this week dulling the leaders and the customer wanted to give me an extra $10.i didnt take it but thought i probably should.

The chinese teeth are no good on a 50hp machine,they snap. But they work fine on my super junior,i think they cut real good and the cutting edge being serated last a little longer,im going down to buy some more tommorow as they sold out quickly last time,6 leaders is costing me $30

a_lopa said:
i use $5 chinese teeth on my leaders,im thinking of adding a $15 surcharge for hitting steel etc when the tooth is unable to be sharpened.i dont think many people will be bothered by it.

$5 for Chinese. Sounds very high - what currency is that. In the US Chinese teeth are $2 or less, good teeth are $2.70 to $3.50 depending where you get them. You need to call Border City Tool in Michigan.

No charge

Sbusta,
I have the new sanvic wheel & teeth. Harder to break, however, I use a cheap metal detector prior to cutting. It takes two seconds and I haven't broke any teeth since. Just a thought

Stone

Treeco,

Hard one to detect with a metal detector. My only problem is to price a stump. Here, they do it by diameter. But when I figure it by that calculation, large stumps are less than $80. Can't figure it?

I figure by time. Need to make $150/hr. Once you cut enough you'll be able to gage the job. Pricing by the diameter is no good!!! You get screwed on big stumps!!!

Wish

Big Stumps,

I wish I could price by time. I did 17 stumps, hard to get to, dropped 14 in., 3 were 40 In across, and only got $460. 5 hours work plus drive time. If I don't do by diameter, I don't work.

Sand Dollar said:
Big Stumps,

I wish I could price by time. I did 17 stumps, hard to get to, dropped 14 in., 3 were 40 In across, and only got $460. 5 hours work plus drive time. If I don't do by diameter, I don't work.

$90 an hour. Not bad. My target figure is for grind time, no travel time included. I just add a few bucks if it is further than 1/2 hour away.

The bigger jobs my rate goes down. These customers shop these bigger jobs, plus it is nice to stay one place a couple days.

We don't charge for broken teeth but I've broken hundreds with the vermeer pro teeth on our 752 grinder. We just switched to the sanvic wheel and it's excellent. We broke only one tooth in the last month and we grind every day. Plus that wheel cuts smoother and faster. We never had one loose tooth. I would encourage everyone to consider the sanvic. I just ordered one for our 352 vermeer. It costs I believe $1,300 but you'll save that quick in time and aggravation.

dorshak said:
We don't charge for broken teeth but I've broken hundreds with the vermeer pro teeth on our 752 grinder. We just switched to the sanvic wheel and it's excellent. We broke only one tooth in the last month and we grind every day. Plus that wheel cuts smoother and faster. We never had one loose tooth. I would encourage everyone to consider the sanvic. I just ordered one for our 352 vermeer. It costs I believe $1,300 but you'll save that quick in time and aggravation.

dorshak, i have a 352, i'd like to hear how it works out with the new wheel.. js

Sandvic

Guys,

I have a Carlton with the Sandvic wheel. Awsome!!!!!! I go through a stump much faster. The only thing is the price I saw each of you quote. I am in Fl and only paid $ 950 including teeth. I also purchased 1 complete set of teeth (20) at $11. a tooth.

When did you buy your wheel? Did you order the wheel with the new grinder as an option because they will give you credit for the wheel they didn't put on? However, if you bought it later, that would be different.

Sandvic wheel

Dorshak,

I purchased it with the new machine. When I was asking about the wheel I don't think it was much more than what I paid. If you want to find out how much for a wheel let me know. I will give you the name of the place I bought from.

Back