Broken or Not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buy broken saws or runners?

• Broken?

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • Runners?

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wigglesworth

Booned
Reaction score
which do you prefer? Do you like to buy broken saws and fix, or ready to go cut saws? Money aside. I prefer to buy them broken and fix. You kinda get to know it better.

i like the fixer ups but id also like to buy running saws.

ive been workn on my 044 for awhile, thown parts at it here and there and well wood cutn time is about here and shes not going yet. and its the saw i realy want to run. just got walbro carb to replace the zama

i do like fixn them i just like cutn to

I do both - all depends on the price.

I haven't found any "real deals" or "finds" like the guy who just picked up a running 036 Pro for $100

Broken. I have way to many to justify buy running saws or new saws.

However, if it is a hard to get model or the price is right at the right time I will buy it.

Nothing that has to be shipped or that I cannot hold in my hands before the transaction. I had to set limits, practice some sort of discipline.

I do both - all depends on the price.

I haven't found any "real deals" or "finds" like the guy who just picked up a running 036 Pro for $100

:laugh: My ears were ringing!!!! :laugh:

I PREFER to buy running saws, but if I can get them cheap (and I mean cheap) then I appreciate the deals on the non-runners (like the 029 super I bought for $10 that just needs a fuel line and a new p&c) I spent more on parts than I wanted, but I should be able to make a few bucks on it. I was GOING to keep it, but with my lineup now, I don't think it really has a place. :)

Broken. I have way to many to justify buy running saws or new saws.

However, if it is a hard to get model or the price is right at the right time I will buy it.

Nothing that has to be shipped or that I cannot hold in my hands before the transaction. I had to set limits, practice some sort of discipline.

I'm with you there... if the price is right, I just can't say no!

As for buying saws without touching them, I've gotten kinda lucky so far, but I'm not a fan of buying sight unseen. (or un-run)

which do you prefer? Do you like to buy broken saws and fix, or ready to go cut saws? Money aside. I prefer to buy them broken and fix. You kinda get to know it better.

I agree it's really satisfying to troubleshoot & repair. But frankly I prefer cheap. At or below a certain price point (depending on the saw) I won't even bother to see if it runs before I buy it. :) Hand the $ over & split. The last couple of saws I bought like that just happened to be runners.

Fortunately there's frequently something to do, even on a runner. My Makita needed a leak fixed, for example, and the Husky I just picked up could probably tolerate a fuel filter, fuel line, carb rebuild and tune. There's satisfaction even in the little stuff.

Mark

Buy Both! Runners are a must to have so you know you have something when work comes along unexpectedly. *Seeing I do tree work on weekends to make ends meet* And non-runners help you learn to work on your own gear and flip them every so often or just help the CAD disease along. Like my MS200-T that I got for 25 bucks and is now running 30 dollars later.

Both. I want something to tinker with on my workbench for fun, but I need something that runs when I need it.

I don't like having work to do in the yard or around the woodpile when I have something waiting to be fixed. That's why I bought the important stuff brand new from a dealer (blower, trimmer) and the rest I can deal with.

im cheap to, i was lookin for 044/460 project saw when i stumbled on the 044/084 non runner combo for 80 bucks. i grabbed both saws.

the 084 was the easiest, i got it running with just piston then ported it. ive put bout 80 bucks in this saw also had to buy a chain. now i think i want to sale it to fund a 460.

the 044 cost 25 bucks but has cost more, i spent 50 bucks and vacumn tester, 10 on muffler, 20 on the wrong air filter cover, 10 on the inteli carb cover, 28 on walbro hd carb. bought 80 for 28" es bar and rsf full skip chain.
the onlything helping this project along is a 044 i was given for free this is a complete saw that i stole the good top end off of.

might have the 044 up and running today, least i hope so the snow is finaly coming off my firewood mtn. im after bout 30-40 cord is all and i want the 044 as my main buckn limbing everything saw.

sorry i rambling

Evan

Whatever's cheap is what I buy. A runner for a good deal or a pile of parts for real cheap.
Then there's the people with a badly running saw that think it just needs a carb adjustment and should be worth almost what a new one costs. And the people with the box of parts trying to get premium prices for dented dirty and scratched parts. :buttkick::check:

theres 460 in a pile of parts on the traden post, guy wants 300. i was thinkn 100-150 for it, and man throw that junk back togethr so it looks like a saw again

I would rather buy broken/non running saws. I enjoy the challenge of fixing them. I'm too cheap to buy saws that don't need work.

:agree2: Most of the saws I buy are scored. It is more of a hobby for me, so I don't mind if it takes a while to get 'em back up. Always like when I go to look at a "burned up" one, and it turns out to have good comp....

Why buy a runner? I'm just gonna tear it down and rebuild it anyway. In fact knowing what I know now, I wouldn't even buy new without splittin the cases and buildin it the way I want.:clap:

The whole background to my hobbie is the fact that I like fixing things. If I buy a runner it won't be near as exciting to hear it run.

Part of my problem is I collect old saws. Finding old saws that run AND don't cost an arm are very hard to find. If I wanted another firewood saw, I would buy a runner, not a basket case. :)

Latest posts

Back