Broken Stihl Cylinder Fin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Balaska

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I Scarfed Up What I Thought Was A Good Buy On A New Stihl 070 Piston And Cylinder (as Spare Parts) It Has A Fin That Is Broken Off, But Fits Back Perfectly When Held Together. Are The Fins Made Of Magnesium Like The Rest Of The Saw? Like I Said I Don't Need It It's A Spare But Couldn't Turn It Down For 45 Cash And Other Than That It's Perfect. Would You Us Jb Weld Or Have It Welded. I Realize It Tkes A Real Pro To Weld Magnesium. Take A Look

There are lots of them running with a lot more fin area missing than that one.
The crankcases are commonly a magnesium alloy but the cylinder is most likely aluminum. It could be welded without too much difficulty but I would give it a go as is. You would not get a lot of heat transfer with JB or similar and risk having the piece come loose and foul up something else or maybe block cooling air flow. Just keep the saw clean of accumulated crud around the fins.

Its aluminum and it can be welded,,,,

If you have the means to get it done!!!!

Go for it,,,

If not,,,,, I don't think it will hurt much,,,, I have seem them welded before,,,,, if you use the saw for milling it sure wont hurt to have it done,,,

As noted by others the 1 fin is not a big deal. Unless you are an expert welder you will more than likely do more damage than good.

Bill

The problem with welding is it could warp the bore and it could warp the base. I would leave it alone.

I would agree that it can be welded, I seen where someone mentioned it can warp. I have tig welded many broken fins on harley heads and jugs for people.
to keep from warping I will tig a pass and quinch it with a wet rag, let it cool and repeat until I build enough passes that i can hand file back to shape. A pretty easy fix at a local shop. Good luck

I just noticed the pics, yeah that is a dream fix. I wish people would bring me easy stuff like that to weld. If you can't find anyone ship her to me!!

Yeah, my 066 and 372 have ones just like it. The 066 has milled a couple of thousand board feet of oak and walnut, no worse for the wear.

Don't lose any sleep, run the saw.

Mark

We're gonna fix her, thanks for everyone's input. Like I side a brand new NOS spare for $45 bucks don't fall in your lap every day. Hopefully i'll never need it.
Bill

I had an old Echo with a broken fin so i just knocked off the one straight across from it and its still running and its been 25 years...Bob

Back