Broken trigger on a husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawyer40

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have always run stihls but bought a new hushy on ebay.I have run it now about 6 weeks for trimming and toping trees on a large clearcut were doing.I got it pinched in a top left it standing upright in limb grabed my brothers saw made a couple relief cuts and it fell out upside down and broke the saftey trigger on top the handle this is a model 340 . Is the trigger a seperate replacable part or is it part of the handle and gas tank assembly? I dont see how it comes apart. All my stihls have small bolts you unscrew and take the handle apart. Not this saw thers no screws or nothing it looks like I might have to replace the whole handle and gas tank assem.Anyone out there that knows what can be done?I like this saw but this is a poor design now that i'm looking at it.

The 340 looks a lot like some other Huskies. If you find that the handle interchanges with other models, let me know. I have a number of burned out saws in my boneyard. I'd be willing to make you a good deal.

After looking at a pic of the 340, it looks like the rear handle/gas tank is one piece. Keep me in mind.

Tom

So I guess all this talk about how good the Husky saws are is just talk. When one breaks you just throw it away and buy another:rolleyes: Well I like the way this saw runs but if you have to replace half the saw to fix something simple i think I will stay with #1 good old Stihl

Not a bad idea to tie a saw off before you free it the next time you hang one in a top.

Give it a little more time,someone may be able to help you:)

Rick

I don't have a pic in front of me of that saw, but I am willing to bet there is a roll pin in the front of the handle assembly that will allow you to split the handle. The trigger lock assembly is always sold seperately on any saw I have worked on.

Welcome to the world of Husqvarna. We have had several 340s break the trigger and I will tell you that it is one molded piece. You can replace the throttle but getting the spring back in there correctly leaves something to be desired. It is a simple job made hard by Husky.

It is not just the throttle. When you go to remove the clutch have fun. Because you have to stop the piston with a stop and break it loose with a screwdriver and hammer. Or I am sure that Husky sells a special tool for it. What was wrong with the impact method??? Maybe it is just me doing something wrong, I dont repair saws all day like some of these guys. However, noone can claim Husky is easier to work on than Stihl.

Cic....I will argue with you on that....I grew up working on Huskys and Jonsereds....maybe that is the reason....but I would rather work on a Husky any day. The clutch tool is simple for the saws that don't have the hex head...I built one in about 10 minutes out of an old socket...(will post pic tomorrow)

I personally feel that Huskys/Jonsereds are way...and I mean way...easier to work on...

Dennis maybe you need to go look at a 340 the roll pin you talk about is a molded plastic pin that is part of the handle. To split the handle you must also split the gas tank in half. Maybe i could drill out the plastic pin fix the trigger lock and install a real roll pin. That is if husky sells the trigger locks for this saw seperatly from the whole housing.
Rocky didn't know this was a homeowners saw just bought it off ebay for 200$ brand new never had gas in it.Maybe I shouldn't say this but it cut circles around our 024 super that I used for topping.
Iwould like to fix it just don't want to spend what I paid for the saw to do it

I reason the trigger and lock assembly can be removed.It likely slides out the front of handle/tank assembly after you remove the pin(metal on mine)and linkage(but not sure).

Without the parts I would not bother with disassembly.Check eBay or get in touch with Tom,and try to get a used handle/tank with trigger and lock off a junk saw.It may be cheaper then a new trigger and lock.

Rick

Any of you husky guys out there know if there are any other model husky saws that use the same handle as the 340? Maybe the 345 ?

Throttle Lock

Hi Sawyer40, sorry I didn`t get to you sooner on this, could have saved you some grief. The part you want is appropriately named the throttle lock. The part # is 503 85 44-01 and lists for $3.40. You remove the throttle lock by pressing it to the right and pulling upwards at the same time until you hear a click. Repeat this while pressing it to the left. When you hear a click the throttle lock is free and can be lifted out. Reassembly consists of lubing the lock with oil then pressing down the spring while pressing the throttle lock into the front retaining clip. Press the throttle lock downwards and to the right until you hear a click. Repeat this procedure, pressing the throttle lock to the left unti you hear another click. This is much more complex than removing the trim piece from the handle on a Stihl and then getting all the pieces realigned and held properly in place, upside down, while you reinstall the screw that holds the handle together. Neither the complexity nor the cost of this repair should cause you to have to junk the saw, LOL. Like Big Cicero stated, those darned Huskies sure are hard to work on, LOL.

The 340, 345, and 350(all the same platform) are considered to be homeowner saws but they generally are holding up well. In fact I have a 345 that is a loaner saw and nobody has been able to break it yet( listen closely and you will hear the dull sound of me knocking onmy punky wooden head). They do cut quite well for their size. They also respond nicely to two additional 9/16 holes in the cover of the muffler.

Russ

Oh BTW, the pin is metal, maybe your`s has become covered by plastic during manufacturing. To remove it, if you want to remove the throttle assembly, drive it out from the flywheel side using a 2.5mm drift. To remove the throttle, pull it downwards while twisting it to the right then left and lift out the spring. To reinstall the throttle, press the trigger into it`s retaining clips by inserting the back edge first. Now drive the pin back in from the clutch side of the saw. There, now you are a certified Swedish brain surgeon. :D

Russ

Nice reply(s), Russ.

Now we need to find out what the extent of "it fell ... upside down and broke the saftey trigger on top the handle" entails:<blockquote>the piece was merely dislodged (as in your description) requiring simply to be popped back into place (as in your description)

the piece had it's socket interface(s) compromised and needs to be replaced with a new item

the handle had it's socket interface(s) compromised and needs to be replaced with a new item

both those last two possibilities</blockquote>Glen

Glens the throttle lock is broke 3/4 of it is gone I found it under the saw. The spring that you talk about was hanging out of the slot where the throttle lock was. The saw handle itself looks fine. Had to finish out what I was doing so it wasn't long and the spring was in my hand to I saved both parts the spring looks OK. I have never had to deal with Husky I looked in the phone book no dealers near me listed so i'll ask around where I can get parts the way you make it sound it should not be to hard to fix. Thanks guys I knew someone here would know how to fix it.

Sawyer40, you can order the part(s) you need from CCD. Of course if you only order the throttle lock shipping will seem outrageous by comparison. What you need to do is order about $100 worth of stuff and shipping for the lock will be much more in line with what it should be for such a small part. :D BTW, CCD has Stihl, Echo, and Shindaiwa stuff too.

Russ

Marky Mark I'm in the northwest Jersey near the Delaware water gap near the town of Newton
Jokers who is CCD? Are they kind of like Baileys?

Sawyer 40 give Joe a call and he will take care of you. His prices are fair and his work is great. He's the only stocking dealer that I know of in the area. Tell Him I sent you, all he does is work on saws and in NJ that's as rare as a Condor in CA.

Copperas Mtn Chain Saw Co Inc
1610 Route 23 North
Butler , NJ 07405

973-838-4777

Sawyer40, you are welcome for the info. The fix is just as easy as it sounds. If you can`t find what you need locally try CCD and while you`re there you might as well pick up a few chain loops since UPS ground shipping is around $8 for orders between $5 and $100.

Russ

Latest posts

Back