Brrr its cold out..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i love bein' in the out of doors during winter...bein' married with children, wood cuttin' is my great escape !! some days my saw dont even get out of the truck,,,but my squirrel rifle does:msp_wink: i take the depths of winter cold as a challenge and I'll clench and close with old man winter,,win,lose or draw,,,i cant help but come out a better man for my time spent in the out of doors...

If I can get the tractor or quad through the snow, I'm cutting.
I prefer the cold actually. Get the wind cranking off the lake and too much below zero and I'll take a barn day though.
Junk coming out of the tops, and snot flowing faster than Bar oil just makes me cranky.

Spring and early fall means 12+hr days doing Farm stuff, and Mid to late summer is insanity season for us with harvest.
Even if I lost my friggin mind, and wanted to sweat my nads off while risking exsanguination from thousands of skeeters, I wouldn't have the time. LOL!

Gimme a nice clear day in the 20's and a good running saw and I'm happy!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Hmmm. I'm with the crowd that likes cutting in winter. And splitting, and stacking. Hate getting bitten by bugs and being drenched in sweat. But there's a point with the cold where you have to start being careful. -17F is certainly getting there.

Well guys.. i hate to point fingers... BUT some of you are crazy to like it when its 20 below.. :dizzy:

Looks like we are getting a break in the weather here. Supposed to get up to -7f tomorrow and the few days after that up to 36f Back to the wood.. ohh and trying to find me a air of does and a buck to stuff in the freezer.. I think i'll borrow one of my dogs guns.. :msp_smile:

Anything below freezing, rather cut wood at 50-degrees temp plus.I,ve been known to split and stack wood at 90 degree plus temps.It sure beats freezing your butt off....
Been there quit often myself....sweating like a hog,,and the neighbor watches me,,and smiles!!!! But i smile bigger,,cause of zero gas bill..His AINT zero!!!!!!

the temperature won't stop me from spending the day outside doing whatever, including cutting firewood. I love being outside and you'll find me there at sun-up until sun-down most any day i'm not working, even when temperatures are well below zero (and a big part of my job is outside work). But wind is another story... I'd rather it be 15 below with sunshine and little wind, then 15 above with clouds and wind. I can stay perfectly comfortable in temperatures below zero if there's no wind... But a 20 mph wind at 20 above will cut to the bone.

f a c t !!!!!!!! know what might help that tho??? bearskin coat,,ala mountain men......

I don't stop cutting in the summer just because its hot out, your body will adjust to it. I stop cutting in the winter when its cold enough to freeze my fuel for the saws, about -170 degrees. Bottom line only the wind will keep me from cutting, if I can't get out of the high wind I call it quits. High wind is around 60mph or more. Aside from wind its all good, just drink more in the summer, and layer more in the winter.

The temperature won't stop me from spending the day outside doing whatever, including cutting firewood. I love being outside and you'll find me there at sun-up until sun-down most any day I'm not working, even when temperatures are well below zero (and a big part of my job is outside work). But wind is another story... I'd rather it be 15 below with sunshine and little wind, then 15 above with clouds and wind. I can stay perfectly comfortable in temperatures below zero if there's no wind... but a 20 MPH wind at 20 above will cut to the bone.

-20 and 20-30mph winds is a normal day in Iowa in the winter!:wink2:

Long as the tractor will start and I don't get stuck getting out there, I'll cut. If it's real cold, I might just be out there for an hour or so, instead of the better part of a day in decent (above 0F) days. Wind doesn't bother me a whole lot, as I can usually find a protected hollow to cut in.

Some days though, the tractor just won't start and I gotta go fishin instead, or maybe snowmobilin... Maybe it'd start better if I actually pushed the start button on those days :D

-20 and 20-30mph winds is a normal day in Iowa in the winter!

Yes it is...
Often you can find a spot a bit protected from the wind... like a low spot at the south end of the woodlot when the wind is howling out'a the north. But then there's those days when the wind direction lines up with the valleys and there just ain't no gettin' out of it. The worst is those days when the wind comes more from the west than north... it's had all of Nebraska and the Dakota's, as well as the west side of Iowa to build up momentum, slamming into ya' at closer to 50 MPH, or even more... it'll make you wish for those 20-30 MPH north wind days 'cause there just ain't anywhere to hide from it. You just flat ain't felt cold until you've stood on the open Midwest plains, at 20 below zero, facing a 50+ MPH northwest wind... your eyes will freeze open in seconds, and whippin' your weeny out to pee just ain't gonna' happen.

Cold

I like cutting in the cool to cold weather too. I hate the bugs,thorns,weeds,and HEAT and HUMIDITY.Dont usually have much trouble staying warm,but yes the wind can be nasty.Just find a place somewhat out of the wind and get after it.The snow can be a problem,but we usually use one of the farm tractors to pull logs and they get through quite well. I just love this time of year with cooler temps.

Ron

ONE TIME I helped a buddy cut in 5° with a pretty stiff wind. ONE TIME!

I'd say about 10 above unless it's a real sunny VERY calm day. Yep,, I'm a pansy. I have to work in the weather no matter what, so at home I pick and choose when I am willing to go out.
Even at work I have learned it just doesn't pay to send myself and the guys out when you hit about 5° or less. Spend half the day in the truck warming your hands.

Back