Brush and Grass Cutting at a Historic Cemetery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Below are a few pictures from this morning's work at a long-abandoned cemetery in a rural area 20 minutes southeast of Lansing.

A local girl scout took it upon herself to organize an effort to clear the property and make it mowable and visitable again. The cemetery is landlocked in a wheat field, and has burials from the early 1800s onward, including veterans from the War of 1812 and the Civil War, as well as more recent conflicts. The property had not been mowed for at least forty years, and vandals had done some work on the grave markers. Inside of three hours the site was cleared, a number of large stones were righted, and the grass/weeds/scrubby trees were even raked up and hauled out!

In terms of power equipment, it was almost entirely a Stihl affair. Not much in the way of normal saw work, but there was a fair bit of work for the HT131 that someone brought. In terms of trimmers, there were more FS80/85 trimmers than any other type, and they all worked flawlessly. A few FS55 were there, too, and they ran surprisingly well in the heavy, waist-high grass. As the event had been published in the local paper with a request for volunteers, a few suburban BigBoxStore-type folks also came out to help. Their HomeDepot Ryobi/Homelite/Troy-bilt trimmers were NOT happy with this sort of work, and a couple just quit; I didn't stop to diagnose the cause. Incidentally, the green WeedEater trimmers that a couple of the suburban folks brought ran flawlessly, even in fairly heavy grass.

I started out the morning with my walk-behind brushcutter, clearing the large open areas while the string trimmer folks cleared in among the grave markers. Then my clutch cable broke at a point in the cable that I couldn't field-fix with the tools and spare parts I had at hand. So I ran the FS200 with the tri-blade for three tanks worth of cutting, and then ran a couple tanks through the Echo SRM260.

Interestingly, a number of people showed up without extra line or extra fuel, so I made my extra supply of line (anticipating this, I brought .080 and .095 line) and fuel available to folks. I received a number of comments from people who said that their trimmers were running better than ever on my fresh 93 octane + MX2T fuel mix, with smoother acceleration and what they perceived as more power.

Anyway, all in all it made for a fun way to spend an absolutely beautiful, cool Saturday morning!

The "road" in:
Road_In.jpg

Before_1.jpg

Before_3.jpg

A view from the cemetery, looking back out to the road:
Before_2.jpg

A view from the road, with the cemetery in the middle of the field where the trees are:
Distance.jpg

The wire fence had long ago toppled and was laying on the ground all intertwined with grass and weeds, so after a couple attempts at pulling it out by hand we went to plan B:
During_1.jpg

One of the dozen or so trailer loads of grass, brush, and branches that was hauled out:
Leaving_2.jpg

The tools of the day:
Tools_1.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics!! I had to give ya rep on dat one! I love the feeling after helping for a good cause. It comes back to ya sooner or later.

Great pics.

That reminds me of a Bob Dylan song from long ago.
Early 60's.
"there's just one kinda favor I ask of you,
see that my grave is kept clean".

Good Job C.U.

Good Job. Places like that are rich in history and should be looked after, and remembered.

Yes, very well done. You've done a great public service.

Grave sites such as these should never be forgotten, especially those containing the remains of war veterans. To have been vandalized only further adds to the sickening disrespect of the site.

You say a girl scout organized the cleanup? That sounds like a story in itself. Is there any web articles about that? Plans of continuing maintenance?

Yes, very well done. You've done a great public service.

Grave sites such as these should never be forgotten, especially those containing the remains of war veterans. To have been vandalized only further adds to the sickening disrespect of the site.

You say a girl scout organized the cleanup? That sounds like a story in itself. Is there any web articles about that? Plans of continuing maintenance?

Agreed! Vandalism does seem to be a very popular use for older cemeteries, though. The one that I run has seen a resurgence of vandalism this year - animal sacrifices, pentagrams drawn on trees, human figurine candles, etc. - along with a long history of stones being toppled or broken. It is absolutely insane, but since there aren't that many people (living ones, anyway) hanging around most old cemeteries to supervise, they are an easy target for misfits who want to be foolish.

There was an article about this workday - here. Apparently this is the Girl Scout equivalent of an Eagle Scout project.

My understanding is that the township will now be able to mow the property periodically, and other restoration/upkeep/transcription efforts will be taken on by volunteers and some of the folks from findagrave.com.

Good job Brandon!
It's nice to see that there are people that will take the time to do things like this.
:rock: :rock:

Ed

Looks like a great job, good to see some still care and are willing to contribute their time for a good cause. :biggrinbounce2:

Back