Buck Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. I still run around with a 16" stick and give the log a little blast from an inverted spray paint can. I do this even though I can eyeball 16" pretty good these days. God is my witness, I've probably cut 1000s of 16" log lengths.

No relation to this in any way other than a happy customer but found this really saved me time cutting firewood up: http://www.themingomarker.com/

I screwed around for years with a 100' tape measure and lumber crayons because I cannot eyeball the lengths for crap still after all these years.

The mingo marker can be kind of finicky with the paint sometimes and if the logs are really small or lots of knots sticking out it can be a pain to keep the wheel on the log properly but it's the best thing I've found so far.

I could not use a saw with a 16" bar for bucking. I would prefer a 20" bar for my bucking saw, but for some reason I always have an abundance of 24" stuff. Maybe my MS2390 will get this buck bar instead of this Husky, it's my only 20" bar saw.

I made something like what is shown in this vid (you can skip to the 6-7 minute mark if impatient). A stronger magnet will make for a better experience - it takes more than a bump to dislodge the one I made.
I had seen that video before. I thought it was a good idea and you can easily switch sides of the bar.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I've been running my 361 with a 20" bar as my main saw for about 15 years, and it's gotten so I can cut logs to the max length that'll fit into the woodstove by eye (about 18" or 20" -- I'm not sure the actual measurement, come to think of it), and get it within 1/4" most of the time just by-gosh and by-gollying it. No magic marker on the bar, no stick, no using the bar as a guide, nothing -- I just look at the log and say to myself, "Cut there."

But whenever I use my 660 (with 28" bar) my eye goes to hell, and all my logs end up too long, even though I'm doing it all just by looking at the log. It pisses me off when trying to load them into the woodstove, because most of them end up an inch or two too long, and then I've got to cut them into little short logs, and waste a bunch of time and gas and sawdust doing it...

Been wanting to build something like this for quite a while. Finally got around to it. Took me 30 min and 20 of that was running around for drill bits.

View attachment 922914
View attachment 922915
Absolutely great idea mate, and you could easily sell this design. I might steal it. I normally either do it by eye and end up with wood of all different lengths - I have a jig for helping to make them shorter) or I have a length of 1x2x16" wood painted bright yellow and will use that for doing paint marks (usually do this when the wife is helping me). I've looked at the magnet ones before and i think they are ok if either the bar is longer than the wood you're cutting, or if you just use it for pre marking, but your idea would be great no matter the bar in use and won't get in the way. The only problem is probably that it'll get in the way when not cutting and you can only use it cutting right to left down a log.

. The only problem is probably that it'll get in the way when not cutting and you can only use it cutting right to left down a log.
You can use it left to right if you place it on the log, reference where the tip of the measuring bar is and then keep your eye on it as you move your saw. If you find a grain, leaf or knot you can usually get it bang on.

You can use it left to right if you place it on the log, reference where the tip of the measuring bar is and then keep your eye on it as you move your saw. If you find a grain, leaf or knot you can usually get it bang on.
Ah, i guess so. And I guess if you have it rub against the log as you cut it'll leave a guide line for your next cut

But whenever I use my 660 (with 28" bar) my eye goes to hell, and all my logs end up too long, even though I'm doing it all just by looking at the log. It pisses me off when trying to load them into the woodstove, because most of them end up an inch or two too long, and then I've got to cut them into little short logs, and waste a bunch of time and gas and sawdust doing it...
You could probably save yourself some time and frustration by putting the 20" bar on the 660 :omg:

Latest posts

Back