Bucket babies:Are they all slackers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

userdude

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been working with about 8 different bucket babies lately and have noticed that every one of them are lazy and uneducated, at least as far as this industry goes. I'd rather hang out with the groundies since most of them seem willing to learn. I see bucket guys as 'taking the easy way out' and it has spoiled them to the point of not giving a damn. I'll be willing to cite examples if necessary. What are some of you guys' experiences with these types?

I've seen that too, some much more that others. IMO, it's the way they were anyway, easier work just brings it out in them. but like I said, not all are like that from my view, but enough to perhaps cause a stereotype.
-Ralph

Bucket guys bomb other guys alot. It no so friendly fire to bomb your mates from a bucket, I dont care how much workers comp you got. Stop bombing folks slackers!!!!!

take wraps around the tree and no some bucket stantion. Wrap the rope around itself. And dont be shouldering big pulpwood logs, the bucket will come out from under you!:censored:

userdude said:
I've been working with about 8 different bucket babies lately and have noticed that every one of them are lazy and uneducated, at least as far as this industry goes. I'd rather hang out with the groundies since most of them seem willing to learn. I see bucket guys as 'taking the easy way out' and it has spoiled them to the point of not giving a damn. I'll be willing to cite examples if necessary. What are some of you guys' experiences with these types?

talk about a generalized blanket statement. thats like saying most climbers that I know are either nuts, on drugs, or drunks.

working smarter, not harder is not taking the easy way out. It's called being efficient and using the right tool for the job. it may be your climbing gear or it may be that aerial lift. aerial lifts serve a purpose in this industry. some jobs id rather climb some Id rather take the bucket. if working over 60hrs a week all year round makes me lazy and uneducated so be it.

quit being so stereotypical.

oh come on John! We all know that all climbers are pompous and arrogant also.:hmm3grin2orange:

A few appear to be eating retard sandwiches today.:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Newfie said:
oh come on John! We all no that all climbers are pompous and arrogant also.:hmm3grin2orange:

haha ya add that to the stereotype while we are at it!

As far as utility work goes, it is a matter of production and safety. I don't care if you are a 9 foot tall, 3 armed chimp with a squirrel tail, good bucket guys will out cut climbers 2 if not 3 to one. Not just trimming twigs either, heavy overhang, 30"+ removals, you name it. If they can drag a bucket truck to it, it's down faster than 3 groundmen can chip or stack.

I give anyone their props for being good climbers. Climbing, rigging, and cutting aloft is an art and if time and hazzards permit, a good pecentage of the overhead cost their climbing eliminates should be awarded to them and there support crew. Still, after either is set up, the bucket will reach the top long before the climber........Buckets don't need a break and they don't get tired.

Now, if the groundmen where looking up when they heard a saw running like they are supposed to.........They wouldn't have to worry about being bombed. :D Man I can hear the crap storm comming on this one.

I think maybe a couple of you guys misunderstood me.
I realize buckets have there place and am thankful for them at times.
I am referring to the guys who ONLY run a bucket. The guys who can't step out of their bucket, into the tree, and go up another few feet to get that overhang. Or, the bucket man who only knows how to tie a bowline. Or, the ones who brag how fast they are at production trimming while using a hyd. pole saw instead of a circular saw.
I have a feeling I'll learn who the bucket babies and the climbers are, here, before this thread is done.

Last edited:
I've got almost 20 years climbing. Of that, I've had use of a bucket truck maybe 3 years of that. Let me tell you, the quickest way to ruin a good climber is to put him in a bucket truck.

But either way I know what you're talking about. 80% of the guys in this industry are jerks, idiots or worse. Or at least that's the opinion of this prima dona climber/ bucket baby. I'll usually do everything I can to make the ground crew's job as easy and smooth as possible as long as everyone is working together. But once some idiot kid starts badmouthing me or telling me how much better he is than me, I'll bury his azz in a New York second.
:chainsaw:

I know utility trimmers who are older now and don't climb but they trim like machines, around power all the time, if you called them a bucket baby they might just choke you out, strong hands throwing that trim saw around all day. I don't like trimming, done it and it is not as easy as it looks, removals with a bucket are the way to go, I am used to climbing out of the bucket on big trees, works great, sure beats not climbing the first 60-70 ft.. A similar question would be "What about climbers who are too stupid to use a boom truck when its available?"

clearance said:
A similar question would be "What about climbers who are too stupid to use a boom truck when its available?"

Well, alot of climbing crews don't have the luxury of having a bucket nearby, but, since I do, I take advantage of it. I'll use those 'lil 50 foot booms to save me that distance in climbing if there happens to be one close by. The job is based on production and if I know I have several more to climb, yeah, the bucket is a great shortcut.
As far as an old timer running the bucket...nothing wrong with that. I'm sure when I get up in age that bucket truck will be looking like a god send.

I do my fair share of work out of buckets. Seems like your looking for a pat on the back climbing and not using a bucket or maybe your jeleaos that can't use or dont have a bucket. It's just a tool. Working productivly out of a bucket isnt lazy. I used a bucket the other day to take a few trees down and I was soaked on a 40 degree day. That's just me always in motion. I was untying and retying slings drop crotching wood quicker than the ground guy could untie the knot.

Using the term bucket babies just shows your own ignorance. People have to start and learn somewhere and people who get older need a place to go. Don't go knocking people. If you see a guy with circular saw in the tree then go ahead and have a field day with that.

Jon, FYI, I've been climbing for 13 yrs. straight and have never looked for a pat on the back. It's just another day at the office for me.
AGAIN: I'm referring to the guys who REFUSE to climb and ONLY run a bucket. The same guys who have no desire to further their career by learning even the most basic climbing skills.
BTW, the few times that I did 'production' trim with a bucket it was exclusively with a circ. saw, not a slow(pole) saw. I've been around a while bro, don't mistake post count with lack of experience.

If a bucket is all you got...

I admit I can only work the bucket and the ground. But I work hard at what I can do. I don't mind the ego stroking that goes along with tree climbers. They deserve to be recognized for their skills.

I admit that climbing is quite a skill to master. I have one hell of a climber working for me and I appreciate all he does for our company. In the past, if it was a climber I passed on the job. Now there is no tree we can't do. It rounded out the services our company offers and we do not have to turn away all the work that came with the climbing stuff.

If I am a bucket baby that is fine with me. I as much or more done out of the bucket compared to anyone else around and I know I get more done on the ground. I can't climb worth a lick with my fat ass and at this stage in the game I am not going to learn. I have turned that over to the guys who can climb and I give them due both in praise and the pocketbook.

However, in our company, if you don't want to do everything involved with completing a job you are worthless. No one is above ground work and clean up. We have a small crew so that is the way it goes. I realize our top climber is more valuable when he gets in the next tree but we have to finish up the job we are on before we go to the next one.

I don't judge someone on a particular skill but I do value each team member's contribution to getting the job done.

It just seems like your attacking them. Why? You might as well go bashing the guy who serves you at McDonalds for not wanting to further himself. Someone has to do it. Be glad it isnt you. All we can hope for is that they get good at it and become the best bucket babies they can be. Let them be.

maybe it's the fierce pride that climbing(without spikes) generates, but I can't see finishing a climb with a crappy nonstandard cut. I think many bucket operators do. Or if it's a removal, they stub branches from other trees to clear access.

rebelman said:
maybe it's the fierce pride that climbing(without spikes) generates, but I can't see finishing a climb with a crappy nonstandard cut. I think many bucket operators do. Or if it's a removal, they stub branches from other trees to clear access.
Fierce pride, what? why?, I keep hearing about how easy and fast it is to sprurless climb. Once in a while the truth comes out.

Latest posts

Back