Ace hardware as a Stihl dealer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am fortunate to work near one the bigger Stihl dealers in Metro ATL. They are good for chainsaws and parts. I recently found a hardware store(not Ace) closer to home. Dropped $1k for a 131r and several attachments. It's an old timey place. Stihl elite service rated. Smells like the good old days, old fellers smile and greet you at the counter. The ACE up the street is full of snot nosed teens who can't stop looking at their phones long enough to complete a sentence. They never have what I need, don't know what skip chain is... but the guys in the saw shop are pretty good with a grinder. It is a roll of the dice dealing with them. One would think Stihl would be a little more invested in who they use to peddle their wares.

Gone is the local family owned hardware store, with worn wood floors that creak, nail bins, clearance racks, and everything you need when you walk in. The tinker out back would make anything happen. His time spent was his life; his experiences, his expertise. The money part of it was vapor.......
My STIHL dealer is 4th generation family owned. Sold the creaky wooden floor shop, due to real estate pressures, and relocated to a small industrial park.

Philbert

I worked in the small engine repair shop at a "Do It Best" hardware store. Formerly it was under Ace's umbrella. I retired 8 years ago. They were a full line dealer for Stihl products and many other manufactures of lawn and garden equipment to include, generators, walk behind mowers, riders, zero turns etc. and were authorized warranty dealers on everything they sold except MTD product line, because they will not pay shop labor rates on their cheap inferior products!
The shop had a parts inventory like no other! They paid us well and the shop was state of the art with working conditions not found in most shops today. We worked in short sleeve shirts year around and they furnished them! Sadly they recently CLOSED their shop because of staffing problems. Try finding a person that has any mechanical ability, can pass a drug test, willing to learn and has their own basic tools today. BTW....the newer hires came with cell phones and knew how to use them! The counter employees put their FB postings first while customers waited for service! Besides that, they can't show up for work on schedule or on time either!
The store also lost their franchise with Stihl and rightly so...they like other Stihl dealers, they must maintain a shop, unlike Husky, Poulan or the big box dealers and IMHO, that is what sets Stihl ahead of "the pack".
Sad state of affairs this country is in today because for the past two generations the government has rewarded people not to work or learn a trade....oh well!

FWIW, Fisher's Ace Hardware here in Plumsteadville, PA got rid of its Stihl line and now only sell Chinese saws. They don't make any apologies for doing so and are content with selling cheap Chinese crap.

FWIW, Fisher's Ace Hardware here in Plumsteadville, PA got rid of its Stihl line and now only sell Chinese saws. They don't make any apologies for doing so and are content with selling cheap Chinese crap.
Plenty of people willing to buy cheap crap. Look at Harbor Freight.

Philbert

Back