Ace hardware as a Stihl dealer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernswede

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy all,
The local shop I frequented for all my Stihl equipment has since moved and got a fancy new shop. With that they seem to have gotten a “big corporate” attitude and the people they have working there now couldn’t be bothered in the least to help with new equipment purchases.

In short, been looking for a km131r and a few attachments, called me up once and was told “nope we don’t have any”. Thanked the guy for his time and waited a week and called back and this time I was told that they just got some in. I stated that I’d like to pick one up and listed the attachments I needed as well. I was told “sure they will be here” and I also asked if I had to mentioned anyone by name when I arrived, and was told “nope” and that was that. Upon arrival about 35 mins from calling, the mrs and I went down to the shop and there was one guy behind a desk and he said nothing. We were the only people in the shop at 9am. We went up to him and asked about the 131 and I asked if he was the person I spoke to on the phone and we got “I talk to a lot of people bud” so after that remark the next bit was laughable. The guy comes out from behind his desk, looks on the floor and there in boxes were 6 km131’s, and when he saw them he sighed and said “oh well I guess I have to get one of these assembled for you but it’s gonna take a while so…” At this point I looked at my wife, who was as irked as I was, and I said “oh well if it’s gonna be a bother we can come back at a later time” and we both left.

That being said there’s no other shop that’s a Stihl dealer near me, only some small Ace hardware shops. So with that, my question or rather concern is warranty and service from an Ace hardware retail shop, as the only shop around me now seems to be run by a new class of sad sack do nothings. Is buying from Ace just going to be as bad as my chances of running into a kid who doesn’t know jack seems higher as opposed to going to an actual dealer. But my current experience says it’s more like a roll of the dice now.

Wouldn’t mind some input on buying from an Ace hardware shop, seems Stihl won’t just make online ordering easy otherwise I’d have ordered directly and had it shipped.

I'd say it's a case by case basis, totally dependent on the staff. I'd be hesitant to drop $1,000 on a saw from the Ace 5 minutes away from me. They're helpful and friendly but there isn't much of a service or parts department. The Ace/Stihl dealer 40 minutes south of me has a large inventory, a full parts department and full service department, as does the dealer 30 minutes west of me. I'd buy from either of them without a second thought.

Also, for what it's worth, I have a KM90 with several attachments and it's been pretty solid. The powerhead is kinda heavy (4-mix engines are) but the attachments are rock solid.

I'd say it's a case by case basis, totally dependent on the staff. I'd be hesitant to drop $1,000 on a saw from the Ace 5 minutes away from me. They're helpful and friendly but there isn't much of a service or parts department. The Ace/Stihl dealer 40 minutes south of me has a large inventory, a full parts department and full service department, as does the dealer 30 minutes west of me. I'd buy from either of them without a second thought.
I will have to go check the Ace / Stihl dealer out and see if they have an actual parts and service dept. If so that may be my alternative option.

Thanks for weighing in on your model KM and the attachments. Hedge and string trimmer attachment to start and then the brushblade and pole saw will be next. Tiller will be probably the last one for the garden.

Defininately shop dependant and you'll have to take a look.

Also in NH. I would consider the two Ace hardwares(Center Harbor and Tilton) I've been in near me almost the equivalent of buying from a 'Big Box' store.

Certainly some helpful folks there to pick out axe handles or plumbing parts, but not necessarily saw experts. I could be wrong though.

The odd lack of stocking and servicing Stihl dealers near me pushed me into Husky. Seems I can't turn a corner without running into a good Husky dealer.
Although the place I bought my last Husky from in Meredith also stocks Echo, so I wouldn't mind trying them out one day.

Ace Stihl dealer here is top notch.They sent 3 people to somewhere in Ohio to be trained Stihl techs.Not saying that means anything, but it does show they have backing from Stihl and I have not heard a bad word about them. Saying that, I buy Husqvarna and have not used a Stihl dealer in many years.

I bought my 192T and 462 from a local Ace Hardware. They were well stocked, have 2 people who work on power equipment, and are a very friendly set of people. At least one of the technicians is trained by Stihl. They even gave me a cash discount on my 462 that saved me about $100 and threw in some extras.

It's a store-by-store basis. The other Ace Hardware in the same town sucks. Unfriendly set of folks and not well stocked. I never give them my patronage.

Customer service is key.

Defininately shop dependant and you'll have to take a look.

Also in NH. I would consider the two Ace hardwares(Center Harbor and Tilton) I've been in near me almost the equivalent of buying from a 'Big Box' store.

Certainly some helpful folks there to pick out axe handles or plumbing parts, but not necessarily saw experts. I could be wrong though.

The odd lack of stocking and servicing Stihl dealers near me pushed me into Husky. Seems I can't turn a corner without running into a good Husky dealer.
Although the place I bought my last Husky from in Meredith also stocks Echo, so I wouldn't mind trying them out one day.

There is only one decent Stihl dealer anywhere near me although all the local hardware stores sell the homeowner stuff. There are no Husqvarna dealers anywhere around here. I have a couple Stihls but doubt if I ever buy another. I have to order Husqvarna stuff online but there are a couple echo dealers.

As noted by many in this thread it is 100% shop specific. It has zero to do with Ace Hardware. I assume you realize Ace Hardware is just a distrubuter of goods. When you set-up a private store you need to buy from someone. A dealer and farm store near me was family owned since well before I was born. They were also Stihl dealers. Their hardware supplier has changed many times from ones like Service Star, Hardware Hank, Coast to Coast, then Ace. They retired and sold the business to another family that has a few stores. I am not sure who they buy hardware from now.

As bill and other have said, it's shop specific. The closest husqy/stihl dealer also happen to be an ace hardware store as well. They arnt the best dealer out there, but they stock a decent amount of O. P. E. and do ok on common parts. Ther service staff is decent, and professional. They fail in comparison to my favorite stihl/husqy dealer, but they are also a 40 minuet drive away.

Stihl just needs to get off their high horse and sell online. I understand their whole point of wanting brick and mortar type sales and service, but they will be left behind by Husky and Echo and a few hundred Chinese saws if they don't compete on Amazon.
Well a bunch of brick and mortar Stihl dealers will disagree with you:(. You realize they do sell online through authorized Stihl dealers.

Well a bunch of brick and mortar Stihl dealers will disagree with you:(. You realize they do sell online through authorized Stihl dealers.
Trust me,I would rather deal face to face with someone and support local business. I am saying though that I can go online and buy anything from a Husky 120 to a 3120 XP. Some dealers can only sell a homeowner model in the store. Convenience is what people are looking for today. Sad I know.

Our local Ace sells echo only.
Stihl just needs to get off their high horse and sell online. I understand their whole point of wanting brick and mortar type sales and service, but they will be left behind by Husky and Echo and a few hundred Chinese saws if they don't compete on Amazon.
couldn’t be more wrong. Stihl will always dominate no matter how they choose to sell them. Echo makes a good product but is no worry to Stihl. Hoosky is absolute garbage, Stihl has no worries there.

couldn’t be more wrong. Stihl will always dominate no matter how they choose to sell them. Echo makes a good product but is no worry to Stihl. Hoosky is absolute garbage, Stihl has no worries there.
I am not a huge fan of Echo, but the 590 Echo Timberwolf is giving Stihl a run for their money against the 271 and 291 in sales. The Stihl 461 661 will probably always dominate the logging woods , but every Harry Homeowner will spend their money at Amazon.

I think you're dead wrong. The younger generation doesn't buy **** from brick and mortar, and if Stihl doesn't get onboard with online sales at some point, they'll find themselves in the toilet just like Sears and Cabela's who also thought they were too big to fail.

Back