bucket truck height

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What do you guys feel is the ideal height for a bucket truck? This is something I have thought about for a while, just from seeing what different heights will do, and what different people have.

I don't think there really is an ideal height. Sometimes the taller the better, sometimes the extra boom limits your maneuverability. 60' is fairly common, although 65's up to 75's are geeting more use these days. I have a 47 footer that gets 70 percent of the bucket work done. The shorter booms and lighter cabover chassis make that truck more ground friendly and easier in tight spots. The outrigger spread on the 65'er is like 11 feet deployed, and can be a real pain.

It also depends on what type of bucket truck it is. The type like the electric companies use is very limited even with good working height. The type that line clearance companies use is better suited for tree work. Also, it depends on where the bucket is mounted on the truck. Rear mount alows you to back right up to the tree and reach higher as wells as further out. By using a rear mount bucket we were able back up and reach over fences, houses, etc. better than if it was a center mount. The extra reach was well worth having a chip truck as opposed to a chip box mounted on the bucket truck.

Different geographic areas will yield different answers. A bucket suitable for the 110' willow oaks in NC would not be suitable for the 60'-80' laurel and live oaks here in Florida. The working height of the bucket should match the work it is purchased for.

Bought this around Thanksgining.Got a good deal,so can sell it and make a few extra $...'s Very limited,and always 20feet short. It is for sale.:)

Latest posts

Back