Bucking Saw Suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I have heard from the owners of these saws they are the one of the best saws made of their class these days, built well and simple to work on if need be.

I hope you have a saw that works at the end of the warranty. Take a look @ the exhaust outlet on the muffler, and tell me its not a recipe for complete failure. Its like 1\20th of the size of the exhaust port. Never could get what people get so thrilled about them for other than price. Might as well gamble on a holzfforma or some China saw, imo. They aren't a bad saw if you gut the muffler and turn up the fuel. That being said a 562 can kick its butt 11 times out of 10.
The Echo 590 is probably the least spectacular when compared to any pro 60cc saw available new today (and LOTS of old ones too)

however, when compared to the modern "farm" saws (the class Echo themselves puts it in, btw) it is probably the most spectacular

just keeping it real.

Yea the delivery driver questioned me on that same issue said he never heard of a guy using it for driveway but was the cheapest aggregate I could find. If it's spread thin and gets pushed into the dirt (I have clay) it's pretty good. Anything over 3 rocks deep tends to get pushed around. I went with the 6a because I didn't want to track limestone into the house and a buddy said the asphalt millings/tailings you track that oil in. On a + note the wife and neighbors kids finds all kinds of cool rocks and Petoskey stones in it. Thinking 3/4" minus it's called would be better because it's not all round and locks together better
We have trap rock/basalt here. Driveway stuff is called stone dust but is actually small crushed black basalt with the fine dust mixed in so it binds up. It still plows away and is very hard sharp rock pieces so it's tough on pavements. The same rock, in larger crushes, makes our concrete strong. The washed stone, like yours, is pretty mobile under load because of the voids between the stones and round shapes that don't lock together.

We have trap rock/basalt here. Driveway stuff is called stone dust but is actually small crushed black basalt with the fine dust mixed in so it binds up. It still plows away and is very hard sharp rock pieces so it's tough on pavements. The same rock, in larger crushes, makes our concrete strong. The washed stone, like yours, is pretty mobile under load because of the voids between the stones and round shapes that don't lock together.
One thing I noticed i wasn't expecting that made it easy for me was that it shovels well with flat or spade and also rakes real easy with a garden rake.

I hope you have a saw that works at the end of the warranty. Take a look @ the exhaust outlet on the muffler, and tell me its not a recipe for complete failure. Its like 1\20th of the size of the exhaust port. Never could get what people get so thrilled about them for other than price. Might as well gamble on a holzfforma or some China saw, imo. They aren't a bad saw if you gut the muffler and turn up the fuel. That being said a 562 can kick its butt 11 times out of 10.
Have you ever run Holzfforma?

I’d go with a Husqvarna 266xp, 268, 272xp, 372xp, 570, 575 if I had a choice bigger is better a 288 Xp or a 385 Xp. Even a used 181xp.

Holzfforma is suppose to come out with bigger cc husky clones soon.

I’d go with a Husqvarna 266xp, 268, 272xp, 372xp, 570, 575 if I had a choice bigger is better a 288 Xp or a 385 Xp. Even a used 181xp.

Holzfforma is suppose to come out with bigger cc husky clones soon.
Holzfforma has had a clone of the 272 out for a couple of years now. I own one and it cuts much the same as the Husky it replicates. That is why I'm asking if NorthernMaverick has ever used one. I'm betting the answer is no and he is just spouting off out of biased ignorance.

I bought mine after reading a number of reviews by folks who cut with saws daily and work on them for a living.

I have not used mine long enough to determine how well it will hold up long term, but I have cut with everything from Stihls, Huskys, Dolmar/makitas, old school Poulans, Solos. etc. The Holzfforma holds it's own, at least when new. Only time will tell about the longevity, but the fact that parts are directly interchangeable with the Huskies they clone helps with getting replacement parts down the road.

You might be on to something. Listed at 64cc, 13.9# complete with 20"bar and $68 a day and about 4 miles away. And they are Orange now!
Or maybe not considering the powerhead only weights 14.5# and is an overweight, underpowered saw that you can swing a 20" bar on to cut at a moderate pace. Again I am not impressed with the power or the weight. It has enough torque for a 20" bar but peak HP is lackluster and will tire you, me out much quicker that a lighter 60cc saw. Now the 7900 kit changes a lot except for the part about wearing you out.

Were you running the Home Depot chain, I think they do a fine job.
They are a bit overweight when you consider you can have the same chassis with 79cc, but they cut nice and would do a great job in 20" green wood.
Here's one with a new style husky chain in very hard ash.

and if it weighed 2# less I would not have a problem with it.

Or maybe not considering the powerhead only weights 14.5# and is an overweight, underpowered saw that you can swing a 20" bar on to cut at a moderate pace. Again I am not impressed with the power or the weight. It has enough torque for a 20" bar but peak HP is lackluster and will tire you, me out much quicker that a lighter 60cc saw. Now the 7900 kit changes a lot except for the part about wearing you out.
Have a 7910 HD , cuts as well as my former 576 xp . Actually much more torgue than the Husky !

I picked up sinter fines , dirt cheap , packs well . My entire wood deck area is spread with it . Grass does not grow back through it either lol.

To the original question for a couple of 20 " trees rent a 60 + class saw . Otherwise buy a homeowner saw as has been previously advised by some rather knowledgible forum members . IMHO a good 60 + class 590 Echo or 460 Husky Rancher are cheap and strong pulling quality saws that will run a 24 " bar . In red oak you may prefer 20 " with semi skip chisel . Alternately if you could find a pristine 357 xp slightly been used , your prayers would be answered lol. :blob2:

I just cut down and bucked a 12" maple with my Echo 2511t and it has never skipped a beat. It took a couple hours including moving the agility course obstacles, setting up the tractor and rope to convince it's fall direction, and hauling all the brush to the back of the property. It always starts on the 2nd pull (opposed to my Husquavarna that was always a 20 minute swearing episode), weighs less than a gallon of milk and I never did a thing to it except put in gas and oil and sharpen the chain in the couple years that I've owned it. It's my favorite saw in recent memory.
If it dies at the end of the 5 year warranty, so be it; It's only $80 a year. I just spent that on a tank of gas in the truck.

I strongly believe my father's saying of "buy what you need, not what you want".

The point being, after all the discussions, and I appreciate the opinions, I have put the limit up at the 50cc saw size because it will be most useful for this and future stages of life.
346 xp , 5105H , CS 400 all with muffler mods ! If your restricted to a 50 cc weight limit !

Have a 7910 HD , cuts as well as my former 576 xp . Actually much more torgue than the Husky !
So that's a 7910 HD, HD for home depot right, or is if for heavy & dirty :laugh:. Although I know yours is probably clean as a whistle, minus the spit lol.
I just sold this one, so I took it for a little spin today.

So that's a 7910 HD, HD for home depot right, or is if for heavy & dirty :laugh:. Although I know yours is probably clean as a whistle, minus the spit lol.
I just sold this one, so I took it for a little spin today.

Baha , yep heavy Brett but only at Miller Time , but never dirty ! Nice video . I have another order for you to fill when you come across another Pristine 7900 . The other Son now wants one. ! lmao

Holzfforma has had a clone of the 272 out for a couple of years now. I own one and it cuts much the same as the Husky it replicates. That is why I'm asking if NorthernMaverick has ever used one. I'm betting the answer is no and he is just spouting off out of biased ignorance.

I bought mine after reading a number of reviews by folks who cut with saws daily and work on them for a living.

I have not used mine long enough to determine how well it will hold up long term, but I have cut with everything from Stihls, Huskys, Dolmar/makitas, old school Poulans, Solos. etc. The Holzfforma holds it's own, at least when new. Only time will tell about the longevity, but the fact that parts are directly interchangeable with the Huskies they clone helps with getting replacement parts down the road.
No I haven't run one. If you want to call me ignorant, go ahead, but I have time on 2 echo saws that was less than pleasing. Thow in a experience with echo customer service, that stunk to boot. For me the ability to use interchangeable parts would sell me, if the main point is saving money at purchase.

Latest posts

Back