Bucking spike length deduct from bar length?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles86

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if you adjust the bar length for the size of your bucking spike? I have a saw that the spike is abount 3" out from the front case, so my 20" bar is only 17" actually cutting wood.

I wanted to have 24" usable for this saw so I bought a 28" bar, which is the longest recommended for this model. Or could you use a 32" bar which is
about 29" in the wood? Thanks again.

That's the biggest reason I won't run a 20" on a 70cc saw. You only get 17" of useful bar.

I also found a 20 useless on my 660. Then the 25 got old too. Now I have a new 28 that hopefully will do everything I need to do. If not, I'm going 32 next. :)

A 28" is pretty good on there. It gives you about 24" of cut. A 30" gives 27" or so. Oregon makes a 30" rw. I've got a 30" cannon.

Depends on the wood you cut as well. My 361 is "rated" for up to a 28" b/c but I know for sure it would never pull it in oak or the maple we cut for firewood even if it had double skip.

I also found a 20 useless on my 660. Then the 25 got old too. Now I have a new 28 that hopefully will do everything I need to do. If not, I'm going 32 next. :)

The 28's run alright on my 066 but i like my 32 better. Its heavy but feels a little more balanced. I have a few 32's i want to get rid of. a few brand new. Want them for cheap?:struggle:

Hey , thanks for the replies, sorry the saw is a Stihl ms440 2005 , I have the dual port cover but its all stock, just removed the spark screens (2), I cut hardwood and use skip chain, but the 32" seems a little too long, I like the 28" best. Winter is causing boredom, causing too much time to think up these questions.

I agree that if you run bigger dawgs a 20 on a 70cc is not enough. I likethat set-up for climbing but for bucking/falling it isn't enough bar. A 32 is really going to be to much for a 044 in hardwood IMO. I quess a 28 with skip chain would be ok, but IMO the best set-up is a 24 and comp. chain.

The 24/5" is so close to a 28" I don't really notice a difference in them. The best thing about the 28" is getting a light weight bar that feels like a 20" out front.

I went with a 24" on my Kita 6401 due to the big azz spikes on that thing. If I had the 7901 I would have gone 28".

Latest posts

Back