Buckingham Glide Saddle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbull

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with these saddles? How are they? Comfort? Adjustability? Pros/Cons. I'm interested in getting one but haven't heard any feedback on them yet.

Brandon

They are definately sturdy, if you're in to that. The biggest thing I think they have going for them is adjustability. There are so many options!

I like that you can girth hitch on your own bridge out of whatever material you want, rather than tying the fisherperson's knots, as you do on the Butterfly.

love
nick

I tried one on, and I didn't like it. The buckles on the leg straps needed to be flipped to get the buckle out of you nuts, and it seemed very large and bulky, a trade off for all of the adjustment that it has to offer. I would get a ness. I was at you position a while back, and I wanted to get the glide because it was the newest and "best" thing. Then I got the ness, and it is as comfortable as anyone could hope for, plus you save over 100 dollars.

Carl

I have been using a Glide for a while now and I like it. I used a Butterfly for three years, the Glide is very close in comfort and manuverability to the BF. The leg buckles can go on the outside. You can also reroute the suspention to get it the way you want. It did take so time to get every thing right. which was a PITA. But well worth it now. I only know of 3 other people using it and they like it.

You have to take the whole thing apart and it will fit around the rings.

It can come with a micro pulley, but I don't think that the pinch factor was too high. The only complaint I can think of in regards to the pulley was that it "glided" too easy, and made some uncomfortable.

Carl

Originally posted by tjk
You have to take the whole thing apart and it will fit around the rings.

Yep, that's one aspect where the Glide is above the Butterfly.

It might be a pain taking it apart, but you only have to do it once.

I need to give the glide a shot. I've taken one apart, but I need to climb in one!

Oh, about the micropulley...I think that set up needs some modifying. The set up on MOST climbers involves 2 carabiners. One for the spliced eye and one for the friction hitch. The pulley only allows attachment of one carabiner. So you'd have to clip one carabiner to the pulley and clip the other carabiner to the first carabiner. Now it's getting cluttered.

A pulley with a larger eye (or two eyes) would be better. I'm tempted to put the Swivel on there!

I think the bridges work better with NO pulley. I like having that little bit of friction.

love
nick

I do not like the pulley either. It also puts your hitch higher, I prefer mine low.

That brings up a good point, I like mine low too. The reason most guys replace the bridge on the Butterfly is to get that hitch lower by shortening the bridge. If you get it too short, you can't get in your saddle.
It sure would be nice if you could make it really short, then have some way of attaching the bridge after you're strapped in.
Why don't they make a really small double auto locking binner?

Mike, a few months ago I asked the same question about the tiny locking carabiner. A few people told the smallest 'biners they knew of. I think Rocky submitted the smallest one....a Black Diamond if I remember right.

I tried to find the thread, but could not.

I think there should be a little one. A person could use it as the little ring on a friction saver, too!

love
nick

Latest posts

Back