Bug repellent

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard that bugs are attracted to people with certain blood types and foods people eat. I dont know what my blood type is but I hardly ever have a problem with bugs or ticks. I have heard that eating lots of onions and garlic will also help keep bugs away. I love onions and garlic so maybe thats it.

I have heard that bugs are attracted to people with certain blood types and foods people eat. I dont know what my blood type is but I hardly ever have a problem with bugs or ticks. I have heard that eating lots of onions and garlic will also help keep bugs away. I love onions and garlic so maybe thats it.
Agree with both. Bugs barely "bug" me unless I'm outside alone.

This works better than anything Ive tried. As a surveyor, I'm quite often in places where bugs, mainly mosquitoes, are quite prolific.

HG94109.jpg

Whats the best bug repellent you guys have found for cutting in the summer months. In indiana the mosquitos and deer flies can make it miserable to be in the woods

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
any saw that runs 16:1 should work but don't use synthetic oil. :rolleyes:

This works better than anything Ive tried. As a surveyor, I'm quite often in places where bugs, mainly mosquitoes, are quite prolific.

HG94109.jpg
This is what I use for mosquitoes and ticks. Doesn't do much for deer flies. It was written up last year by Consumers Reports as the one of the few non-deet repellents to really work. Pretty smelly stuff though...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Avon skin so soft bug repellent. download.jpg this is the best stuff i have ever used. Works for ticks, mosquitoes, and no see ems/sand gnats.
Its the only stuff that worked in Mississippi after Katrina. I would have to clean the tracks out on the excavators with a sharp shooter at the end of the day. That's when the no see ems were the worst. There is zero deet in it. I order the stuff on ebay as i don't know any avon dealers.

Whats the best bug repellent you guys have found for cutting in the summer months. In indiana the mosquitos and deer flies can make it miserable to be in the woods

Any of the repellants containing DEET.This stuff is so effective it's scary.I tried the avon stuff and I might as well have sprayed water on myself.Some added oil in the chainsaw fuel helps too.Until you shut down for a break.

Bugs usually don't get to me much either. Sure I get bitten some here and there but I just thought if I get sweaty enough and covered in wood chips/sawdust, it acts as a natural repellent.

The black flies are hellish here.

I go for max Deet content on the shelf - brand doesn't matter. Got a couple kicking around here. Muskol spray is one, other one is no-name Walmart stuff. The original Muskol in a bottle was wicked - think it was like 100% Deet. But don't think you can get that now.

Old Time Woodsman works well on mosquitoes and black flies. Not sure about deer flies. It has it's own 'unique' smell.... We used it on our skin and clothing in the mid-1970s in upstate New York(Warrensburg).

http://oletimewoodsman.com/

The main thing in all nondeet or nonpicaridin products is that they have enough smell to cover your scent to the insect... DEET and Picaridin does the same thing, without smelling so bad/much. There is also a newer chemical called IR3535 that also covers your scent.

Which contains 23% DEET.

Avon skin so soft bug repellent. View attachment 581470 this is the best stuff i have ever used. Works for ticks, mosquitoes, and no see ems/sand gnats.

And this stuff has the newer chemical called IR3535 . The original Skin so soft did not contain this, but Avon discovered that if they use IR3535, they can actually market a product that works well that contains no deet.

Old Time Woodsman works well on mosquitoes and black flies. Not sure about deer flies. It has it's own 'unique' smell.... We used it on our skin and clothing in the mid-1970s in upstate New York(Warrensburg).

http://oletimewoodsman.com/

The main thing in all nondeet or nonpicaridin products is that they have enough smell to cover your scent to the insect... DEET and Picaridin does the same thing, without smelling so bad/much. There is also a newer chemical called IR3535 that also covers your scent.

Which contains 23% DEET.
Interesting Re the IR3535/avon.I'll have to give it a try.
The black flies in NNY are murder BUT they're about done by the 4th of July at least in the Malone area.

And this stuff has the newer chemical called IR3535 . The original Skin so soft did not contain this, but Avon discovered that if they use IR3535, they can actually market a product that works well that contains no deet.

Sorry but for a moment I was memorized by the two lovely sights in your avatar....lol

Insect repellent I use is whatever has lots of Deet and is on sale.
I try not to spray the Deet directly on my skin but rather on my clothing.
I've recently liked Lowe's brand with Citronella in it as well as lots of Deet.
I also use a bug hat cover when they are thick.

Back