Build & Save the tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandiceOak

Reaction score
Hello, we love our Dallas, TX neighborhood and love our huge oak tree. However, our house is just too small for our family. We’re interested in a complete rebuild. But I’ve been told all the disruption from building will almost certainly kill our tree. Our lot is only IMG_0177.jpegIMG_0176.jpegIMG_0179.jpegIMG_0182.jpegIMG_0183.jpeg60’ wide. I’m hoping to get some preliminary feedback. Does it look like we could do a complete rebuild and still keep our tree? If saving the tree is very unlikely, we’d probably consider selling and buying/building elsewhere. Also, I don’t know if our neighbor’s large tree plays any factor, but included it in the photos also.

You’re talking bull doze the current house and start over with a larger foundation? If so, Have you priced that yet? Adding an addition outback or moving is probably the best answer. You’re not going to expand forward and hope that tree lives.

You’re talking bull doze the current house and start over with a larger foundation? If so, Have you priced that yet? Adding an addition outback or moving is probably the best answer. You’re not going to expand forward and hope that tree lives.
Yes, we would bulldoze the entire house and rebuild. We really want to start from scratch and likely do a two story, so some of the branches would have to be cut. I think our current house is already as close to the street as we’re allowed.
We have a general idea of the cost. The land alone is already worth more than 2.5 times what my husband paid for the house 15 years ago. We have people asking us every week if we want to sell. They would blade the house also, but wouldn’t be careful with the tree. Our neighbors two doors down had a huge Southern Magnolia when they bought their new home. They didn’t realize it was already starting to die when they bought the home.

This is just my opinion, but I'd move before I bull dozed my (otherwise perfectly fine) existing house to build something bigger, even more so if I was confident I could sell my existing place for a good price without having to wait forever. I'd put my time resources into finding the property that I wanted to build on first, and get it bought. If you've been in your place for 15 years, hopefully its almost paid for by now in which case I'd try to pay for the land up front if I could, and the take a mortgage out to build the new place so that when you sell the old house, it pays off the mortgage.

I was told the same thing about a dogwood tree when we built our pool. Dogwood made it 30 years. Most oaks last 100 years. How old is it? You take your chances. Would it be cheaper to sell, buy acreage, and build from scratch?

Hello, we love our Dallas, TX neighborhood and love our huge oak tree. However, our house is just too small for our family. We’re interested in a complete rebuild. But I’ve been told all the disruption from building will almost certainly kill our tree. Our lot is only View attachment 1162707View attachment 1162708View attachment 1162709View attachment 1162710View attachment 116271160’ wide. I’m hoping to get some preliminary feedback. Does it look like we could do a complete rebuild and still keep our tree? If saving the tree is very unlikely, we’d probably consider selling and buying/building elsewhere. Also, I don’t know if our neighbor’s large tree plays any factor, but included it in the photos also.
https://www.asca-consultants.org/

Go to this site and find someone in your area that is a consulting arborist. Have them come out and see if they can make a plan that will suite both the tree and your building asperations.

Regarding comments about moving…We would not be able to “buy into” a neighborhood as nice or convenient (We live in the city limits of Dallas). Location, location, location. We love many things about the neighborhood, but nothing about our current home. However the lot would change considerably without the beautiful tree. Just trying to understand if it’s a reasonable expectation that we could do a complete rebuild.
I don’t know how old the tree is ??

I was told the same thing about a dogwood tree when we built our pool. Dogwood made it 30 years. Most oaks last 100 years. How old is it? You take your chances. Woul
https://www.asca-consultants.org/

Go to this site and find someone in your area that is a consulting arborist. Have them come out and see if they can make a plan that will suite both the tree and your building asperations.
Thank you, we’re not ready to build or move yet. A qualified arborist will be a must should we move forward, but outside our budget right now. I was just hoping to have a general idea of whether or not it’s likely to keep such a huge tree on a small lot with a major rebuild. I’ve heard variable opinions, but not from anyone who knows much about trees. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Back