Building a Log Spliter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your story is one of the worst fab jobs most people will ever hear trying to build a log splitter, Unless you bought your power tools at the HARBOR FRIEGHT DISCOUNT BIN, China,? India,? Good tools are not cheap,.and cheap tools are not good, 750.00 for HOSES, Is there a crane built into that thing,?, even 450.00 you were seriousley takin advantage of,. Be honest,..you filled your torch tanks (4) times,?..for a spliitter project,... are they the little back pack size? If not Id be checkin the system for leaks, 100.00 for a jack and hitch, is twice as much as you can buy good quality stuff for at tractor supply,.. Any way what happened???, after all that, What are you breaking? after only 2 hours,.. can you post pics,

This ain't my first rodeo scooter!!!! You need to learn to use the search engine, and listen a bit before you get to carried away!! Did you miss the 27hp, 28GPM part?

Here's a link, the video is on the last page.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=32575&highlight=splitter+project

The best log splitter doesn't even use a hydraulic pump. And they only need 6.5 hp engine. They will also split well north of 2 cords on a single tank of fuel. :popcorn:

Scott
Thats assuming all of it is nice pretty strait grain wood with little or no knots in it otherwise your going to need hydraulics to bust tough oak crotches.

Hydraulics

The best log splitter don't even use hydraulic pumps. And they only need 6.5 hp engine. They will also split well north of 2 cords on a single tank of fuel. :popcorn:

Scott

True but,..Its nice to have hydraulics for the log lift, the conveyor, the adjustable wedge, And the hydraulic splitters make a decent press, Ive used my splitter for breaking down tires, vary quick and easy,..if you make a little flat plate to attach to the wedge,..T,C, E,J,

Thats assuming all of it is nice pretty strait grain wood with little or no knots in it otherwise your going to need hydraulics to bust tough oak crotches.

Not true. I have split 30inch plus elm with mine. It breaks oak crotches all the time. The wood doesn't have to be perfect. I but big knots all the time. I'll take some pic after the snow melts of what it will bust. How much of the wood you split is all knotty and crotches. I bet a lot less the what you consider nice pretty straight grain wood. If you trying to split wood for production and your counting on mainly splitting the knotty stuff with a lot of crotches your wasting your time.

Scott

Around 60-70% of the stuff I bust is knotty as heck and when I say knotty I mean six to twelve inch knots not to mention several of the logs are in the four foot diameter range and up to 24 inches thick.

What Happened

This ain't my first rodeo scooter!!!! You need to learn to use the search engine, and listen a bit before you get to carried away!! Did you miss the 27hp, 28GPM part?

Here's a link, the video is on the last page.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=32575&highlight=splitter+project

sawinredneck, I looked at your splitter pics but all I saw was an oversized cylinder, and beam, nice motor tho, your pusher shoe looks to short in length for a 5.3/4 bore cylinder, hows that wedge holding up, I also watched your video, I thought the cycle time was pretty slow, Given the size of the pump, and hoses, and 800.00 spent on them, looks like a 12 second cycle time, not good, especially the return stroke using a 3.5 in rod, I can understand your frustration, especially If it keeps breakin,. T,C, E,J

My splitter has a ~5sec stroke time (extending) ie about 2x as fast as the splitter in the sawinredneck's vid.

My specs.

18hp Briggs Intek V-twin
28 GPM Barnes two stage pump
Prince 5000 series valve
22 gal tank
3/4" hoses - 3000 psi rated
5" prince cylinder 2.5" rod

12" tall compound wedge
10" tall ram

It works great. I turned up the crossover just a bit to the second stage to keep it on high speed a little longer. The 18 hp engine is plenty for the pump.

It would be nice if it had a big rod like some of the timberwolf's but they are $$$. I still need to get the splitting table, log lift and hydraulic 4-way put on it but she has already split several cord with out them. All of the hydraulics are new so there is a fair amount of investment in those parts.

Sawinrednecks rig has some cool features. I wish I had the engine. Heck his cycle time is about half of what a lot of the store bought splitters have. The components in it are very heavy duty.

Don

Latest posts

Back