Building Log Lift, How to add 2nd Valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i may be wrong but if you T'ed into the pressure side you wouldnt get any function to build any pressure more than the resistance of oil flow thru the other valves neutral position. the oil would take the path of least resistance would it not? iv always wondered this because ive heard many people say "oh just put a T in ur pressure side and hook up another valve". this may work on a closed center system but from all my experience i dont see how it could in a normal open center. correct me if im wrong here

i may be wrong but if you T'ed into the pressure side you wouldnt get any function to build any pressure more than the resistance of oil flow thru the other valves neutral position. the oil would take the path of least resistance would it not? iv always wondered this because ive heard many people say "oh just put a T in ur pressure side and hook up another valve". this may work on a closed center system but from all my experience i dont see how it could in a normal open center. correct me if im wrong here

You are correct, circuits must be run in series. 'T'ing the pressure side will cause the hydraulic flow to take the path of least resistance...... which will be away from the cylinder which is doing the work. The only line you can 'T' is the return line going back to the tank.

Also..... I see alot of hydraulic experts online using (and advising others to use) pipe, and street elbows for hydraulic connections. These are commonly found in the plumbing section of your nearby Big Box home improvement store. Please....... only use hydraulic fittings when doing your plumbing. The only place it is acceptable to use street elbows in on your return line to the tank. Cast iron fittings are commonly rated to withstand 150 PSI , NOT the 2000 to 3000 PSI seen in hydraulic systems. If you use plumbing fittings on the pressure side of your system, you are asking for trouble !

Gangreen does NOT look good on you !

Thanks to all of you on this thread. This is good stuff. Reading this puts me in "hog heaven". I love it. I'm a fabrication freak and know just enough hydraulics to get myself if a bind. Some real killer splitters. The, to me, innovation is incredible. And thanks for all the pictures.

You folks are something. Butch, you explanation helped clear up a lot for me.

pt

Log splitter valves

Thanks for the info. I don't know yet about open and closed systems and but will here soon. I'm sure hearing many different views on hooking up valves in series and/or parrallel. I did solve my hook up with a dual spool valve but I need to know, still, the correct way of hooking valves up. No disrespect intended to any of you but I'm not sure who to believe about now. And I'm sure, at this point, it's mostly due to the fact that I still need to learn more about hydraulics. Good tip on the plumbing fittings, I see them on all kinds of hydraulic systems on the pressure side.

Latest posts

Back