Building shed for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepheniox

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been building a wood shed out of some wood I milled. The thing is looking awesome. I have the sides up and roof framed in, but I am wondering what would be best for roofing material tin, shingles, or I am thinking about using that green coragated plastic stuff. I think that it might actually heat the shed up a bit and dry the wood more, almost like a kiln. Anyone else ever do this and how did it work. I will try to post pictures later but I have lots of air movement through the shed so that won't be a problem with trapping the humidity in.

I'd say shingles, pretty simple to install, and sometimes can be found cheap if you don't care about colors.

OK I tried to get photos up but I can't get it to work the file size is to big. I will try again later when I have more time.

I just built a wood shed thats 31' long by 24' wide, No sides, just a roof, on one side the roof is the clear corrogated plastic so the sun can shine in on the wood, the other side is galvanized metal so I can work in the shade. Best part is I can fit my 16' trailer in and have the log splitter behind it, when it's raining I can be out there splitting and stacking. now I just need to add lights and a fan and I'll never have to leave. I have some pics, I'll have to dig them up and post them..

A couple of years ago, I built a firewood shed (precisely, just the roof, no walls) out of steel and tin.

thepheniox,

Since you build your shed in wood using your own resources, I would suggest to use shingles to keep it cheap.

My shed has a metal roof. 6x6 posts. Survived record snow this winter.

woodshedsnow.jpg

When I built mine I used corragated fiberglass like is used on a greenhouse. I think it does heat the shed up and dry the wood faster

The corregated fiberglass strips are not cheap. This pole wood shed, 6 cord capacity, has been up for almost 10 years. The fiberglass strips are not very sturdy, falling branches can poke holes, heavy ice can crack them. I should have gone with cheaper or free, used barn metal roofing or even shingles for durability. Also, the fiberglass roofing requires a special, fitted installed "footing" that was a PITA to build.

The fiber glass panels I used we off a greenhouse and I bought them for a 1.00 each and they covered 4 foot wide and 14 foot long. I wish I had bought more of them. They went on just like laying steel roofing and are yellowed from use but use to be clear. I have had some limbs fall on them but have never had a hole punched in one yet, but this was a concern I had when I used them. For the rafters in my shed I had a semi load of red pine logs stting here so I cut them on the mill to 8X8's and used this for the rafters and then I spaced 1X6 boards 12 inches apart as nail strips for the fiberglass. I used what ever I had on hand and the only thing I bought was a door track and some hinges. My posts are all 8X8's made out of electric poles that I traded for a saw mill job. I just cut flats on them.

If you really want to keep costs down, then look for mineral paper. It's like one giant shingle all rolled up. One roll is 3'x25' and only costs about $14.

Back