Built-in chain sharpener?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have one of those

i have one with parts. has bar chain. parts saw only. any one want it $25.00.
too many parts saw . have had these little buggers off and on. aint too bad until they brake down. fun too use. parts are too small to find when they viberate off. light weight easy to use when 30' up a tree.

I have one that I got for free.Put a new chain on it,took off that retarded sharp system.I runs ok ,I use it for roots and cutting PT wood.

I've actually got two of these little red Crapsman/Pull-on saws. I've even got the original plastic cases for them both. The one with the 16" bar has the sharpener and the lever-type tensioner. The one with the 14" bar didn't come with the sharpener, and it has a standard screw-type tensioner (tho it still has the "Chain Tighten -->" on the side cover). Interestingly, the 16" has a hole in the front of the case for the adjuster screw. If I ever run across the parts to install it on this saw I'll get rid of the lever deal. Timberrat, if your parts saw still has the adjuster and screw, I'd be interested in getting them from you. What I hate about working on them is that you can't adjust the carb externally.

Last edited:
I had a MAC 140 I picked up off the side of the road, in a case.

1 pull starter, and it had a little thing in the bar cover for a sharpening stone. I could never find the stone or the right chain..and it needed a clutch, so I tossed it..

Now I regret that, as that saw ran like new.

3.7 Barracuda

As I said earlier, the saw is almost 30 years. I pulled the muffler and the cylinder walls look pristine. It was advertised as having compression and no spark. I took it apart, cleaned it up, put the fouled spark plug on a grinder with a wire brush and lo and behold, the thing sparks like a champ. Next, I'm going to clean up the carb a bit before I fuel it and try to start it. I don't anticipate any problem. The funny thing is, it was coated with an oily gunk inside and out that looked like it was a mixture of oil and saw dust. That was the problem with the reverse chisel chain used for the self sharpener. It was a gimmick that didn't really work out. My thinking is that it's the original chain and was so dull that it made nothing but saw dust, so the saw wasn't used much at all. Slap a conventional chain on that beast and you have a really good wood chucker! It cleaned up real nice! I included a picture of the cylinder wall.
:chainsaw:

Sears Barracuda 3.7

This weekend I tore the top-end of the saw apart so I could access the carburetor and linkage. After cleaniing the carb, replacing the rotted foam under the manual oiler linkage and cleaning up all of the gunk deposited over the years, I reinstalled the carb and reassembled the saw. I was surprised to see that the carb gasket was pliable and the feul line flexible when I removed it. I think all of the oily gunk kept the fuel line and gasket from dry rotting. Anyway, I put it all back together, fueled it up and put oil in the chain oiler tank. I let it set over night to make sure there were no leaks. The next day I lifted up the saw and it was dry. I tried to start the saw, but couldn't get it to prime, so I poured some fuel into the carb and lo and behold, the beast fired up. I had to adjust the idle screw a bit, but the saw purred like it was new. I ordered a new 18" Oregon bar and chain to replace the old bar and Barracuda chain, so I hope to have the saw on line this week. I have a total of $65.00 invested in this relic. What a deal for such a powerful wood-chucker. It's a little heavier that the newer saws, but it's all metal and built rugged.

Art:chainsaw:

Back