Bur Oaks in Trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobdee

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have 3 good sized Bur Oaks in my front yard that have less and less leaves every year. It started at the top and is working it's way down. The leaves I do get don't seem to last to long and start to turn brown and fall off in mid summer. I had them tested for Oak wilt and it came back negative. One other Oak seemed to come back from the dead and looks like it might be ok except for a few dead branches on top. If this isn't Oak wilt, what could it be? Should they be cut down to help prevent spred to other trees? Thanks.

Road Salt? CC

The one picture shows the trees close to the road. Due they use Salt or Calcium Chloride on your roads in the winter? Trees seem very close to the snow plow lines.......

Nope, no salt on this road in the winter. It's kind a wierd cuz all the neighbors Oaks are fine, but mine have been dying.

End of the driveway close to the road root compaction maybe? Do you notice any lifting or heaving in the driveway or road?

You have ruled out the ever significant Oak Wilt. There are various insects and other fungal issues that oaks are susceptible to, of which you should see signs. Leaves with holes, dark spots, etc. A vascular wilt can cause dieback. This can be tentatively identified by taking a small dead limb, pealing back the bark and seeing if the cambium has dark streaks.

Oaks are also sensitive to root disturbance.

These trees appear to be entrapped on two sides by roadways. Trees can take a very long time to express root damage and many times this is through tip dieback. The smaller tree which came back may have been impacted less.

When was the road put in, was there any resurfacing done? Same questions with the driveway. Sprinkler systems, gas lines, anything...

Go back in your mind, think years, and start enumerating what has gone on in the life of these trees, especially that is different from your neighbor's healthy trees.

Note on weed and feed products: trees are broadleafed species and many trees are susceptible to the herbicides used in this common lawn maintenance product.

Sylvia

I have 3 good sized Bur Oaks in my front yard that have less and less leaves every year. It started at the top and is working it's way down. The leaves I do get don't seem to last to long and start to turn brown and fall off in mid summer. I had them tested for Oak wilt and it came back negative. One other Oak seemed to come back from the dead and looks like it might be ok except for a few dead branches on top. If this isn't Oak wilt, what could it be? Should they be cut down to help prevent spred to other trees? Thanks.

Rainfall? How much rain have you gotten this year and last? My Zipcode has a near record rainfall. Trees and Plants look lush, even at Home Depot right now. ;-)

You have ruled out the ever significant Oak Wilt. There are various insects and other fungal issues that oaks are susceptible to, of which you should see signs. Leaves with holes, dark spots, etc. A vascular wilt can cause dieback. This can be tentatively identified by taking a small dead limb, pealing back the bark and seeing if the cambium has dark streaks.

Oaks are also sensitive to root disturbance.

These trees appear to be entrapped on two sides by roadways. Trees can take a very long time to express root damage and many times this is through tip dieback. The smaller tree which came back may have been impacted less.

When was the road put in, was there any resurfacing done? Same questions with the driveway. Sprinkler systems, gas lines, anything...

Go back in your mind, think years, and start enumerating what has gone on in the life of these trees, especially that is different from your neighbor's healthy trees.

Note on weed and feed products: trees are broadleafed species and many trees are susceptible to the herbicides used in this common lawn maintenance product.

Sylvia

Our road was resurfaced 2 years ago, but the Oaks were getting bad before that. All the trees are close to the road and driveway, so maybe as they have gotten larger their root system gets more effected by this? I'll also check the cambium layer, thanks.

Rainfall? How much rain have you gotten this year and last? My Zipcode has a near record rainfall. Trees and Plants look lush, even at Home Depot right now. ;-)

Actually it has been very dry here for the last year. The local weather man says we are in a severe drought, but I live next to a lake and have a sprinkler system so the trees should get plenty of water, unless too much of their root systems are under the road and driveway and don't get enough?

Latest posts

Back