Burn a saw up using synthetic?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone hear Stihl was going to stop selling Dino "orange" mix soon. I stopped by my local dealer today to pick up some goodies and I was asking about the 4mix weedwhackers and one of the guys behind the counter said there were gonna stop selling the orange soon. Sounds nutty to me.

I doubt that it's so....but who know nowadays.
I have two dealers near me...about 30 miles apart.
The one "in town" only sells ultra and the blend...says nobody wants the orange dino anymore.
The other one "out of town" only sells the orange dino and the blend...says nobody wants to pay the extra $$ for the ultra.
Go figure???
:cheers:
J2F

I agree! The only thing I've ever needed to do as well is to clean the screen. Personally, I have used only Opti-2 (same ratio, as directed: one tube per gallon) in my trimmer/blowers/saws and have never had any problem of any kind.

thats why you run hp ultra from day one, and you never clog your screen, or foul a plug :)

I use Echo brand power blend and redmax synth oil in everything I own.JD weed wacker.Ms310/028.Never had a problem.But I got them new also.I use the best gas to.92 octane.

Pretty soon they will only want you to run synthetic cause they are leaning saws out more from the factory. My dealer said they had to richen up a lot of the new saws lately.

Pretty soon they will only want you to run synthetic cause they are leaning saws out more from the factory. My dealer said they had to richen up a lot of the new saws lately.

they have been leaning out some of the older "dirty" saws to try to squeeze by the epa. for example if we sell a 290, when we service it if it tacs at 12,500 Plus or minus 1,500 then we arent supposed to touch it. but, there is no way im lettin a new 290 out of the door spinning 14,000...

and i am switching as many customers as i can over to ultra. imo, there is no reason to run anything but the ultra in a peice of stihl equipment.

Good point Spank. Since everything is leaned out, synthetic makes even more sense. I ran my saws at 100:1 for a long time with no apparent damage. I think the synthetic will give you a larger margine of protection for the lean runners. I don't run my saws real lean, but I think you can mix at 50:1 with synthetic and be protected even with a new lean-runner.

they have been leaning out some of the older "dirty" saws to try to squeeze by the epa. for example if we sell a 290, when we service it if it tacs at 12,500 Plus or minus 1,500 then we arent supposed to touch it. but, there is no way im lettin a new 290 out of the door spinning 14,000...

and i am switching as many customers as i can over to ultra. imo, there is no reason to run anything but the ultra in a peice of stihl equipment.

This was on the new 261 also most of them come from the factory lean.

Yea my dealer will not touch my new saws to make them run alittle richer then factory set.He said he could lose his dealership.Like I am going to call in and tell yea wright..

This was on the new 261 also most of them come from the factory lean.

i havent serviced a 261 yet, but it would not surpise me. the only thing that never runs lean are the 4-mix trimmers i think. i know that stihl is trying to earn all of the "green credits" they can to keep the dirty saws like the boss that everybody knows and loves.

I've ran amsoil in my 1980 partner for the last 20 years at 100-1 and have 150 psi. Hasn't seem hurt it at all.

Latest posts

Back