Burning black walnut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
groundup - I have always heard its a great hardwood, its heavy and solid, yet easily to split and work with... We cut and split some a few weeks ago, a 2 year old log... Can't wait to burn it......

Alot of people sell it for furniture, flooring, gunstocks, other woodworking products, I bet it is worth more $$$ for that type of stuff. I think it would be worth your time to go get it !!!

I have burnt a small amount of walnut each year for the last 34 years and find that it burns best seasoned as it holds a lot of water and is best mixed with other woods and not burnt exclusivly by its self it is about in the mid range for heat value but as I scavenge most of my wood I wont turn it down and yes it cuts and splits very well.

I've burnt about a cord of it this year. I'd say it is comparable to the elm I'm also burning.

As mentioned - very easy to split.

As for heating value, Walnut provides about 22 million BTU/cord -- roughly the same as red elm, ash, & hackberry. And, it smells great when you're cutting it!!!

God bless,
Chris

I have burnt a lot of black walnut over the years and I like burning it. It has a great smell and burns pretty hot. And many have already mentioned very easy to split. It does hold a lot of water so I will usually season it for 2 years but once it is dry it burns very well. I have had some when I was knocking into managable chunks that the water was just running out of the wood.

Alot of people sell it for furniture, flooring, gunstocks, other woodworking products, I bet it is worth more $$$ for that type of stuff. I think it would be worth your time to go get it !!!

Absolutely. Big money if it's the right stuff.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

yup

Piece of cake to split, burns great. You can fill a truck up with that stuff in a hurry, cut, split, ready to season.

black walnut

we burn it at the greenhouse the coal furnance loves it,throws out the heat the hardy stove likes locus

Black Walnut

I currently have three cords that have been seasoning for 2 1/2 years now. I pick at the stacks to start my first burn of the day, followed by various hardwoods for the duration of the day. It lights easy, and burns hot, but quick. My chimney has stayed fairly clean since using the black walnut this way. If you have them in 8 foot lengths, check with a local saw mill. I bartered and traded 12 - 8 foot straight lengths of 16"-20" thick for 16 cords of hardwood in 20 foot lengths. As stated before, fine woodworkers have a demand for good black walnut, but any other part of the tree will burn nicely.

I am one that will burn much of anything that is wood based. I love burning black walnut it produces a nice bright flame and alot of heat. When I am out scrounging I am always keeping an eye out for it. That is one of the few chunks of wood that I will break the splitting maul and split by hand. It splits very easily and has beautiful colored grain.

STOP!! Black Walnut is wood gold. Before you burn, be sure you don't have sellable sawlogs: straight grained, 8+ feet long, no rot, perhaps veneer quality. Check with your county forester, hardwood mill, or high end furniture maker-------FIRST. You could buy a whole lot of cut/split/delivered hardwood for one marketable Black Walnut log. Hey, buy me some good single malt to boot.

If you have them in 8 foot lengths, check with a local saw mill. I bartered and traded 12 - 8 foot straight lengths of 16"-20" thick for 16 cords of hardwood in 20 foot lengths. As stated before, fine woodworkers have a demand for good black walnut, .
:clap:

STOP!! Black Walnut is wood gold. Before you burn, be sure you don't have sellable sawlogs: straight grained, 8+ feet long, no rot, perhaps veneer quality. Check with your county forester, hardwood mill, or high end furniture maker-------FIRST. You could buy a whole lot of cut/split/delivered hardwood for one marketable Black Walnut log. Hey, buy me some good single malt to boot.

Most of the wood that I am getting is loggers left overs.... They leave nothing of value behind.... :cry:

Walnut is disappointing for firewood other than the ambience smell. It is a hardwood, but not great for firewood. I have burnt a lot of it, and if I could take it back, I would save it for anything other than firewood. Im going to use any walnut I find in the future for making outdoor furniture, no mater how small the piece.

Back