Burning Coal??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwinch53

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is there anybody out there burning coal?? I live in mi and thought i burn a little coal and check it out...DW:cheers:

This is my first year burning coal. What i found out coal can only be used in a Coal stove because the grates allow air to rise through the coal and help it keep it's flame. You have to have a really hot wood fire with lots of hot red ashes and then put the coal on it for it to start. As far as using a regular fireplace to burn coal, well it is not possible from what i have tried.

This is my first year burning coal. What i found out coal can only be used in a Coal stove because the grates allow air to rise through the coal and help it keep it's flame. You have to have a really hot wood fire with lots of hot red ashes and then put the coal on it for it to start. As far as using a regular fireplace to burn coal, well it is not possible from what i have tried.

I used it in a franklin stove, worked fine if you had a good bed of coals to start it

I havent talked to him yet. He used to have a coal furnace when he was growing up. I remember him telling stories about it. I dont talk to him much.:cheers:

I havent talked to him yet. He used to have a coal furnace when he was growing up. I remember him telling stories about it. I dont talk to him much.:cheers:

Rookie1....do you know of anyone in mi or northern oiho that sell coal?? thanx DW:cheers:

No I dont. Im in the Cleveland area and I have never seen an ad or anything for it. I would say around here its rare to have coal. There are lots of ads for firewood though. You may have to find a trucking company that hauls gravel and the like. Maybe they can help.:cheers:

I used it in a franklin stove, worked fine if you had a good bed of coals to start it

Yep, I like too keep a bit around for last charge of the night before bed. Goes longer and sometimes I'll have some hot for the morning start. My Cookstove will burn it quite well.

I burn about 95% coal, 5% wood. I love it. It burn great and the burn times are WAY longer than any type of wood. Just be sure your combustion air comes in from UNDER the grates or the coal won't burn for squat. be sure and get a really good wood fire going with alot of glowing embers before throwing the coal on the fire.. I use an AHS multifuel boiler in my garage..

here is a great site about burning coal... www.nepacrossroads.com

Well what does your dad say about burning coal...I have a wood and coal furnace...never burnt coal before and really what I am looking for is a supplier in MICHIGAN...can anyone help out there? Rookie, thanx for the search reference..DW:cheers:

Did you try the phone book? maybe yellow-pages .com or something similar? If you type in coal, anything in your area should come up.

I burn about 95% coal, 5% wood. I love it. It burn great and the burn times are WAY longer than any type of wood. Just be sure your combustion air comes in from UNDER the grates or the coal won't burn for squat. be sure and get a really good wood fire going with alot of glowing embers before throwing the coal on the fire.. I use an AHS multifuel boiler in my garage..

here is a great site about burning coal... www.nepacrossroads.com

Thanks KTM, Good site! :cheers: My old Glenwood does coal quite well because of the air inlet under the grate. I wish I had a better supply of coal cause I'd use more. Right now (since the railroad stopped running) the only coal available is by the 50 pound bag and is called moist (low dust) coal? A guy selling coal stoves has it downtown.

i have about 40 coal mines all around me and none of them sell coal to individuals anymore. easy to get several tons free if u know a miner. anyway any1 ever burn coal in a hardy OWB, if so can i use my factory grates and can i do a coal wood mix, i can get coal for free less stress on my back.

Thanks KTM, Good site! :cheers: My old Glenwood does coal quite well because of the air inlet under the grate. I wish I had a better supply of coal cause I'd use more. Right now (since the railroad stopped running) the only coal available is by the 50 pound bag and is called moist (low dust) coal? A guy selling coal stoves has it downtown.

When my wife bought me a gas BBQ a couple years ago for Fathers Day, we were left with a supply of about 80lbs of the charcoal briquettes. I was a bit hesitant at first to try them in our Glenwood but tossed in a few to see how they'd go. Same experience as Zodiac. Used most of it when my supply of good coaling woods like red oak got in short supply late in the burning season.

NO MORE COAL FOR ME! Well i only wanted to test the waters and so i found some amish near me that have a sawmill and they sell a good coal ,anthracite
so i bought 4 bags and hurried home and it was just in time to reload my stove...had about 4" of good hard wood coals...spoke with firechief folk and followed their directions...Great was for a while...good blue dancing ladies and the everything was perfect...went to bed and about 4 hours later the fire was completly out....there is a sit http://nepacrossroads.com/ that i read and it is all about coal and such..a lot like our site...well any way a fellow has a 500 firechief like mine and he said he modified it to burn coal...the manufacture said he will void his warranty...I do not want that. mod my furnace in any way it burns wood very well..TO MUCH HASSLE...I will stick with my FREE ash, oak, maple and ect... Is there anyone out there that has a firechief wood furnace...would like to find out how it works for them. I am always wanting to learn more and fine tuning...DW:cheers:

my parents burn 95% coal, luckily here in PA it readily available. They go though about 4 ton a year and cost them 600 bucks for the winter. Way cheaper then electric and burns very well.

I used to buy it just outside of Sugarcreek. Cant remember the name of the place though.

Latest posts

Back