burning hedge.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean that one piece took 1500 years to get to that size ? or the tree died 1500 years ago and has yet to deteriorate ?

I tried to blow up one of the pictures a bit and had trouble seeing the annular rings. I would readily think it took that long to grow. Something that seems interestijng is the 7-8 lighter bands in the heartwood. As if the desert where it came from was wetter in those years. The last couple hundred years of the heartwood shows to be very dark. The first few hundred years could be dark just from age but makes me wonder if it might have been covered in ice part or most of its growing sesson. I might haver it backwards too. That the area it came from was a greener tropical enviroment when it was a sprout. Either way it is a great looking wood and shouldnt go in the firebox.

It would be interesting to get some seeds to germinate and see if it does any better in a moister climate. I can think of a spot in my yard (hint hint) that gets regular sun.

IWchart.jpg

Here is a site you may think of interest? Link:

Tryng to get you a picture of a very old tree,,,,, lighting is fighting me....

Here , cloudy day today, but you can sort of see.

What is not pictured is a radius larger then a gallon paint-pail, so many added years!

There is a lot I do not know about DI, but have been told that it's growing season is once a year, so a ring equals a year(?)

attachment.php

If I had searched then asked instead of the other way around I wouldn't have had to ask.

In my search there was an ad on phoenix craigslist for a Desert Ironwood tree pretty cheap too only $1250 for a 17 ft tree. Thats $2 per year of growth.

One thought I had was to graft a DI stem to a much faster growing similar root stock like say Black Locust and see if a tree 3X the size tree could be had in 1/100th of the time. Have to keep in mind that BL is an invasive and will start from root feeders.

Judging from the slow growth of the DI it shouldnt escape cutivation easily in other areas of the US.

If I had searched then asked instead of the other way around I wouldn't have had to ask.

In my search there was an ad on phoenix craigslist for a Desert Ironwood tree pretty cheap too only $1250 for a 17 ft tree. Thats $2 per year of growth.

One thought I had was to graft a DI stem to a much faster growing similar root stock like say Black Locust and see if a tree 3X the size tree could be had in 1/100th of the time. Have to keep in mind that BL is an invasive and will start from root feeders.

Judging from the slow growth of the DI it shouldnt escape cutivation easily in other areas of the US.

Now you know my interest in Hedge! $1200.00 for a sapling! :cheers:

Lighter, hard, if there is some grain to match the beauty of DI, it's a no-brainer when considering the price,,,,, the 18# chunk of DI firewood posted earlier, ran me $40 bucks.

I will always use DI , but could shave some weight off with Hedge.

I certainly understand it. Osage Orange was prized by the Osage Indians for its use in weapons and tools. Strong, flexible, dense and shock resistant. Used for war clubs, long bows and tool handles.

I'm just waiting for it to dry up enough to get in where there is hedge waiting to be thinned. I can get $1.50 a foot for 4-6" dia. and 6+ feet lengths for posts. I know there are trunks in there that are 14"+ DBH. That should be about 12" of heartwood for your use. When I can get to them I'll be cutting and grinning. This rain can't last forever, can it ?

It's finally sunny here!!
Good luck with the straight hedge:hmm3grin2orange:
I've been looking for two years for a 14" or better piece 6' long for a buddy that wants to try milling the stuff.
I'm still looking!!

Desert Ironwood

DI is found here in Tucson, AZ and many Parts of Sonora, MX. It is an extremely hard wood, Sparks definitely do fly out of it on occasion when cutting. You need to change out your chain consistently, but my oh my, FIREWOOD FROM HEAVEN!!!! I have many figurines made of DI (sharks, dolphins, bison, bears, ducks, roadrunners, and pelicans) that were hand carved by Seri Indians in Sonora. I believe that Mesquite is as hard as Hedge, Mesquite literally is a "weed" here in Southern AZ, great BTU's and awsome for grilling or barbecue.

Hmmm, I think I'm feeling ill and need to go home.... yeah, and I need to stop off at the store to buy some steaks chicken, and some shrimp 'cause you know you have to feed your immune system to fight off any illness.... and your meals need to be hot and contain lots of protein.... and maybe I'll feel better tommorow..., and boy, this weather is just about right for splitting wood, and......:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :laugh: :cheers:

If only it was this easy to call out sick....Whatever!!!

Have a great day, fellas.

valleyboy

It's finally sunny here!!
Good luck with the straight hedge:hmm3grin2orange:
I've been looking for two years for a 14" or better piece 6' long for a buddy that wants to try milling the stuff.
I'm still looking!!
If I had gotten the word sooner I would have had you a piece.

I took a load of limbs, curlies and such to the city wood dump at noon, a day like anyother. I had 2 saws on the truck cause I was headed out to get posts after lunch. The sun was out and there was a bit of wind. I hoped I'd be able to get in to the pasture to cut. I figured I might hit somethimng worth taking out of the wood dump with me but never faired to well in the past there. I usually cruise arounf the pile once or twice. This time I noticed a good load of Red Elm and some hard Maple just a little bit off from it. A Pile of Cataulpa poles, some yard waste and tomato plants. Tree of Paradise some pecan trimming, Around the corner of the pile there were some Mullbery sticks poking out. A Pile of hedge balls off to the side but no wood , I thought Ok well I misssed that one. Until I rounded the corner a bit more. I spotted a log next to the big pile. There sits this log , prettiest yellow green you ever seen. It was about 10 ft long and sound looking. Behind it was a pile of wood pushed up with a dozer from the same tree. This pile was pretty good sized like they hadn't burned in a while. about 45 feet long 12-15 feet high and a good 30 feet wide. Most of it looked to be all Hedge with a bit of Blackust in there. One end was a big cottonwood stump and the trash brush off it. Sorta masked off the good stuff till I got around where It was.

Did I go to cutting you ask ? Well... yah !!

The log was 24 inches at the base, 10 feet long. I sank the dogs in the wood and burried a 20 inch bar in the small end and went to work on it, and the pile. 3 hours later I hadnt made a dent in the pile and was on my second big load. I know the ol'boy that runs the place and he said there had been 10 loads taken out from the pile already before I got there. So nice that he called, He knows I burn wood for heat and sell what I don't use. Any way I came back a half hour before close after picking kids up from school and started in again. He kept the gate open an extra half hour to let me have at it some more. :cry: They usually burn on the days they are closed which means tomorow I couldn't get back in there if I wanted to. It was a mad dash for me trying to get at it. I hadnt realised I didnt have a chain longer than 2-3 ft with me to puul anything out of that twisted up mess on the first load. You can bet I did on the second load though.

I had one of the boys count rings on it and mark every ten years. The first 8 years or so was carpenter ants but the rings showing were 96. Oh man I wish I had a camera. It had 1/2 inch of sapwood or less in all the old growth. I whacked a couple of chunks with the axe and they split apart with a pop like cracked glass. It helps to know where to hit them. With any luck the dozer operator/fire tender will be off tomorrow. I think I will swap a day at work and be there first thing when they re-open the gates to us public folk.

You know I will be one tired dude filling the truck all day again and hopefully trailer if I can get it out. I hope there is no smoke coming from the pile. That means it will be gone or you cant dump/cut in that area. Supposedly the trunk is still in there. I spotted a few more stems that pretty closely matched what I started on not to deep in the pile. I just couldn't get to em to get a chain around any. I did pull out an 8" X 8 foot post with about 6 feet of it straight but I was beat and it was all I could do to get it on. Posts bring better money than firewood for me when I can get straight stuff.

This is one tree that I wont be taking much of the small stuff. It is going to go to waste anyway so I think I'll be greedy and just go after 4"+ stuff and see what I can drag out of that pile worth getting.

Sawingredneck, I'll PM you if I get in there before they set a match to the monster plie and can come out with anything close to what you mentioned.

What a day. Just glad I didnt have anymore trouble than sharpening chains and a sore back.

Oh BTW I thought I'd see how well it burns fresh cut split one of the smaller round and got it started with some good dry hackberry and it took its tom,e to light off but there aint no stopping it now. Got all the air shut off, the only thing it is getting is from the leak around the door and it is sitting there pretty as you please glowing hot with nice blue flames for the last couple of hours and hant used 1/8 of what went in there. It is going to be toasty in here come the middle of January, even if it isnt quite ready by most accounts . Hedge , gotta love it.

Last edited:
It's a free dump to the public. There is no charge for homeowners unless you are getting paid or do it commercially. I think the one in Winfield is the same way. They also have free compost where they run it through a grider and lay it out in 6-8 foot wide rows 4 feet high 100 feet long.

The deal is, when getting wood that they can't give you permission because of liability reasons. But ! they woun't run you off if you start a saw and take out more'n you brought in.

He does like Pizza Hut Hot-Wings though. Looks like I will have to drop him off a box of them and a Bottle of cold pop some evening when I come calling on his step daughter. Or just show up with them around lunch time at his work. Just so he knows what they are for.

I had forgotten how sticky the sap was when cutting hedge during the growing season. Sure glad I have a handful of spare chains in the sawbox. I would have been a lot longer getting what I did in a limited time. Stopping every every 20 minutes on the big stuff would just take all the fun out of it. I had only figured on one big load of 6-8 foot posts and just taking my time at a leisurly rate, I'm feeling it this morning.

Huge difference between cutting in some nice soft Oak or Mullberry compared to cutting in REAL hardwood. Especially when you hit a knot thats as hard as stone. You sure dont want to take the rakers down any, just let them wear down on their own.

Stick with the wood, stay away from the wemin!!!! They'll git ya!!!!

Sounds like a day!!! Nice find!

If you do find it, send a PM to "Oldsaw" Mark as well. He's the one looking for it. I still think he's nuts, but he likes his mill so......................................

eh she dont care for my cologne (32:1 Hight Test) so much. Maybe she thinks the sweet sissy stuff some of those $50 haircut guys wears is better. Couldnt tell ya, not to worry though , my wood is safe and there aint no giving away the pair for a peach again.

Sad news . they burned the pile this morning before they opened. The firetender came early. He had another spot to do and wanted off early. The hedge is still popping and cracking when I left. I couldnt even get close enough to hook a big chunk and drag it to the ditch to quench it.

Headed out out now to go find something to tear up with the saws. I'll keep an eye on the dump for more to come in. I guess the city is putting in more tennis courts spomeplace and the treees have to go. The little bit of Maple I brought back just wasn't the same.

Step-daughter!?! I know guys that would sell their souls for a load of Hedge, but your Batchelor-hood? I hope you are careful.

Winters coming and I do like to stay warm. I was thinking more along the lines of the hedge AND the step daughter for a box of chicken wings. I'd even throw in the bottle of pop for boot to sweeten it up for him. I mean come'on I cant get too carried away going after Hedge. I still gotta feed her so she is going to be costing me money.

I was out to the widows after bringing home the Maple. I went to the door to see if she had any prefferences where I start. Thankfully she didnr go out and start pointing out limbs over this and that here and there like one guy did that said he had stacks of it , just come after it. Anyway she points me to a decent looking one about 100 yards off from the house. I head in there to go after it and it is pretty much all 8"-10" stems 8 feet long with a trunk a little more'n knee high. I got some firewood out of it 4 loads of brush so far that are going in a burn pit and several fence posts so far.

The hired man came back from town and said that one wasn't what he had in mind and took me for a ride in another pasture. Pointing out some a bit more promising for bigger stuff. He semed OK with a 4:1 split and would help with the cleanup

Saturday I'll be back at the city wood dump to pick up a load of something that came in today after I left. I'll see if there is anymore of the hedge they might be bringing in. The pile should be cooled off by then and I'll see if I can get to that big chunk that I had to leave behind. I think the next couple of nights will be a good time to get the trailkler out and ready for a bit of grunt work.

Back