burning locoust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brown2501

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i have a chance of gitting free locoust next weekend never burned it befor wondering how much heat ? how long to season ? is it worth it ?

Take all you can get! Seasons quick, should be ready for the 2010-2011 season. Puts out incredible heat and leaves lots of coals. I've never had anything better than locust.

Locust burns really hot its a great wood, i usually try to mix it so im not burning it straight... when i burned it straight for too long in my woodstove it melted the grate and it hangs a few inched lower, in my OWB i have a large woodshed filled with mixed hardwoods and various softwoods so i don't worry about it. It seasons quick but i find i get a better burn when it is mixed...Paul

Locust is my favorite wood,period. You can do so much with it,like barn posts to fence posts,to really good firewood. I usually save any straight logs from 7 foot up,for posts. A 12 to 14 inch post(dia.) and bigger can be split very easily into rails for fence posts and last as long or longer then the best treated posts. All the crooked pieces and limbs become fire wood.

the local mill i buy firewood at ( I'm working 60+ hours a week right now, give me a break) saves all their locus for the "premium" customers. i saw a stack of 10 ft locus logs and tried to bribe them out of it, left with a load of red oak. locus is the best, period. it does have a little stink sometimes if you try to smother it down over night.

I luck out and the place i cut is all dying or dead locust, burns realy well hot and long

I've cut logs that have been on the woods floor for years. They look rotten, but when you cut into them they are harder than a rock. They grow like weeds around here and are by far the best for firewood. I didn't get alot cut this year, but will be getting some for next year.

Have cut about 2 cords of Black Locust this winter, this tree is a real weed around here too, grows uncontrollably in fence lines. Doesn't it seem like the weedy trees make the best firewood!!!

I've cut logs that have been on the woods floor for years. They look rotten, but when you cut into them they are harder than a rock. They grow like weeds around here and are by far the best for firewood. I didn't get alot cut this year, but will be getting some for next year.
:agree2:
I cleaned up a pasture that had a bunch of fat 15 foot long locust trunks that had been used as horse jumps. Had to have been laying out there for at least 6 years. Outside 1/8 inch was punky, but the rest hard and solid.

Some's burning in my stove right now.

first time I got locust, didnt know what it was. Once I had it, I wish I had more! It smells funky when you split it, the stuff I got had a bunch of ants in it, but man, it burns really good. I got a lady at work that said a storm last year that came through knocked a bunch of Locust down and said I could take whatever was down....getting over there this spring.

Good stuff. About the same as oak. Not only do you get the wood but the bark is great kindling.
When I told this one guy I had a load of locust i would drop off for 65 bucks and he told me he didn't like to burn locust i knew right away I was dealing with an idiot who didn't know his ass from good firewood.

Its very rare to cut into a locust tree around here and not see ants. They like to hollow them out, especially the dead trees. Even then I split the rounds, knock them out and stack it. I've known people to pile the wood and burn it because of ants.

Back